Which Motorbike To Buy For Town, But Maybe Some Trips?

31 minutes ago, gargamon said:

PCX and Forza, both large pigs, too big to drive and squeeze between the cars. Get a click 125/150 for ease of shopping and to carry stuff. If you need to travel get a second bike.

i ride from Pattaya to Sattahip a couple times a week (33km each way) on my Click 125i and it's fine, no need to get a bigger bike unless you want to go 100+ all the way and then the danger element increases a lot

• Like 1

Now back in BKK, I've rented 2 more bikes from Fatboy in On Nut: a Yamaha Filano 125 and an NMAX 155. Here's what I wrote on my FB page about each:

Filano

Today practiced the art of weaving through traffic from Udom Suk to Fortune Town mall, then back on Rama IV road. By the end of the day I was starting to get the hang of it. N95 particle mask compulsory of course. Yesterday when walking to rental shop I came upon the (sobering) scene just after a minor motorbike accident. Besides a few scrapes to his bike, looks like just hurt his foot a bit. Then today I think I went past another but didn't want to take my eyes off the road to look carefully. Strange, since I've seen almost no accidents in my 14 years in Bangkok. But they obviously happen and you can never let your guard down.

NMAX

Traded in the Filano 125 for a Yamaha NMAX 155. As soon as I sat on it, it felt like a Brahma bull. I could feel the engine pulsating and I was not thrilled to find they'd swapped the stock muffler for one with more growl. So now I was riding a throbbing, macho machine, which I hadn't really expected--or wanted. Since I had to use it to get to an appointment at the US embassy in town in an hour and a half, I had to ignore my reservations. As this was my sixth motorbike in about two weeks, I adapted pretty quickly.
I asked why it didn't say "NMAX" on the rear fairings, and the owner replied that they had been changed. (Had the original ones been ruined in an accident?) Despite having a similar motor to the Aerox I tried in Hua Hin, this bike was not as smooth and effortless going down the road. And while it had plenty of power, it didn't seem as responsive. Maybe the engine is getting tired? 
I went into a coffee shop near the embassy for a sandwich and, very unseasonably, some raindrops were coming out of the sky. I walked into an office complex just before the sky opened up and was able to buy a cheap umbrella for the walk across the street to the embassy.
After my appointment I had to wait a while for the rain to stop, then get my first experience riding on a freshly wet road when there'd been no rain for months. As you know, water mixed with road oil can be treacherous even in a car. So I was apprehensive about the ride back to the burbs on the NMAX. But by the time I got home the roads were mostly dry.
Again, I imagine riding a new NMAX would probably have been a better experience. Many of the Thai Police use them and they're highly spoken of, so they must be good. I'd have to say of the two, I preferred the Aerox (but the one I rode in HH was tricked out with gas rear shocks).
BTW, I got an "affidavit of residence" at the embassy, which is required to buy a motorbike. But you also need one to get an international driving license, which some countries require. I think I've concluded that, if I ever decide to buy a motorbike in Thailand it will be a relatively small scooter, like the Honda Wave or Yamaha Filano. But as there's no rush and I'm hoping to head off to the US or Europe fairly soon, I think I'll use the affidavit to get an international license at this time. After I get back to Thailand I can get another if I want to buy a bike.

Scoopy Redux

Actually, tonight I was looking again at pics of the bikes online. Personally, I don't much care for the angular fairings on most of the modern bikes and prefer the classic style of the Vespa. The Filano and Scoopy are both obviously inspired by the Vespa; especially the Scoopy. The main thing I don't like about the Scoopy is the name, but of course it has nothing to do with how it functions or the styling otherwise. I can see why two of my friends like them: simple, classic, functional....

1 front of building.jpg

2.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 7:27 AM, Agusts said:

Stick to a 150cc auto scooter,  you won't regret it ....

FWIW

the step on the front is useful for an overnight bag if you don't want to get into fitting panniers. I've covered 34 provinces on my 125i, sometimes doing 400km in a day. many repeat journeys of that distance. a**e gets a bit sore though. went the bike gives up I will replace it with click 150. never felt as safe on the wave or it's Suzuki equiv.

if you can afford the time and cost of running two bikes, would still go for the click as a runaround Does seem a bit juicy going up the hills though, small tank no problem, nice to get off to stretch the legs here and there when filling up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jastheace said:

FWIW

the step on the front is useful for an overnight bag if you don't want to get into fitting panniers. I've covered 34 provinces on my 125i, sometimes doing 400km in a day. many repeat journeys of that distance. a**e gets a bit sore though. went the bike gives up I will replace it with click 150. never felt as safe on the wave or it's Suzuki equiv.

if you can afford the time and cost of running two bikes, would still go for the click as a runaround Does seem a bit juicy going up the hills though, small tank no problem, nice to get off to stretch the legs here and there when filling up.

