Coronavirus = no more china tours in Pattaya next week?

kingofthemountain

10 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I actually think a lot of the Chinese have been the victim of false advertising.  Pattaya is nothing like what they see in the glossy brochure, particularly the beach.

I understand their excitement.  For many it's their first time in a plane, and their first overseas experience, but many must return home disappointed. 

They don't stay in pattaya for more than a couple of days. The zero baht tours are a tour of Thailand which takes a week. The Chinese tourists in Pattaya are the same tourists you see in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Again the TAT figures are a nonsense. It's all about the number of tourist days in Thailand not TAT's numbers through the airport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

The Chinese tour groups remind me of us Brits back in the 60s and 70s on all inclusive tours to Spain ,very little money spent outside in the shops

We spent our money in the bars and anywhere we could get something edible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

I interpreted this as the Chinese are suspending sales of package tours abroad from tomorrow. I assumed that tours already booked will still be takin gplace but things do get lost in translation, especially with the limited flow of information from China (which actually seems better this time around).

Let's see.

The things should be very serious in this case

If you see China quarantining any of these cities, know that the <deleted> is hitting the fan:
> Shanghai
> Shenzhen
> Ningbo-Zhoushan

These are their three largest container ports. They are necessary for world commerce, and closing any of these three would result in a rapid collapse of their economy.

If they quarantine any of these cities, the situation is out of hand.

• Like 2

How does this impact Free Independant Travellers (FIT)? They make up the majority of Chinese tourists to Thailand. They use schedule flights, not chartered, and book their own accommodation online. They also spend far more money than those in a tour group.

• Like 1

I think some need to have a wander up Soi 3 for example and the Atlantic Bar on any given night around 10pm where you'll find Chinese visitors on the beer and enjoying themselves.

This continued dialogue of they dont spend money combined with zero sum tours is beyond comedy gold

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

They are not deep seated prejudices. 

The tour packages are bought and paid for in China.  Most fly with Chinese airlines.  The buses, hotels, restaurants, are owned or leased by Thai companies, with Chinese owners / nominees.  We have read about raids on such companies here in the past.  

What's not owned by the Chinese, they beat the operators down to their rock bottom price, giving them very small margins.

There really is very little money entering the Pattaya economy from the Chinese package holiday groups, and in many cases, profits from them are repatriated back to China.

Hence, the term, "zero baht tourists."

However, they do create employment, but it really only is for your 300 baht a day Thai.  Eg. cleaners, waitresses, cooks. 

These lower paid staff, spending some of their their salary in Pattaya, isn't really a huge injection of revenue into the Pattaya economy, and in many cases, some of that salary leaves the Pattaya economy for Issan.  

TAT thought that the big numbers would make up for their lower spend, but it hasn't.  Just about everything they can buy here is cheaper to buy back in China, so why would they buy here, including sex?

You may remember the Chinese even built a fake Buddhist temple to take the tourists groups to.  

It's now at a point where if they truly enforced the use of Thai company nominees for Chinese ownership, the Chinese tour groups would go elsewhere.  Eg.  Vietnam.  

Around 60% of Chinese tourists are now FIT. Free Independent Travellers. They don't come in tour parties. They book their own flights and accommodation. The term Zero Baht dates from 2008.

The Chinese have been going to Vietnam for a long, long time. They share a 786 mile border. I can take a bus from my home city and be in Hanoi in 6 hours. There, is where the low spenders go. There's minimal travel cost. 125 RMB door to door, or 660 baht if you like.

Every other country in Asia, and a few others have the Chinese as their No1 tourist target.

That's not because they dont spend money. They do. Lots of it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

According to the last news, it seems China has decided to stop all the tourists tours

from next monday to try to control the spread of the coronavirus.

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

How have you been?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Bet this makes the Baht stronger instead of weaker as a billion Brazilians will undoubtedly be the next TAT target replacement on their way and loaded????

At least the the women are far superior looking

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

What will poor old TAT do now to meet their tourist arrival targets? They'll either have to find a few million extra Indians to replace the Chinese or else invent a sudden influx of tourists from some other country. Free visas for North Koreans, anybody, lol?

At least they have now an excellent excuse to not reach the goal

the brexit and USA\China trade war have already been used to death 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

I think some need to have a wander up Soi 3 for example and the Atlantic Bar on any given night around 10pm where you'll find Chinese visitors on the beer and enjoying themselves.

This continued dialogue of they dont spend money combined with zero sum tours is beyond comedy gold

Well 5 years after the start of the chineses invasion

you can find them up soi 3 in a bar? Amazing and it's very promising.

I just wonder how many years will be necessary untill they start to irriguate

the bars in soi 13? 

Edited by kingofthemountain

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

How have you been?

aha thank you my friend

happy new year to you too

i am fine thx, at least untill today

i wish you are fine too, even with your aircon on during all the last night

the new girlfriend needs to be educated on this, it's an important point  hihihi

let's see what tomorrow bring to us 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Bet this makes the Baht stronger instead of weaker as a billion Brazilians will undoubtedly be the next TAT target replacement on their way and loaded????

Brazilians have already a lot of hot girls (And ladyboys) at home

why would they want to go around the half of the world for

the same thing but more expensive? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I do look at them and see them being carted to prepaid activities or free activities like clogging Walking Street up without spending 1 sentang.

You might live in Pattaya but you have no idea at all I have been to the Hilton

hotel 3 times in the past few months (because my lady friend"s daughter and

son in law work there) I noticed heaps of young Chinese having meals there.

And the prices are not like 7/11, a cheap meal will set you back at least 300 baht

plus drinks, and yes every body had their own drink soft or alcoholic.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, White Christmas13 said:

Well a pizza is about 360 baht

Not bad depending on type and size. Regardless, kinda drifting OT, bottom line - the stereotype re Chinese not spending is  <deleted>. As you rightly pointed out.

14 hours ago, Conno said:

I'm not one to normally be phased over these types of things and as it stands right now with luck it will fizzle out.....however it appears the real extent of the contagion is being suppressed in China [shouldn't surprise anyone] Some of the video's that are leaking out past the censorship on social media are a bit disturbing. If these clips and images can be believed people are literally just falling over in the street, authorities blocking roads with piled up dirt and officials forcing people into ambulances when they'd prefer not to.

In that particular clip you can hear what is either Chinese celebration fireworks going off in the background or that is gunfire? After saying that I can't imagine many are in the mood for celebrating NY in that region at the moment. Watching this closely.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/wuhan?src=hashtag_click

whats up with the vids. just saw one with doctor collapsing in hospital and dead bodies in hallway.

faked, or??

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Where do you see them spending their money?  I do not see them in shopping malls spending, restaurants, or bars.

I see them all over Terminal 21 and expensive Chinese restuarants. I see them in VAT refund queue in airports.