Coronavirus in Thailand: How to protect yourself

rooster59

8 hours ago, alien365 said:

I heard and then saw a Chinese group in Foodland yesterday. I couldn't help that my natural reaction was to try and get away from them. I felt incredibly guilty about it, but we don't really know what we are dealing with yet.

That is my reaction too.

In normal circumstances.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

That is my reaction too.

In normal circumstances.

I remember for the week following the 7/7 bombing (I lived and worked in London then) looking at any asian person on the bus or tube with suspicion. And getting off and walking rather than take the risk. 

13 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

What with the smoke , strong baht and now this 2020 has got off to a pretty bad start. And strangely enough I don't have much confidence in the Thai government structures to hold up with any degree of resilience should this not just be a bad flu/SARS type scenario. Time to go home back to the UK methinks. 

go quick

46 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

World Health Organization already warned face masks would not work.

They are my comfort blanket. Still some hope it is hysteria and the evacuation of personnel by foreign powers in Wuhan is as much a result as a breakdown in the order and supplies of that city than an immediate and critical viral danger to life. That analysis still holds at the moment hopefully. 

Some more good news it may still be flu / SARS ++ bad but not terrible unless you are in a high risk group.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/live/2020/jan/26/coronavirus-outbreak-death-toll-rises-to-54-as-canada-confirms-first-case

Thailand, the country with the most confirmed cases outside China of the new coronavirus, said on Sunday that three of the people infected were being treated and five had recovered and gone home.

Still no reason to panic

There are, however, concerns that the unprecedented scale of this quarantine – only possible because of the authoritarianism of the Chinese government – could risk counterproductive levels of anxiety and panic. Outside China, the global response has also been reassuring in the main. There is no cure for this particular virus, but work is under way to develop a vaccine.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/26/observer-view-on-coronavirus-outbreak

Edited by URMySunshine

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

You should also practice good personal hygiene, making sure you wash your hands regularly, as well as using a hand sanitiser. 

Skip the hand sanitizer.  It just spreads germs around on your hands.

Wash your hands THOROUGHLY.

You need to sing Happy Birthday TWO TIMES while washing to do a thorough job.

It's the abrasion that removes germ biofilms, not the soap.

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

You need to sing Happy Birthday TWO TIMES.

I used to test the microbial environment of a pharma sterile production area and we would suit and scrub up before we entered and did our swabs. The scrubbing up with hibiscrub took 2 minutes - don't forget all parts of the hands and fingers and under the nails and forearms and keep rubbing it in and lathering. Contact time is also important the longer the contact the more the antimicrobial action. Think surgeon pre-theatre and remove all rings and jewellery.

Edited by URMySunshine

11 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I thought 30 seconds of good rubbing was the general recommendation...

8 minutes ago, metisdead said:

Posts containing YouTube videos have been removed as these are not credible sources of information.

I’m NOT contesting the decision to remove the post (it was a good call), but wanted to point out that we don’t actually have any credible sources as of yet. All we have is what China is telling the world.

Credible info will be forthcoming soon as other countries have it and will dig into the virus. It’s all speculation until actual facts come from a trustworthy source.

• Thanks 1

These geniuses are telling everyone to wash their hands but people pick their phone right back up when they are finished. Their phone would still have the virus if they had it on their hands.

It’s already been reported from multiple sources that it will live on items for a certain amount of time.

28 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

I used to test the microbial environment of a pharma sterile production area and we would suit and scrub up before we entered and did our swabs. The scrubbing up with hibiscrub took 2 minutes - don't forget all parts of the hands and fingers and under the nails and forearms and keep rubbing it in and lathering. Contact time is also important the longer the contact the more the antimicrobial action. Think surgeon pre-theatre and remove all rings and jewellery.

I've scrubbed in a couple of times. It's not something that can be done in domestic situation as routine. The best solution seems to be to barricade in for the duration. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I think all farangs should go to Ranong to establish a Chinese free colony. Our dear POTY should be able to get us good accommodation.

I thought about moving there until I saw the rainfall. Krabi to Satun seems ok. 

thailand-wet-regions.gif

Edited by Tayaout

9 hours ago, alien365 said:

I heard and then saw a Chinese group in Foodland yesterday. I couldn't help that my natural reaction was to try and get away from them. I felt incredibly guilty about it, but we don't really know what we are dealing with yet.

