Which Motorbike To Buy For Town, But Maybe Some Trips?

I have owned tons of bikes in Thailand but I am probably most happy with the one I have now - CBR 250. It is perfectly OK for Bangkok traffic as it nips through the "parked" cars admirably. For country trips - bearing in mind I am not a large or heavy guy - it is perfectly tolerable. I just went to Khon Kaen and back at the weekend. I bought it for 100K in 2011 and all it has needed are what you'd expect like filters, batteries and break pads. Always brilliant and prompt service with a smile. New tires due this year.

The OP seems ready to upgrade to a better bike with a different style of riding. CBR with practice is fine.

Theft. Most of the time in Thailand you are parking around some kind of security. But I have left my bikes everywhere and never heard of theft. Sometimes I cam back to someone sitting on my better bikes. On one I used to have a remote start available at about 20/30 meters distance. I used to scare the bejezus out of anyone who was found sitting on my chopper.......great fun!

Rooster

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

With your level of procrastination i can see you getting a car

Need another residence certif in order to buy a bike. Takes at least 3 weeks in BKK to get one. I've got appt at embassy Feb 27 to get. So, have more time to think, experiment.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, papa al said:

Underbone for rent.png

Could maybe rent-

to-buy that Suzuki Shooter ~15-18,000-baht.

Nice mags. + +

Carrot basket. +

Maybe 115 cc.

Love you long time.

//Waves are stolen more often, for parts.

// Waves are not sold as quickly as other bikes.

People keep them;

or sell to friends.

New 110i, mags, ~44,oooB

125cc ~55KB.

Super EZ resale, 

esp the 125.

Edited by papa al

I was a wee bit concerned about CVT when I bought a Vespa. It took a bit of getting used to  especially riding slow in traffic and there was a slight "disconnect" between throttle and action  Needed a delicate touch, or a big handful, on the throttle but after that it was fine. 

Had to sell it as job was cancelled but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Edited by VocalNeal

On 2/5/2020 at 2:39 PM, OliverKlozerof said:

For those of you who prefer gears & clutch or semi automatic over full automatic scooters, what are your reasons? 

1. I just never had an automatic bike or a car with automatic. Having gears and a clutch gives the rider more control. How much that actually matters? I don't know.

2. Using the clutch and gears does not require any thinking after a short while. You just do it. In that way there is no negative aspect of having a bike with gears and clutch.

3. Once someone asked me to ride a automatic bike for a few hundred meters. I didn't know how. It has a lever on the left hand but I think that was the rear brake. And it seems to start the bike I should have pressed both levers left and right. I don't know how common that is but at least for me it was confusing. And how might people who are used to such levers ride a big bike? Especially in an emergency situation?

If every bike I use has always a front brake on the right, a foot brake for the rear, and the left lever is a clutch then I am sure I will never get confused.

4. It's fun - like driving a car with a stick. 

Well, I found out Fatboys near Sathorn offered 1-hour manual motorcycle lessons so today I did that. Of course I didn’t become an expert in that time, but we ran a course of backstreets about 8 times and I got pretty well acquainted with shifting between gears 1, 2, 3 and neutral. 

I also told the instructor that, though I knew it was a tall order, I wanted to buy a bike that, while not ideal for either town or longer trips, could work in both situations fairly well. Well, it turns out he recently bought a brand new bike that fits that description pretty well. He loves it. Can anyone guess what it is? :-) 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Well, I found out Fatboys near Sathorn offered 1-hour manual motorcycle lessons so today I did that.

Lots of people just talk, you do. Great!

Fatboys is an interesting name. Did you learn gears on a 300kg Harley? ???? 

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

1. I just never had an automatic bike or a car with automatic. Having gears and a clutch gives the rider more control. How much that actually matters? I don't know.

2. Using the clutch and gears does not require any thinking after a short while. You just do it. In that way there is no negative aspect of having a bike with gears and clutch.

3. Once someone asked me to ride a automatic bike for a few hundred meters. I didn't know how. It has a lever on the left hand but I think that was the rear brake. And it seems to start the bike I should have pressed both levers left and right. I don't know how common that is but at least for me it was confusing. And how might people who are used to such levers ride a big bike? Especially in an emergency situation?

If every bike I use has always a front brake on the right, a foot brake for the rear, and the left lever is a clutch then I am sure I will never get confused.

4. It's fun - like driving a car with a stick. 

I got used to auto scooters when I bought my pcx app 6 years ago but riding bikes with gears/clutch is still what I am most used to because I done it for so many years, it's sitting in the back bone so to speak.

I do prefer an auto scooter for downtown Pattaya but like the gears on the big bike when out on the highways.

It can be a problem when shifting between the bike & scooter but as I said, gotten used to it. I also have two different mindset when riding the two, on the big bike I always gear up with minimum: Full-face, mesh jacket, boots & gloves. On the scooter: top hat helmet, finger-less gloves and whatever clothes I am wearing that day.

Had some very close calls on the scooter while riding downtown Patts, some tourists just walking out on the street without looking, idiots on rented scooters/bikes that have no clue when they are doing and so on. I just follow the general scooter traffic when riding downtown, so typically 50-60km/h and not going like a crazy and racing somebody. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Well, I found out Fatboys near Sathorn offered 1-hour manual motorcycle lessons so today I did that. Of course I didn’t become an expert in that time, but we ran a course of backstreets about 8 times and I got pretty well acquainted with shifting between gears 1, 2, 3 and neutral. 