Why do you use such a small bike on those trips?

Because you can't afford a big(ger) bike?

Or maybe you can't handle a bigger bike?

I know it's not impossible to do that. But there is a reason why lots of different types of bikes exist.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why do you use such a small bike on those trips?

Because you can't afford a big(ger) bike?

Or maybe you can't handle a bigger bike?

I know it's not impossible to do that. But there is a reason why lots of different types of bikes exist.

initially I got it to navigate around pattaya and explore the darkside and beyond. a few trips to ban chang. then gave it a go to chantaburi. then thought i'd go to isaan, then more. 

did the job nicely. backpack on the back, holdall on the step, some happy days on the road !

didn't want a collection of bikes for different moods or purposes. and at over 150 miles per UK gallon, kerching, cheaper than the bus !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jastheace said:

initially I got it to navigate around pattaya and explore the darkside and beyond. a few trips to ban chang. then gave it a go to chantaburi. then thought i'd go to isaan, then more. 

did the job nicely. backpack on the back, holdall on the step, some happy days on the road !

didn't want a collection of bikes for different moods or purposes. and at over 150 miles per UK gallon, kerching, cheaper than the bus !

Thanks for the reply.

Did you ever try a bigger bike for any of those trips? Because I imagine if you would do that then you wouldn't want to use the small one anymore.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for the reply.

Did you ever try a bigger bike for any of those trips? Because I imagine if you would do that then you wouldn't want to use the small one anymore.

I no longer do those sort of trips. I started those trip on a 110 click, and sold it at 70,000km. my 125i is now approaching that, although 3 years old I will replace it with soon with a 150i. my days of exploring Thailand on 2 wheels are at an end! the next bike will see me out.

never had the urge to have anything bigger, so I will never know. never been a fan of motorcycles either, so that may be the reason i didn't feel the need ...

5 minutes ago, jastheace said:

I no longer do those sort of trips. I started those trip on a 110 click, and sold it at 70,000km. my 125i is now approaching that, although 3 years old I will replace it with soon with a 150i. my days of exploring Thailand on 2 wheels are at an end! the next bike will see me out.

never had the urge to have anything bigger, so I will never know. never been a fan of motorcycles either, so that may be the reason i didn't feel the need ...

I've had big bikes and they are over rated, the Click is a great bike, so versatile, no trouble. I like it more than my previous bigger bikes incl BMW F800GS

31 minutes ago, alx123 said:

This turned into people justifying their choice of bike thread. "This is what I'm currently using so it must be the best. "????

Wise for OP to test diff bikes; Let us know of your final decision.

OP was asking for opinions based on peoples experience. I believe some of us have done that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alx123 said:

OP finally bought the Filano after testing several scooters ????

I hope be bought the ABS version 

You're the second person who thinks I bought a Filano. What I wrote was...

"...To cut to the chase, the bike that ticks almost all the boxes for me is the Filano. ...I used the affidavit of residence I got at the embassy to obtain an international driving permit.... I just made another appointment at the embassy...to get another affidavit. Then, if I want, I’ll be able to buy a bike. I asked Fatboys rentals if they would sell the Filano I rented from them. They said they would, and their price was fairly reasonable. Still, I’ll check out other options, and may not buy until I’ve gone to the US and back...."

So, while I have concluded that, for me, the Filano is the bike I *would* buy, I'll probably wait until I'm back from a trip to the US soon. (Unless virus developments make me postpone it.) I liked the one I rented from Fatboys, and since I'd heard many rental shops will sell their bikes, I inquired. But there are also bound to be good deals on Facebook Marketplace; or I may decide to plop for a brand new one. In that case, yes, I'd get the new hybrid with ABS. If I get a used one, it might not be ABS. We'll see.

Every one of the 7 bikes I've tried in the last few weeks would do the job. But for me, for the reasons stated in my blog, the Filano hits the sweet spot. But it's absolutely subjective and I'm sure many would choose a different bike. They're all good. ????

Thanks again to everyone for their input and, as the truckers in the US say, "Keep the rubber side down."

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, alx123 said:

OP finally bought the Filano after testing several scooters ????

I hope be bought the ABS version 

Is ABS really so important on such a small bike?

In general I agree that ABS is a good idea. But it should be good quality ABS and I think it's a lot less important on a small bike compared to a big bike.

I have ABS on my 390cc and seldom I feel it engaging on the rear brake for a second. And I felt it exactly one time on the front brake when I braked (for fun) hard on the front brake with maybe 5km/h.

On my 150cc I have no ABS but I never braked so hard that the front was blocked. It might happen that the rear was blocked for a second or so. But that happens normally only when braking really hard with the front brake so that the bike has no weight on the rear wheel. And then it's anyhow time to release the front brake a little.

So at least for me I think ABS for a small bike is not really necessary - but I am interested to listen to other rider's perspectives.