SURVEY: Lopburi killer -- Death penalty or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Lopburi killer -- Death penalty or not?  

214 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Slightly different story here, seeing as how the 2 Burmese guys are the fall guys for the koh tao mafia. 

Well i don't disagree on them being the fall guys, but who is to say with 100% certainty that this guy is not, or others in prison are not. I am just playing devils advocate with those who say this guy should be given the death sentence. Assuming he is found guilty in a court he may be sentenced to death the same as the Burmese guys.  Like it or not in Thailand the court, not public opinion is the final arbitrator on guilt or not and they find both cases guilty.

So essentially people who advocate this guy should be executed should also support other executions of abhorrent crime. I dont see how someone could advocate it in this case, but in another case say actually no, they don't trust the courts in that case.

How can you have a justice system like that. You either trust the system that they get it right the vast majority of the time, or you don't in which case i presume its very difficult to advocate the death penalty.

4 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Agreed.

Death penalty is barbaric, although in cases like this one, it would be probably better for the murderer himself.

And a life sentence in a Thai prison is not barbaric? 

Have you ever visited a Thai prison or know anyone who has been been in a high security one? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Artisi said:

And a life sentence in a Thai prison is not barbaric? 

Have you ever visited a Thai prison or know anyone who has been been in a high security one? 

And your point is ?

I don't see how anyone can feel any sympathy for that guy.

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Well i don't disagree on them being the fall guys, but who is to say with 100% certainty that this guy is not, or others in prison are not. I am just playing devils advocate with those who say this guy should be given the death sentence. Assuming he is found guilty in a court he may be sentenced to death the same as the Burmese guys.  Like it or not in Thailand the court, not public opinion is the final arbitrator on guilt or not and they find both cases guilty.

So essentially people who advocate this guy should be executed should also support other executions of abhorrent crime. I dont see how someone could advocate it in this case, but in another case say actually no, they don't trust the courts in that case.

How can you have a justice system like that. You either trust the system that they get it right the vast majority of the time, or you don't in which case i presume its very difficult to advocate the death penalty.

I take your point about being found guilty is found guilty and the rule of law should prevail, no argument there, however in the koh tao case as in others there is sometimes doubt which does reflect in the final outcome and can and does influence the nod to carry out the death penalty. 

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

I take your point about being found guilty is found guilty and the rule of law should prevail, no argument there, however in the koh tao case as in others there is sometimes doubt which does reflect in the final outcome and can and does influence the nod to carry out the death penalty. 

I agree on the doubt but in open and practical real life terms, guilty is guilty in the eyes of the law. Having varying degrees of possibly being guilty does not really work. You are either guilty or not. If you asked the judges in the murder case i am sure they would say they are 100% sure of guilt. In every case there will be people questing the guilt, some will have vested interests on both sides. In reality its just impossible to have a system where some are more guilty than others. In Thailand some who are stone cold guilty never end up in court, others who are questionable like Koh Toa get the death sentence. Here particularly the death sentence should not be carried out as its not a free, independent judiciary, or a highly professional police, DNA, investigation processes.

Having said that offer me death or 40 years in Thai prison i would probably take the bullet.

57 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

And your point is ?

I don't see how anyone can feel any sympathy for that guy.

Just comparing you comment that the death penalty is barbaric - no more than a life behind bars in Thailand. Did anyone mention sympathy, so what is you point. 

Edited by Artisi

15 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Just comparing you comment that the death penalty is barbaric - no more than a life behind bars in Thailand. Did anyone mention sympathy, so what is you point. 

Still i don't understand your point, but i guess you are in favour of death penalty.

9 hours ago, ardsong said:

I think, TV and the reporter of this topic, should refrain from such a question in public, as if to prevent people thinking, we have nor should have any say in the punishment of the suspect.

Let the justice system take care that is far better, than populist questions that could provoke revenge in some people

The people in a free country should always have the right to have their opinion heard and be able to voice their opinions to their  representatives.

9 hours ago, ardsong said:

I think, TV and the reporter of this topic, should refrain from such a question in public, as if to prevent people thinking, we have nor should have any say in the punishment of the suspect.

Let the justice system take care that is far better, than populist questions that could provoke revenge in some people

You have no idea of the Justice system in this country do you?

6 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

TVF members. Christ the guy hasn't been tried yet.

lynch%2Bmob.jpg

That looks like a still from the original Frankenstein or Bride of Frankenstein. See Colin Clive in the foreground in the jodphurs?

Taking into account the differences in style from 70 years ago to know, one of the greatest actors of all time.