Never leave the lab without checking your HIV test results.

Momofarang

I am a married guy, with a lovely family leaving somewhere in Issan.  Having low risk prostate cancer I have to go 3 times a year to Bangkok to check whether the status of my cancer must be upgraded or not.

So, I let you guess what I am doing my free time during those three days? Yes, you are right, I am boombooming my head out. And inevitably and every single trip, I “bump” into some  young girl who happily omits to require the condom. Probably out of respect for elders. It is amazing, that so far, no doctor has identified HIV as a side effect of PCA active surveillance.

Since I am not totally irresponsible I get STD tested on every trip, and take a “Rape kit” consisting of 1500 mg of Zythromax and 400 of Cefixime. So last Thursday I went once more to one of the now many clinics in Bangkok to get checked. During the short routine interview I was asked to wait 10 minutes to get the results as they would want to discuss further course of action in case anything was positive. Got finger pricked, waited maybe 15 minutes, and the cashier called me and handed over my envelope, 1000 Bahts, see you again in May.

I left and went on with my naughty daily routine. At about 2pm I went to have lunch at Monsoon’s, had a pint of Singh, dug into my Lamb shank, got a couple of glasses of red and decided to have a look at my results, and… oh horror! It showed “HIV positive”. Fraak! I knew it didn’t make sense, they should have kept me and my risk is low anyway, but when reading “HIV positive” on a paper with your name on it you can’t stop yourself from seeing your nice family life falling into pieces. To cut it short I skipped coffee and desert, checked bin, and must have looked quite shaken when leaving.

At the lab they didn’t waste any time and the doctor I met said right away, “I don’t think that’s right”. She looked up her screen and it showed my record as HIV negative. They gave me a new test report and three vouchers for free tests. When I left the whole staff of about 5  or 6 people was waiting to Wai me out.

What bothers me now, that if I got a false positive it is quite likely that someone somewhere could have a false negative and carry on unwittingly infecting other people. If I had bothered opening my envelope at the counter before leaving this could have been avoided. Also in the past I got test results sent by email, what would I have done if I had gotten a “positive” back home in Issan, food for thought, isn’t?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 8

20 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

So, I let you guess what I am doing my free time during those three days? Yes, you are right, I am boombooming my head out. And inevitably and every single trip, I “bump” into some  young girl who happily omits to require the condom. Probably out of respect for elders. It is amazing, that so far, no doctor has identified HIV as a side effect of PCA active surveillance.

????????????????????

14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

assume they check your PSA or do a finger test?

Lots of Doctors I believe between Issan and Bangkok that can do these tests.  Or, is it your excuse to go to Bangkok for sex?

+ MP-MRIs and Biopsies, good luck if you want to do that in an Issan hospital. Further, Thai doctors hardly know about active surveillance, had to twist the arm of my English speaking Bumrungrad medic, don't see myself doing this to an Issan doctor used to treat rice farmers. Also the most common PCA treatment in the provinces is bilateral  Orchiectomy. Think about it.

Edited by Momofarang

29 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

This one is a valid question, the answer is I don't know. My risk is low for the simple reason that the transmission rates are low and that I get unprotected only 3 or 4 times a year. I never put any pressure on the girl I always have condoms and KY in my room. I have had a vasectomy after my last child and I am taking Proscar hence produce a vastly reduced amount of sperm. For some reasons there are girls who just don't bother asking for condoms and when I party I don't think.

My God....!

• Like 1

So you took a new test?

They gave you the wrong test report?

The computer printed having a glitch?

Unless they gave you the wrong report or a new test this doesn't make sense. I am not judging you, just be safer next time but tell me how this was rectified as a negative result in the end..

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

So you took a new test?

They gave you the wrong test report?

The computer printed having a glitch?

Unless they gave you the wrong report or a new test this doesn't make sense. I am not judging you, just be safer next time but tell me how their was rectified as a negative result in the end..

They transfer manually, the test result from their lab system into a word document. This especially if you have two farangs at the clinic at the same time can lead to human error. Hence the need to "open" the result in front of a clinic staff.

39 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

I was trying to be informative. If you ask me I do practice safe sex, I could opt for PREP, but several doctors in the clinics said that my level of risk doesn't warrant it. Regular tests is an adequate strategy.

Now I guess many of the hypocritical, sanctimonious, nauseous, comments I am getting here are from people way past their andropause.

Get a grip on your dick and work it. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

They transfer manually, the test result from their lab system into a word document. This especially if you have two farangs at the clinic at the same time can lead to human error. Hence the need to "open" the result in front of a clinic staff.

Sounds like another quick test would be in order to really clear this up.

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Sounds like another quick test would be in order to really clear this up.

I test every time I go to Bangkok. But they let me check the Lab computer record, it was negative.

Edited by Momofarang

1 hour ago, Momofarang said:

My risk is low for the simple reason that the transmission rates are low and that I get unprotected only 3 or 4 times a year.

Yep, you might well get away with it the first 3 times. But the 4th.......??????? Is a 25% annual risk factor low by your reckoning? Certainly ain't by mine!

Edited by OJAS

9 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Yep, you might well get away with it the first 3 times. But the 4th.......??????? Is a 25% annual risk factor low by your reckoning? Certainly ain't by mine!

Sorry mate but that's Buffalo Excrement.

Sheryl is right in that you MAY catch HIV the first time you have sex with an HIV infected partner. But the actual probabilities are ranging from 1 in 1000 to 1 in 2000, for insertive vaginal sex. Now if one in Five working girls are HIV positive than the total risk is 1 in 5000 to 1 in 10000. There are always two way to look probabilities. You see quite honestly I don't know if I put my family more at risk when I take them for a 100km drive on Thai roads or when I bareback a young girl from Nana Plaza.

Edited by Momofarang

Yeah, so in reality you should not be sleeping with your wife as the virus takes up to 6 months on far end to be active readable. And an STD giving it to your wife is not good as well as I believe there is one if you contract it that it has a high chance of giving your wife cervical cancer. I think it is called HPV if recall correctly. So what is worse? HPV and a cancer or HIV? 

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

1). It only takes one unprotected encounter. you are playing a form of Russian roulette - and subjecting your wife to it.

2) Absence of sperm is completely irrelevant to risk.

As already mentioned these "clinics" are nto a reliable source of advice or testing.  Not unknown for some to not even do the actual blood test, just make money by going through the motions and telling men what they want to hear.

Get a reliable HIV test at the Red Cross Anonymous clinic in Bangkok or a proper hospital. Red cross is better as they do batch NAT testing so can pick up infections earlier.

And then (assuming negative) either

(1) use condoms without fail, no exceptions, full stop

OR

(2) Stop sleeping with your wife (or always use condoms with her, but since you have had a vasectomy that would need some explaining....).

It is up to you if you want to risk an infection but you have no right to put her at risk, and you have been doing so.

Sheryl as you well know I know all this, and obviously you fulfill your duty here. I am also grateful that you let the thread go on as it may help me, and others, to put things into a more elaborate prospective. I have tried to keep my answers to some posts factual and refrained to respond to insults which may be the arm of the impotent.

Edited by Momofarang
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Momofarang said:

What bothers me now, that if I got a false positive it is quite likely that someone somewhere could have a false negative and carry on unwittingly infecting other people.

It seems rather odd you saying that about another man - when you could have quite easily have picked up HIV yourself and be infecting others before your test results came in - along with your wife - who hopefully is seeing a decent man and about to leave you

• Like 1
  • Sad 1