I also told the instructor that, though I knew it was a tall order, I wanted to buy a bike that, while not ideal for either town or longer trips, could work in both situations fairly well. Well, it turns out he recently bought a brand new bike that fits that description pretty well. He loves it. Can anyone guess what it is? ????

And here's the answer to the above question:

The Honda Forza 300. Surprisingly, this is the same bike I'd been honing in on as a compromise between the two scenarios. Still haven't committed to anything, but I can see why he likes it. He just got the 2019 model (or maybe 2020). THB 169,000, which is the same price quoted by my neighborhood shop. For some reason I think I've seen new ones for around THB 145,000 on FB Marketplace. (He also said he knew of a 2019 model at a shop in Pattaya that had recently been returned for around THB 120,000.) Of course, there are used ones on FBMP for half of new price or less. But I can also see the arguments for 1) getting two bikes; one for each scenario, or 2) getting a small bike for town and renting a larger one when want to take a longer trip.
https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/scooter/forza-300/overview.html

Edited by OliverKlozerof
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

The Honda Forza 300. Surprisingly, this is the same bike I'd been honing in on as a compromise between the two scenarios. Still haven't committed to anything, but I can see why he likes it. He just got the 2019 model (or maybe 2020). THB 169,000, which is the same price quoted by my neighborhood shop. For some reason I think I've seen new ones for around THB 145,000 on FB Marketplace. (He also said he knew of a 2019 model at a shop in Pattaya that had recently been returned for around THB 120,000.) Of course, there are used ones on FBMP for half of new price or less. But I can also see the arguments for 1) getting two bikes; one for each scenario, or 2) getting a small bike for town and renting a larger one when want to take a longer trip.

In case you didn't notice it. That thing is HUGE. Forget about zipping between cars. That won't work most of the time.

IMHO the Forza is only good for roads without traffic. I know some people here think it's small. It's not! If you think it's small try a small bike like the Raider 150 and feel the difference. Personally I would never consider such a bathtub for Bangkok traffic.

And the Forza is also way too big for most motorcycle parking spaces. They have to park in the BIG bike area, with a 25 HP engine - 555.

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 1

I have Forza 2016 and love it,  beware of cheap Forza on FB market place, they are probably ex-rental and/or not in good condition. Forza spare and repair is twice as expensive of smaller scooters, so if faulty it cost a lot to get in good condition,  unlike a Click...

Forza us a bit big and heavy, ideal for road and longer trips, it's okay for occasional town and traffic trips, but not first choice,  saying that I have been happy with it everywhere...

In your case I recommend PCX or NMax if you can afford it,  no brainer really....

I can no longer bother with manual or semi auto if I can ride a nice quality scooter..., and the last thing you want is year shifting in Bangkok traffic... !? Just forget it, get an auto...

Edited by Agusts
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

A friend has a Forza and doesn't use it, prefers his Click 150i, would probably sell it to you if interested. I imagine it's like riding an armchair

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

For those who say lane splitting is a no-no with a Forza, here is a comparison

Forza - 201kg, 755 H (seat) 2185 L 750 W

PCX - 130kg 765 H 1930 L 740 W

So ... Forza is 10mm wider than a PCX

Oh Woe is Me - How will it Ever Fit

Yes, on the paper it's really nothing in it, but from experience I can tell you due to the heavy weight and bigger front fairing and the handle bar, longer wheelbase, the maneuverability of Forza in small spaces is a lot harder than say Click or even PCX or similar. Even getting it in and out of small parking spaces or pushing it back in a slope is a bit of work for a small/short person.

Saying that I get by in Phuket traffic and love the ride, but if I was going an hour or two in traffic of Bangkok every single day, I would not use a Forza....

Edited by Agusts
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

For those who say lane splitting is a no-no with a Forza, here is a comparison

Forza - 201kg, 755 H (seat) 2185 L 750 W

PCX - 130kg 765 H 1930 L 740 W

So ... Forza is 10mm wider than a PCX

Oh Woe is Me - How will it Ever Fit

Suzuki Raider:

Wheelbase: 1280mm

Width: 652mm

Dry weight: 106kg

Yes, it makes a big difference.

One number which I don't see in specs is the turn radius. Try a right angle turn between two standing cars with the PCX or even worse the Forza. And then just wait because it's impossible. 

• Like 1

Me with my instructor yesterday. I was on a Honda 125 (not Wave...forgot model...it was fine). You can see his new blue Forza in background. Of course I asked him how it was weaving through traffic, on longer trips. He said while you can't go at right angles like a Wave or the small bikes, he just folds in the mirrors and does fine. Said was very smooth for longer trips...heavy enough not to be bothered by wind, for example. I'm sure some wouldn't like it. I've never ridden one, so don't know myself. But he obviously knows motorcycles and he loves his. Lot's of storage, key fob must be within a few feet to start, legs out of the rain.... I still haven't decided...am thinking of going down to Hua Hin for a while and renting a few bikes to ride around on there. Part of me likes the classic look of a cafe racer.... Much more to experience and learn. No rush to buy one either. But after Feb 27 I'll have the residence certif if I decide to.

fatboys-2.jpg

If the second guy is you, then you are on a Honda MSX, that's the smallest 125 bike there is, ideal for small Thai teenage girls....lol

Too small for your height and weight, looking at you, any 125 bike will be too small, try renting a Aerox 155cc, that might be able to give you enough power to enjoy some acceleration..., then again that's a bit cramped on legs, so back to PCX or NMax, I'm sure if you rent different ones for a day each, you find what you like - my last advice = go auto, life is too short...! lol