Which Motorbike To Buy For Town, But Maybe Some Trips?

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Am sure many Falang want to buy a 12+ year old bike to ride around on

I know - lets Monkey !!!

232 lbs  46.5" L 30.6" seat height

Look like the proverbial ------- a football

I am not sure if your 12+ is supposed to be about the age of the rider or the age of the bike.

They are now available brand new: https://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/en/bikes/raiderr150/

Yes, the bike is small. But that does not mean they are uncomfortable. I am >185cm and not exactly small and the Raider is comfortable (on short trips). And because the center of gravity is low and the weight is low and the wheelbase is short that makes them very nimble. 

And personally I care more about how fast and comfortable I get through the traffic and not so much if I look great on that bike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Raider ... coming to a soi near you.  How's 140 kph sound?  (Splat?)

Edit: Marc Márquez won the 125cc motorcycle Grand Prix championship in 2010.  Little bikes lead to big things.  Beware.

image.png.d862c57af6b102c6923bb126283ee457.png

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 2

Yeah a few people have tried to talk me out of even getting into motorbikes.... A friend sent me this link yesterday. But I'm going to keep exploring the idea...for now at least...doing my best to be safe, drive extremely defensively, wear the right gear, etc., etc.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/thailand-roads-deadly-traffic-accidents-class-inequality-a9071696.html

29 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Yeah a few people have tried to talk me out of even getting into motorbikes.... A friend sent me this link yesterday. But I'm going to keep exploring the idea...for now at least...doing my best to be safe, drive extremely defensively, wear the right gear, etc., etc.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/thailand-roads-deadly-traffic-accidents-class-inequality-a9071696.html

I think there are basically the following options:

a) Use something "big" like a car or a bus or the Skytrain which often takes a long time

b) Use motorcycle taxis

c) Ride your own bike

Personally most of the time I don't want to waste my time with a)

b) is ok for short trips from time to time or at night after a few drinks

c) is in my opinion most of the time the best choice because it depends a lot on ourselves if we live another day. I think that is a lot better than blaming someone else like in option b)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Get the Aerox or an Nmax (better brakes). Both capable of short day trips as well as excellent in Bkk's traffic. Forget PCX, brakes are sh#t, I know cause I own one. Forget manual bikes too, ain't nice in heavy traffic. And no, your'e not ready for a big bike yet..maybe someday..

I know the guys at Fatboys, I sometimes bring my bikes to them for maintenance.

Edited by alx123

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

The brakes on YOUR PCX may be bad ...

Mine are not

It's not bad but the drum brake is obsolete and not even close when it comes to performance compared to the ABS equipped disc brakes of its competitor. 

I doing my best improving my rear brake by upgrading to better brake shoes and constantly cleaning the drum, it's improved from the original but still not at par. The linked brakes made it worst too. Honda should just equip it with disc brakes and ABS. 

Once you've tried riding an ABS equipped bike, you'll instantly realize how much better and safer it is. 

I have no complains with my PCX, except for its brakes. I'm just trying to help the thread starter make a more informed decision.

Edited by alx123
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 8:59 AM, canthai55 said:

Am sure many Falang want to buy a 12+ year old bike to ride around on

I know - lets Monkey !!!

232 lbs  46.5" L 30.6" seat height

Look like the proverbial ------- a football

Unsure why it would need to be a 12 year old bike. They have a current model right here: https://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/en/bikes/raiderr150/

One big benefit of the Raider over many other models is the linkage rear shock absorber. It will give a far superior ride even if aftermarket shock and spring is not changed to suit rider's mass compared to the rigid swingarm models like the Honda Click. Might be worth noting for people who like to do a bit more riding out of the city limits.

To the OP, you should be commended on learning to ride a bike before you head out on the roads here. They really can be dangerous. By taking the steps to educate yourself you have minimised that risk greatly already.

Work hard on your slow riding. Practice in carparks. If you choose to buy a bike with a clutch, learn to ride the clutch to ride as slowly as you can with good balance.

• Like 2

Re: Yamaha Aerox 155

1)

Chris at Skootz, where I rented it, said one thing he didn't like about it so much was that compared to the Honda PCX (which appears to compete with), the gas tank was not very big. PCX's tank quite big he said. So on longer trips he finds himself having to pull in for fuel more often. Not a deal breaker, but interesting comment. (Otherwise, he said he really likes it.)

