Govt steps up measures to tackle coronavirus situation

rooster59

By THE NATION

800_220f5adb5926bb4.jpg

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports will hold a meeting with tour and hotel operators on January 27 on guidelines to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus in Thailand, Deputy Government Spokesperson Traisulee Traisaranakul said.

The meeting will also examine how many Thais travel to Wuhan andd other cities in China per week as part of Thailand's efforts to curb the spread of the virus.

She added that minister Pipat Ratchakitprakarn has prepared a number of measures to deal with the situation.

She said that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered all parties to step up measures to deal with the situation.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381044

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-26

They really don't know how to spot an opportunity, they could buy a ton of overpriced stuff with tax payers money to "fight the virus" and get the usual kickback. This would be great for PR and their wallet.

Here are a few suggestions for starting:

- Face masks

- Alcohol hand gel

- Quarantine equipment

- Ambulances

- More screening equipment

• Like 1

Better off going on TV and educating the population properly... a WHO official or viral scientist outlining dos and donts and put it out on all channels... 

Be good if the king were to make an appeal for the Thai people to prepare and rise to the crisis with calm and support of each other and the nation...reassurance goes a long way. 

Cancel all trips to and from China, immediately start training the medical staff on protocols along with the police and army and prepare to shutdown all major meeting points such as Cinemas, exhibition centers, large markets etc... its going to ramp up imo so best get on with preparing asap.... 

Then i woke up ...........

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 2

The thermal cameras are at the entrance to immigration hall. Surely they could be manned and monitor ALL incoming passengers. Thermal cameras aren't expensive and AOT could afford to buy more and cover every area of airport with them like they do with CCTV cameras. Software to trigger alerts when it sees something bad should already exist.

2 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

The thermal cameras are at the entrance to immigration hall. Surely they could be manned and monitor ALL incoming passengers. Thermal cameras aren't expensive and AOT could afford to buy more and cover every area of airport with them like they do with CCTV cameras. Software to trigger alerts when it sees something bad should already exist.

Thermal can help in detection but unfortunately this virus can be carried without any symptoms, high temperature etc. 

• Like 1

This is the PERFECT time to get on public television and radio to teach the entire nation on proper hygiene, precautionary measures to limit risk of transmitting virus, etc... they have a reason to listen; FEAR. 3-4 days ago, nobody would have cared.

Edited by ThaiBrian
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

So they are going to have a meeting, than an other meeting  and on and on going to have meetings. What is that gonna do . Stop all traffic from and to China than they might stop the virus from spreading around .If not Thailand can be in deep <deleted>.

3 hours ago, englishoak said:

Better off going on TV and educating the population properly... a WHO official or viral scientist outlining dos and donts and put it out on all channels... 

Be good if the king were to make an appeal for the Thai people to prepare and rise to the crisis with calm and support of each other and the nation...reassurance goes a long way. 

Cancel all trips to and from China, immediately start training the medical staff on protocols along with the police and army and prepare to shutdown all major meeting points such as Cinemas, exhibition centers, large markets etc... its going to ramp up imo so best get on with preparing asap.... 

Then i woke up ...........

all good points but I think its a bit of a brain overload for them to deal with....right now all they are worried about is their tourist numbers and money...forget about protecting the population

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lingba said:

all good points but I think its a bit of a brain overload for them to deal with....right now all they are worried about is their tourist numbers and money...forget about protecting the population

It's sad when  lining your  coffers with $$$$ clouds your mind.  It seems so many government and business  leaders around the World feel now is the guild rush to set their families up for eternity. 

Thailand  has done this to themselves and taken the easy road of tourism at all costs.  They relegated a major part of the economy to service jobs. 

Easy $$$ more important  than corruption ,Education, sustainability.

I'm sure our elected jaunta thinks short term-- keep the trough full just a little  longer.

It would be political suicide to shut off immigration from China  but it could have made a big difference.   Let's hope in next 2 weeks those infected dont show as infecting locals. 

I cant imagine the burden on all health care workers and police and airport workers.  I could see 3-4 cases in CM, BKK, pattaya, or Phuket really hurting tourism from the west.    I more I'm reading a out china and how 1.6 billion people live the more I understand who they are as humans.