Thai airport says still limiting virus scans as 7th patient reported

rooster59

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

It doesn’t strike you as unusual that entire cities are being quarantined and roads dug up / blocked over something that isn’t worse than influenza?

Let’s say it mostly only kills the elderly. How many old people do we have in the world who could be at risk? How old are you? How about your parents? Aunts, uncles?

Well obama wanted death panels to decide who should get medical care and old folks were at the bottom of the list this was part of obamacare

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"We will perform a virus scan if the Chinese government announces to watch out for other cities apart from Wuhan and Guangzhou," the General Manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport, Suthirawat Suwannawat, told reporters.

China is Thailand's biggest source of tourists and had nearly 11 million visitors from there last year.

As concern grows in Thailand over the possibility of a bigger outbreak, some social media users have accused the government of caring more about the money from Chinese tourists arriving during the Lunar New Year holiday than public health.

"Our country can control the situation well. We’ve had patients who are being treated and are improving, many have also gone home," Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told reporters.

Brings a whole new meaning to the term.... "Medical Tourism."

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, sharecropper said:

Waiting for information from China? Probably the only country in the world I'd trust less than Thailand with official 'news' and self-serving official BS. Thailand's 'government' again proves it cannot act decisively in a crisis.

No guts to dis amuse the masters...

And every arrival stamp counts.

Everything is in pink color and under control!

7 hours ago, HHTel said:

As agreed across the globe, although this is a coronavirus as was SARS, it is not comparable.  Many show very mild symptoms or none at all and recovering without medical assistance.  It can spread more rapidly than SARS and proves the research that less severe viruses have a greater infection rate than do the more serious ones, e.g. SARS and MERS.

The problem with SARS was mismanagement.  Carriers were taking it across borders without knowing it.  The doctor you refer to, being already unwell and had treated patients with the virus, is not likely to happen today.  Some lessons learned.

China was guilty to a massive cover-up with SARS and even though their figures this time may be suspect, the procedures put in place should hopefully contain the disease.

I tend to believe the professionals from Europe and around the world as opposed to the info coming out of China.  

So dont do anything and wait till  until it is a bigger problem

Thats what you want.

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

About 800 people died from SARS in total (worldwide) - a negligible number of people compared to those who die from flu every year.

SARS turned out to be nothing.

Try telling that to the people who were there at the time and know how serious this was to control.

And the relatives of those who died.

Would it be nothing to you if your parents or family died?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, THE LONG ROAD HOME said:

My brother-in-law is a Chinese doctor for 11 years now. This as of yesterday... 90,000 to 156,000+ dead in quarantined cities and increasing exponentially. Mass burials. Medical staff exhausted and worried. Medical supplies and meds severely lacking/gone. Food hording and price gouging taking place.  One must understand Chi-Com propaganda and how the Chi-Coms historically suppress the true numbers of the dead and dying. His best advice, get ready for what is happening in China to happen here very soon. 

If that is true then we have a very serious problem. The whole world does..

What did your BIL  say about the cause of death. What age groups?

High risk people? From pneumonia or something else?

200,000 sounds a lot. But out of 30 million in lockdown , not so bad.

Edited by emptypockets

4 hours ago, ebean001 said:

before you panic, the USA had 80,000 citizens die of the flu in 2018. No panic, no lock down, little news...just bad health care from a 'for profit' system. i.e pay or no service.

And before you come out with your interesting stats, you should realize that the current reported mortality rate for the virus that emerged in Wuhan is 2.5% of reported cases. 

Your 80,000 deaths stemmed from an estimated 44 million flu cases in the U.S.A. in 2018. That is a mortality rate of 0.02%.

Hmmmm ... I know why I am concerned.

Edited by Sunderland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, THE LONG ROAD HOME said:

My brother-in-law is a Chinese doctor for 11 years now. This as of yesterday... 90,000 to 156,000+ dead in quarantined cities and increasing exponentially. Mass burials. Medical staff exhausted and worried. Medical supplies and meds severely lacking/gone. Food hording and price gouging taking place.  One must understand Chi-Com propaganda and how the Chi-Coms historically suppress the true numbers of the dead and dying. His best advice, get ready for what is happening in China to happen here very soon. 