Viruses could care less about human feelings. Go with rational thought. Chinese are a risk group, avoidance is a strategy. Nothing wrong about it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dcnx said:

According the news yesterday, they have been doing limited screening only. So per usual, they dropped the ball and are still not doing much.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thai-airport-virus-scans-patient-confirm-case-12338150

Testing for the new virus needs lab tests, which costs and takes time. A mere fraction of carriers would have been tested, those that reported after having symptoms and those who were detected having a fever by the IR cams at swampy. Situation is basically unknown. Keep vigilant, keep safe, keep clean.

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Are you kidding? Or just spreading nonsense.

70% v/v ethyl alcohol will inactivate most germs and corona viruses.

As will Isoppropyl Alcohol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Are you kidding? Or just spreading nonsense.

70% v/v ethyl alcohol will inactivate most germs and corona viruses.

As will Isoppropyl Alcohol

If you check Wikipedia it says it works only on some virus but kill all bacteria or spore. Also this study show that hand washing might be more effective against influenza virus: http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2019/09/hand-sanitizer-shown-less-effective-hand-washing-against-flu

Finaly on the CDC website they say to prefer hand washing over alcool hand sanitizer: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Skip the idea of both and just buy a pack of cotton gloves. Wash them after you're done using them. 

Guardian has dropped it 'live' feed. 

Mail leading on the death of Kobe. 

Telegraph lead on Huawei and 5G

Life goes on hopefully initial panic over. Worth remembering that in a locked down city of 11 million a lot will die and get sick every day. Bodies twitching on stretchers could be somebody having an epileptic fit. Dropping bodies could be people fainting , having a heart attack , fainting from lack of sleep / panic attack. Stick the picture of hazmat medical staff and a panicked no doubt hysterical population then you have the perfect movie set for 'Contagion- The Movie' - this times it's real. 

Everybody has a camera phone and internet now and can film and share this stuff. I've stopped panicking both because I'm fed up and wiser souls have told me stop and have got informed. 

Meanwhile The Daily Express must have a contender for it's weakest story ever cobbled together from a couple of twitter accounts and an intern. 

Have a nice day. 

1 hour ago, ThaiBrian said:

Skip the idea of both and just buy a pack of cotton gloves. Wash them after you're done using them. 

Dress up in a disposable paper suit , face mask and plastic googles and walk around in crowded places to see what reaction you get. Film it and put it on your vlogger channel. On reflection maybe not such a good idea at the moment. 

10 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Testing for the new virus needs lab tests, which costs and takes time. A mere fraction of carriers would have been tested, those that reported after having symptoms and those who were detected having a fever by the IR cams at swampy. Situation is basically unknown. Keep vigilant, keep safe, keep clean.

Most Qualified Labs:   there are 2 Bio Labs a mere 20km away from where the Wuhan Outbreak began... where they were known testing some of the Most virulent of deadly viruses

- THEY have the only possible answers  (but most likely have been Torched by now)

Edited by tifino

2 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

Dress up in a disposable paper suit , face mask and plastic googles and walk around in crowded places to see what reaction you get. Film it and put it on your vlogger channel. On reflection maybe not such a good idea at the moment. 

Why? Simple pair of gloves drastically reduced your chance of getting any virus, especially if you get into the habit of using the back of you hand when you want to touch your face. I personally think pair of gloves is more effective than wearing an N95 mask and protective eye wear. I only wear an N95 mask for pollution, but may throw it on and sunglasses if I'm in a crowd... just in case people star sneezing (edit) or Coughing. 

Edited by ThaiBrian
coughing

48 minutes ago, ThaiBrian said:

Why? Simple pair of gloves drastically reduced your chance of getting any virus, especially if you get into the habit of using the back of you hand when you want to touch your face. I personally think pair of gloves is more effective than wearing an N95 mask and protective eye wear. I only wear an N95 mask for pollution, but may throw it on and sunglasses if I'm in a crowd... just in case people star sneezing (edit) or Coughing. 

Sorry that was a feeble attempt at humour. Not doing hand to mouth is important. 

Edited by URMySunshine