Thai airport says still limiting virus scans as 7th patient reported

rooster59

52 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I don't think I've ever seen such hysteria.  This virus is far less severe than SARS which had a 14% mortality rate.  This one so far has less than 3% and that is considered over stated as many cases have symptoms so mild that they've not reported sick. It's expected the real figure to be 2% or less.

We don't know the mortality rate yet. It takes time to die from pneumonia. Could be anything in and between 1 and about 50% (The rate among the diagnosed who have been cleared or died so far). The hospitals are full of people who will either survive or die. I think it'll take 3-4 weeks before the real figures leak out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jojothai said:

You need to check the history of what happened in SARS. It was almost under control until the doctor took it to hong kong and it spread to become such a problem.

They have reported already that a doctor treating the problem has died. I have not seen his age or state of health published yet.

This should be considered very seriously outside china, precisely because of the risk of what happened in SARS.

As agreed across the globe, although this is a coronavirus as was SARS, it is not comparable.  Many show very mild symptoms or none at all and recovering without medical assistance.  It can spread more rapidly than SARS and proves the research that less severe viruses have a greater infection rate than do the more serious ones, e.g. SARS and MERS.

The problem with SARS was mismanagement.  Carriers were taking it across borders without knowing it.  The doctor you refer to, being already unwell and had treated patients with the virus, is not likely to happen today.  Some lessons learned.

China was guilty to a massive cover-up with SARS and even though their figures this time may be suspect, the procedures put in place should hopefully contain the disease.

I tend to believe the professionals from Europe and around the world as opposed to the info coming out of China.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I tend to believe the professionals from Europe and around the world as opposed to the info coming out of China.  

Yet the vast majority of cases is in China. They would be the ones who know how severe it is, as they have a larger sample size. Time to send non-Chinese WHO experts to the grounds to report the real situation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

Accoding to the BBC and the newspaper that can't be quoted on here, China is suspending the sale of packege tours abroad from tomorrow. Now that will have the Thai tourism authorities worried plus many businesses of course.

Last night another station reported the same thing

I think we don't have to joke about this, it looks like very serious, the incubation period is between 2 and 14 days.

It is possible that you are in the beginning when you are infected, don't have fever yet.

You may already infect other people without your knowledge.

Because the second week of March I have to go to Hong Kong, I keep a scary eye on the situation.

14 minutes ago, HHTel said:

As agreed across the globe, although this is a coronavirus as was SARS, it is not comparable.  Many show very mild symptoms or none at all and recovering without medical assistance.  It can spread more rapidly than SARS and proves the research that less severe viruses have a greater infection rate than do the more serious ones, e.g. SARS and MERS.

The problem with SARS was mismanagement.  Carriers were taking it across borders without knowing it.  The doctor you refer to, being already unwell and had treated patients with the virus, is not likely to happen today.  Some lessons learned.

China was guilty to a massive cover-up with SARS and even though their figures this time may be suspect, the procedures put in place should hopefully contain the disease.

The Dr that died in China last week was one of the first to treat the sick

15 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Yet the vast majority of cases is in China. They would be the ones who know how severe it is, as they have a larger sample size. Time to send non-Chinese WHO experts to the grounds to report the real situation.

There are WHO reps in China. I'm sure they won't be sat on their a*ses.  Well I hope not!

There was a WHO delegation in Wuhan 20/21st January and had talks with the authorities.

https://www.who.int/china/news/detail/22-01-2020-field-visit-wuhan-china-jan-2020

Edited by HHTel
addition

20 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

UV is quite effective in killing bacteria and viruses, I think you're right. 

Which means the BKK mall vampires are going to be hard hit. Their immune system must be completely destroyed because of all the toxic whitening creams and lack of vitamin D.

So we can get back the beautiful brown skined girls

19 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Chiang Kai Shek's New Life Movement intended, among many other things, to promote basic hygiene and cleanliness among the general Chinese population. Wrong side won the civil war.

Yes, as evidenced by Taiwan's development. They also don't seem to eat bats there so had the KMT won, this epidemic would probably not be happening.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Our country can control the situation well

Really? Let’s hope so...

The latest figures reported on Sunday morning cover the previous 24 hours and mark an increase of 15 deaths and 688 cases for a total of 1,975 infections.

7 hours ago, sharecropper said:

Waiting for information from China? Probably the only country in the world I'd trust less than Thailand with official 'news' and self-serving official BS. Thailand's 'government' again proves it cannot act decisively in a crisis.

Nothing new here. Its put a lock on everything in this region not good for business and face......problems arise when the great International organizations as WHO smell smoke but no fire to see.

"Government agencies including the health, tourism and transport ministries are due to meet on Sunday to come up with protective measures to prevent the spread of the virus."

How about refusing entry to all Chinese? It would also be interesting to see if TAT's figures the following month still showed the usual increase in tourist arrivals!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HHTel said:

That is quite scary, especially regarding mutations which everyone was hoping against.  If she was giving confirmation that the virus has mutated, then it's a whole new ball game.

Doesn't make sense. First she says one person can spread it to 14 people but the mutated virus spreads to 10 people which lowers the risk. She also says the original virus can be cured.

All BS I think.

15 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

the previous 24 hours and mark an increase of 15 deaths and 688 cases for a total of 1,975 infections.

Keep it in context? if these were road statistics nobody would have any interest!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Government agencies including the health, tourism and transport ministries are due to meet on Sunday to come up with protective measures to prevent the spread of the virus."

How about refusing entry to all Chinese? It would also be interesting to see if TAT's figures the following month still showed the usual increase in tourist arrivals!

How about grounding all aircraft so nobody can travel anywhere in the world. Every country goes into lockdown of their borders. Plainly silly to consider that.

It seems the Chinese have isolated some cities maybe 30 million people. You want to stop the other 1.17 billion from travelling?

1 minute ago, CGW said:

Keep it in context? if these were road statistics nobody would have any interest!

Prior this, the road you were on had no injuries or fatalities. Suddenly within a few weeks, thousands of injured, with scores dead. There's your context.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

No surprise to find the Gates camp and the lefty media crying "Conspiracy theory". Time will tell. 

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, sharecropper said:

Waiting for information from China? Probably the only country in the world I'd trust less than Thailand with official 'news' and self-serving official BS. Thailand's 'government' again proves it cannot act decisively in a crisis.

from monday all group travel stopped out of china (announced by Chinese gov) 

This is a real blow to Thailand Still The army have it all under control folks

Edited by alzack
  • Sad 1