Marriage process in Thailand

MarkW123

Hi everyone

As the title suggests, I’m planning on getting married in Thailand. I have a lovely new son and it would be fantastic if my fiance and him could come and live in my home country in the United Kingdom.

I’m asking for some insight from some wise heads on here as to the process involved in arranging the marriage as this will facilitate the Visa process. 

I’ve got as far as understanding that I need to go to the British Embassy beforehand in order to get an affirmation and certify some copy documents. Paragraph I’ve made the appointment. What I need to understand is what happens after that. I’ve heard that I will need to go to the Ministry of foreign affairs in order to get those documents translated? Can anyone confirm? Do I have to go to that place or can I go to another professional translator?

How long does it take to make an appointment at the local Civic offices in order to register the marriage? What documents will I need to take?

Any advice gratefully received ????????

The MFA legalizes the Affirmation of freedom to marry, after the British Embassy has stamped it (them). That allows you to go to the local office to do the marriage.

I think you would have to get a recognized translator to do the translation.(s)

We handed the Docs into the British Embassy towards the end of the week, went to Chiang Mai for the weekend, came back on the Monday, took  the docs to MFA, as soon as they finished, jumped in a fast Taxi and got married just before closing time!

16 years ago so things may have changed ????

The Banglamung amphur said it was okay to use a local translation service and provided a phone number. They also said the affirmation was valid for 6 months as opposed to the British embassy who said 3 months. Might be best to check with your local amphur as, apparently, they can differ on their requirements.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:45 PM, MarkW123 said:

What I need to understand is what happens after that. I’ve heard that I will need to go to the Ministry of foreign affairs in order to get those documents translated? Can anyone confirm? Do I have to go to that place or can I go to another professional translator?

How long does it take to make an appointment at the local Civic offices in order to register the marriage? What documents will I need to take?

Yes, you do go to the MFA and I strongly advise you to get the translations done there. If there is an error in translation, then it can be sorted immediately with no extra charges. Get it done around the Embassy and there is an error then you either go back to them for correcting, time consuming, or pay at MFA. As I have mentioned to you before, go up the stairs at the entrance to MFA and the agents are in front of you. Speak English and will do everything for you.

As for the marriage itself, the documents required can vary from Amphur to Amphur. To make life easier for you all, I would go to the Amphur of your fiancée and chat with them. (They may know all the family and can tell you want they would need document wise).  This could save the process of the Amphur sending back your documents for verification at MFA. A procedure that can take up to 4 weeks!! My local Amphur, when I married in Dec 2018, just required the Affirmation of Marriage, stamped colour passport paper from Embassy and that was it. Everyone knew everyone there!

Good luck.

9 hours ago, worrab said:

Yes, you do go to the MFA and I strongly advise you to get the translations done there. If there is an error in translation, then it can be sorted immediately with no extra charges. Get it done around the Embassy and there is an error then you either go back to them for correcting, time consuming, or pay at MFA. As I have mentioned to you before, go up the stairs at the entrance to MFA and the agents are in front of you. Speak English and will do everything for you.

As for the marriage itself, the documents required can vary from Amphur to Amphur. To make life easier for you all, I would go to the Amphur of your fiancée and chat with them. (They may know all the family and can tell you want they would need document wise).  This could save the process of the Amphur sending back your documents for verification at MFA. A procedure that can take up to 4 weeks!! My local Amphur, when I married in Dec 2018, just required the Affirmation of Marriage, stamped colour passport paper from Embassy and that was it. Everyone knew everyone there!

Good luck.

This is incorrect......any of the translation shops will correct any errors and re-submit the document to the MFA at no extra charge. They do not post it to your address until the document is stamped and finalised.

On 1/26/2020 at 5:32 AM, UKresonant said:

The MFA legalizes the Affirmation of freedom to marry, after the British Embassy has stamped it (them). That allows you to go to the local office to do the marriage.

I think you would have to get a recognized translator to do the translation.(s)

We handed the Docs into the British Embassy towards the end of the week, went to Chiang Mai for the weekend, came back on the Monday, took  the docs to MFA, as soon as they finished, jumped in a fast Taxi and got married just before closing time!

16 years ago so things may have changed ????

Can I ask what does one need to get the Affirmation of freedom to marry? especially if one was married and divorced twice.

pennine

13 hours ago, happylarry said:

This is incorrect......any of the translation shops will correct any errors and re-submit the document to the MFA at no extra charge. They do not post it to your address until the document is stamped and finalised.

If you use the agents I have described on the second floor, you are right. But if you use a translation shop near the Embassy then firstly they do not submit and secondly you would then have to pay a translation shop at the MFA to make the correction.

And again correct, they post back after stamping via EMS. A worthwhile service.

11 hours ago, pennine said:

Can I ask what does one need to get the Affirmation of freedom to marry? especially if one was married and divorced twice.

pennine

You will need an original decree absolute from your last divorce. (There is no interest in the first divorce). If you do not have an original then you will need a copy which will have to be notarized by a solicitor or equivalent official in the UK. 