2)

He had 3 of them in front of his shop and asked me which one I wanted, to which I said, 'Beats me.' So, he recommended the one I took cuz it had fancy 'gas' rear shocks (see photo). Well as I said when I hoped on it I couldn't believe how stable/smooth/solid it felt. Do you think this gas shock (which he said is not aftermarket, but just a higher option), made a big difference? That is, if I had tried one of the other two, would I have felt a difference?

3) 

I told him I thought maybe the PCX would hold it's value better, since Honda is so respected in Thailand. But he said more of his customers have been requesting the Aerox and he thought it would hold its value.

Aerox 155 rear suspension.jpg

Edited by OliverKlozerof

Quit thinking about which one will hold it's value more, it's a cheap scooter, it will not matter in a few years. New models come out every year, all brands will depreciate considerably. Also, the gap between Yamaha and Honda values are closing in. Buy the one that will meet your needs and will satisfy you instead.

The rear shock probably contributed to the overall feel of the Aerox, but it's more likely that the bigger tires and the extra weight of the scoot largely contributed to the stable and solid feel. 

Edited by alx123
im awesome
  • Like 2

Bike No. 3 is a Honda PCX 150cc scooter. Several people have recommended it. This one unfortunately has not been maintained that well. It’s got plenty of power but is jerkier and less stable than the Yamaha Aerox. But obviously much more bike than the Wave 110. I rode it to a golf course outside of Hua Hin. Was fun on the curvy rode in the hills. 

p1.thumb.jpg.a8198c61a05389ccf1ba31f87b58af6c.jpg

p2.jpg

Good that you test all these bikes. By now you have probably more experience with many different bikes than most members here.

You will always have the tradeoff between storage space and bike size. And I think that is the moment when it becomes very important where and how you use your bike. In the middle of the worst traffic in Bangkok size makes a big difference and personally I think something like the PCX is too big for Bangkok traffic. If you ride a bike you wear your helmet and you can use a backpack. And if your bike is parked just lock your helmet - it does not have to be inside the bike. If you try that NMax try it in Bangkok, at least if that is where you intend to use it. I am pretty sure you will soon decide it's too big.

And about jerkiness, etc. I didn't test all those bikes but I know from experience that some bikes perform bad in certain areas even if they are brand new. For other bikes certain problems depend on the setup and maintenance. I.e. my KTM Duke 390 engine does not run smooth under 4,000 RPM (because it's too lean because of emission restrictions). That's the way it is with this bike, even brand new. And then there are problems like i.e. not smooth brakes or clutch - which I start to see now on my Suzuki Raider, which is already a couple of years old. I am sure that will be fixed with the next service sometime soon. It depends...

If you like have a look at forums (not on TV) which concentrate on specific bikes. Then you soon learn if specific problems are fixable (and how) or if they are normal for this and that bike and you have to live with them.

8 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

How many Waves in BKK ?

Handlebars - 69 cm  Mirrors 80 cm LOA 187 cm

PCX - 71cm and 85cm and 193 cm

So 2.5 cm - 1 inch will make a big difference ???

Look at the bikes when they are next to each other and you will see a BIG difference.

Just open your eyes - 555.

Honda_Wave_110_L_1.jpg

new-honda-pcx-150-esp-white-my-2018-fron

Edited by OneMoreFarang
pictures added

I am sometimes in very dense traffic in Pattaya on my pcx and the limiting factor is the mirrors but it's a very minor problem.

But I like those original mirrors so I keep them because they do their job so well. I see all those modified pcx in Pattaya and the mirrors are off-course also changed. I don't know what they did to the engine, but they are fast compared to my stock one. 

On 1/26/2020 at 7:11 PM, scubascuba3 said:

There was a survey done a few years ago and it showed that those guys with bigger bikes had lower IQs, a definite link apparently. Probably the caveman mentality

I think that one was about Harley Davidson riders. It said they had small penises too.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:38 PM, canthai55 said:

For those who say lane splitting is a no-no with a Forza, here is a comparison

Forza - 201kg, 755 H (seat) 2185 L 750 W

PCX - 130kg 765 H 1930 L 740 W

So ... Forza is 10mm wider than a PCX

Oh Woe is Me - How will it Ever Fit

PCX and Forza, both large pigs, too big to drive and squeeze between the cars. Get a click 125/150 for ease of shopping and to carry stuff. If you need to travel get a second bike.

• Thanks 1