Coronavirus in Thailand: How to protect yourself

rooster59

22 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

See the true full list of viral epidemics here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_epidemics

Interesting so the global winner of this deadly 'race' currently stands with Spanish Flu 1918-1920 with around a 100 million dead. Apparently the world population then was 2bn so about 5% of the world died. If everything was the same with 7bn now that would be 350 million dead !

In developed countries we have much better healthcare , sanitation and tools to combat such a virus then we had then. Under 5 and over 65 seem to be the highest risk profiles.

A 33 year old male recoveree said it felt like the worse flu you've ever had x2.  That sounds pretty bad. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

330px-W_curve.png

Edited by URMySunshine

We are currently at Phase 4 of the WHO Pandemic Phase descriptions. Phase 4 indicates a significant increase in risk of a pandemic but does not necessarily mean that a pandemic is a forgone conclusion. The WHO has said they will announce a significant update on Thursday. That is where we are at at the moment in Lab Thailand. 

Phase 5 is characterized by human-to-human spread of the virus into at least two countries in one WHO region. While most countries will not be affected at this stage, the declaration of Phase 5 is a strong signal that a pandemic is imminent and that the time to finalize the organization, communication, and implementation of the planned mitigation measures is short.

https://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/phase/en/

Image result for pandemic flu phase descriptions

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

And, avoid the Chinese and places where the Chinese congregate, for now.

I like the Chinese, but why take a chance?

I heard and then saw a Chinese group in Foodland yesterday. I couldn't help that my natural reaction was to try and get away from them. I felt incredibly guilty about it, but we don't really know what we are dealing with yet.

4 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

What has been done and continues to be done is useless

I get what your saying, but I think everyone around the world is waiting for the WHO to lift the level as per policy and procedures, i.e. they have 105 countries that have signed up to follow that.

It's better than nothing, I am as paranoid as everyone else, even without the current virus, here in Thailand for me, it's wash hands, cover face with mask when outside when the PM2.5 is bad, most days/nights, and don't eat out, unless you know where you have eaten before or the wife deems it safe enough, toss of a coin really if you haven't eaten a place before, but mostly fine, I mean how many times have you gone to a public toilet in a shopping centre and seen a Thai male not wash his hands after going to the toilet, number 1 & 2's, worse when he is wearing an apron, meaning he is more than likely serving food in the shopping Centre's food court or restaurant, no thanks.

Thai's in general, in my opinion, more so the males, are dirty, just look at public government buildings and schools, big water bottle and one cup for all to share, hygiene has to be taught at the bottom and reiterated as the kids continue through their schooling into adulthood.

Just saying, as for the virus, well, we are far enough away and isolated from the human species if it breaks out any further, suffice to say will be stocking up on most things this week, just in case ????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chazar said:

not  for 96%

True, though the 3-4% is just more fear being instilled! 150,000 people die everyday, so far 56 in total have died from this virus, the vulnerable are always going to be susceptible, were they in poor health anyway? we have immune systems, why should they fail us now?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

The next few days will tell....I believe it's much more virulent than what is being reported & China has locked down any accurate information.....

Let us know, be no point carrying on with the "dry January" if its true! :shock1:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I'm confused. TAT wants me in Thailand; immigration wants me out, health department doesn't want me to go anywhere. What's a guy to do?

Don't get old is worth trying; so far most of the dead are old folks over 60.

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I'm confused. TAT wants me in Thailand; immigration wants me out, health department doesn't want me to go anywhere. What's a guy to do?

No worries, our comptentend and very knowledgeable Prime Minister will ban the virus in two days.

Perhaps even faster, one of his fortune tellers told me. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

You should avoid contact with anyone who has recently visited Wuhan

As I understand it, Wuhan was/is the major transit hub to Thailand from China, yes???  If so, that means avoid contact with just about any Chinese in the country.  Yes???

1 minute ago, zydeco said:

As I understand it, Wuhan was/is the major transit hub to Thailand from China, yes???

Why would it be? makes no sense - its just another Chinese industrial province!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

Not a lot.....

In addition to limited screening they continue to have Chinese New Year celebrations where the Chinese can all gather in large groups.

I would like to say Thailand deserves what it is about to get but it will only be the regular folk who get hit while the elite stay far away from peasant travelers from China.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

This video is indeed heartbreaking and shows the government's incompetence

"Incompetence"? what else can they do, would any other country in the world have the ability to do so much so quickly?

• Like 2

These clips are an example of what mass fear and hysteria are doing to people.  The chinese government and all Governments need to calm people down and tell them the truth.  

There is no cure for the Flu and this disease is similar. the best precaution is to avoid crowds; do not travel in confined spaces (planes, trains) if you are ill;  and go to the doctor or hospital only if one has the symptoms of  pneumonia.  

Most Asians go to the doctor for every minor cold or ache.  Panic and hysteria is what is  running amok.

If 100,000 People were sick or dead- all flights to China and from China would be blocked. The country of China would be on quarantine.

I, for one, will go about my daily business but avoid  tourist groups- which I already do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have just checked my travel insurance and I am not covered for 'natural disasters' which is apparently ;

Tornadoes and Severe Storms.
Hurricanes and Tropical Storms.
Floods.
Wildfires.
Earthquakes.
Drought.

So I am covered if needs be. Bumrungrad please with full face visors for the nurses so I can raise a smile if needs be. But in the meantime face mask , avoid crowds and careful washing of hands until we know what this thing really is. 

Nurses - Bumrungrad Hospital

Edited by URMySunshine

14 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Panic and hysteria is what is  running amok.

Indeed! driven by the media, but that's what the "media' has become, fear-mongers - backed by governments off course, scared people are subservient and don't notice what is really happening in the world like the fact that:-

"the world’s 26 richest individuals now own as much wealth as the poorest 3.8 Billion people on the planet? And the billionaires apparently increased their combined fortunes by $2.5 Billion per day during 2018 (over $ 900 Billion for the year), while the world’s poorest 3.8 billion people watched as their "wealth" declined (relatively) by $500 Million every day for 365 days."

You wouldn't want people on focusing on facts when you can stir up nonsense with a few $ in the right place!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1