Then you need the actual Affirmation of Marriage which can be downloaded/ filled in from https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/854327/DIVORCED_Application_pack_-_getting_married_in_Thailand.pdf

But DO NOT SIGN until at the British Embassy. You will need to book an appointment and all info can be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

I found a really useful website thailand diy marriage in 24 hours or something similar. I am Australian and they do not issue divorce certificates . They give you a link and you download it from your government account. The Australian embassy just stamped it and I did not need an Australian notary. I took my documents to Klong Toey mrt station and there is a government office there. I returned the next day and picked them up. It was easier than going to Chaeng Wattana. There were translators there but very expensive so I went to the ones in Wireless Rd near the Aus embassy.I went to Banglamung Ampur and they said it would take 4 weeks because they had to send them back to BKK and they wanted to question me about finances.Tried to pay extra and couldn't. Was advised to go somewhere remote and that worked

There is info on the website where to go and pay for quick service. My wife was widowed and she still used her ex husband's name. They would not accept this and she needed to change her if back to her maiden name 

6 hours ago, worrab said:

If you use the agents I have described on the second floor, you are right. But if you use a translation shop near the Embassy then firstly they do not submit and secondly you would then have to pay a translation shop at the MFA to make the correction.

And again correct, they post back after stamping via EMS. A worthwhile service.

Once again.....most if not all the translation shops offer this service for which they charge extra for. The translation shops within the MFA building are not affiliated to the MFA in any way and are ordinary businesses that happen to rent their space there.

The shops around the Embassies do submit to the MFA for the extra charge and if you ever go to the building then take note of the agents submitting handfuls of documents to be stamped. Its their business to complete the documents and post them back to the customer.

Just out of interest, you say “that you would then have to pay the shops within the MFA building to do the correction” but if as you say the outside shops do not submit then how did the documents get checked, in order to need correcting.....lol

Anyway worrab keep making that horrible journey to Chang Wattana if you prefer but its unfair to recommend others to trek up there if there is no need. Have a good day mate.

7 minutes ago, happylarry said:

Once again.....most if not all the translation shops offer this service for which they charge extra for. The translation shops within the MFA building are not affiliated to the MFA in any way and are ordinary businesses that happen to rent their space there.

The shops around the Embassies do submit to the MFA for the extra charge and if you ever go to the building then take note of the agents submitting handfuls of documents to be stamped. Its their business to complete the documents and post them back to the customer.

Just out of interest, you say “that you would then have to pay the shops within the MFA building to do the correction” but if as you say the outside shops do not submit then how did the documents get checked, in order to need correcting.....lol

Anyway worrab keep making that horrible journey to Chang Wattana if you prefer but its unfair to recommend others to trek up there if there is no need. Have a good day mate.

Well thank you for correcting me. This is the first I have heard of the shops around the Embassy carrying out this service. If I had known then I would have done the same in Nov 2018. Also a well known website has never had this written into the pages to assist the marriage process in Thailand. As far as we were all aware then you had to go to MFA and the shops you are on about just did translating. So a little less of the sarcasm please!!

I have a question. 

Do you need affirmation to marry from your embassy if you have already divorced in Thailand? I have obtained one for the previous marriage to a Thai. Do I need to do it with a Thai divorce paper? 

5 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I have a question. 

Do you need affirmation to marry from your embassy if you have already divorced in Thailand? I have obtained one for the previous marriage to a Thai. Do I need to do it with a Thai divorce paper? 

Yes. This document shows that there is no impediment to your remarrying. Which is your Embassy?

Just get the Buddha village wedding.  Over half of Thais marry without ever registering their marriage.  Why should you?  Just get yourself a retirement visa or find some other way to stay in the country aside from this.

Please read as many Thai marriage horror stories as you possibly can before you make this commitment.

Remember that if the registered marriage falls apart, if you like to live in Thailand, you may not want to, or even be able to live in the country safely.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:21 AM, worrab said:
On 1/29/2020 at 10:10 AM, happylarry said:

I have made further enquiries regarding this matter. Technically you are supposed to attend in person when presenting the documents to MFA. And so my advice was correct in case anything went wrong and also avoids the surcharge for this service.  

• 2 weeks later...

If one uses an agent one does not need to be present however one must sign a temporary power of attorney so they can act in your stead. What I am uncertain is do the witnesses that need to be present when registering at a Amphoe office have to reside in that Amphoe that one registers?

I have never used an agent for anything before, but I did for this last August.

It all went very smoothly.

Booked a Monday morning appointment for the UK Embassy to get the affirmation and passport notarized (Note I needed the original divorce paper from the UK for this).

Met the agent outside the embassy, gave her the notarized papers and 50% of her fee.

Spent 2 fun days in Bangkok while the agent did her stuff at the MFA etc.

Got the promised message with a date, time and map of the chosen Bangkok Amphur 3 days later.

Met the agent at the appropriate amphur, got married, paid and thanked the agent, and continued our holiday in Bangkok.

I did it this way as Bangkok is far from me and having to go to the embassy anyway, just decided to stay there till everything was done and dusted.

When I was about to sign the final paper, the registrar asked me if Iwas sure I wanted to get married. She said I will give you 5 minutes to change your mind ????