Pure unadulterated lies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I can post them videos of Chinese dead in the street and bus terminals if they like

Which is odd because I'm in China and there's no-one dead in the streets or bus terminals.

11 hours ago, manhood said:

Thailands main problem: incompetence! Listen and waiting for decissions of another country that never tell the truth to public!

Better watch up latest information on countries out of Asia working on that problem and have disease institutes!

The World Health Organisation do though. And they're in overall control of it.

Just now, Traubert said:
11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I can post them videos of Chinese dead in the street and bus terminals if they like

Which is odd because I'm in China and there's no-one dead in the streets or bus terminals.

But are you in the affected ( locked down) cities?

10 hours ago, xylophone said:

And that's just the least of it, because I have witnessed them spitting on the floors of shopping malls {yes inside of the malls) and one did it right next to me so I shouted at him "you dirty bar-steward", but he walked on oblivious.

Sneezing over the open salad area, and just about anywhere they wish without covering their face is something else which makes me very wary of these horrible people.

And don't get me started about them urinating on the floors or defecating on the pavements, both of which I've seen them do, because I have no time for them, and if they were to put the whole of China on a lockdown, I would be forever grateful.

You already openly admitted that you're a racist bigot when it comes to the Chinese on another thread today. No need to make it more obvious.

No-one should believe a word you say.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, sharecropper said:

Waiting for information from China? Probably the only country in the world I'd trust less than Thailand with official 'news' and self-serving official BS. Thailand's 'government' again proves it cannot act decisively in a crisis.

Congratulations! The first Thai bash. I bet you're well chuffed at getting the first lick in, eh?

Now that I've got your attention, what's your opinion on the World Health Organization making the public statement that in their opinion, it's a 'bit too early' for the rest of the world to get excited about this?

No? Nothing?

Anyone? Anyone?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Now that I've got your attention, what's your opinion on the World Health Organization making the public statement that in their opinion, it's a 'bit too early' for the rest of the world to get excited about this?

No? Nothing?

Anyone? Anyone?

Some report of 10 Chinese cities on lock down. Plus the Chinese are traveling for New Year. So what are the WHO and the Thais gonna do, wait till it is too late?

15 minutes ago, snatur said:

Another strange sentence I read here..

"Our country can control the situation well."

But what should they say else? Don't surprise!

Here some infos from china..
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/22/world/asia/china-coronavirus-travel.html

35 million people in lockdown as I understand it.

5 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

35 million people in lockdown as I understand it.

Yeah but if we shut Swampy airport we won't have any tourists. So who cares if we all end up dead, we will die rich!.... Thai logic.

(make that Super Rich, apparently if you are a Thai Hiso it's no longer enough to be just plain rich)

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Haha 2

However and how worst it is,  may watch this.. ..

But when I think about that the us usually not really are so friendly about chinese people in any cases, so the 'elite' likes to decrease the mankind anyway in an amount approx 80 percent. So I would not wonder if this virus was imported to do a part of the job as well. But I guess almost many people do not know this, even wanna believe it. (Think twice)

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

About 800 people died from SARS in total (worldwide) - a negligible number of people compared to those who die from flu every year.

SARS turned out to be nothing.

Abject misinformation and there is no point in making any more posts after this on this subject to aid peoples understanding.

There were nearly 300 died in hong kong from SARs. Compared to a normal annual rate recently in single figures or not a lot higher unless you look at real pandemics.

What would happen if the same ratio happened elsewhere.

I just dont understand why people are trolling justified comments without any understanding.

"Nothing" means nothing. Zero.

SARS was not nothing.

Perhaps best that the chinese say nothing.

Then  if it spreads it is somebody else's problem.

Hong kong bore the brunt of SARS. For anybody to say it is nothing is utter BS.

The discussion should be whether the thai authorities do what may be necessary, not ridiculing the risks of what happened before.

Only time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1