BANGKOK
Momofarang

Never leave the lab without checking your HIV test results.

I am a married guy, with a lovely family leaving somewhere in Issan.  Having low risk prostate cancer I have to go 3 times a year to Bangkok to check whether the status of my cancer must be upgraded or not.

So, I let you guess what I am doing my free time during those three days? Yes, you are right, I am boombooming my head out. And inevitably and every single trip, I “bump” into some  young girl who happily omits to require the condom. Probably out of respect for elders. It is amazing, that so far, no doctor has identified HIV as a side effect of PCA active surveillance.

Since I am not totally irresponsible I get STD tested on every trip, and take a “Rape kit” consisting of 1500 mg of Zythromax and 400 of Cefixime. So last Thursday I went once more to one of the now many clinics in Bangkok to get checked. During the short routine interview I was asked to wait 10 minutes to get the results as they would want to discuss further course of action in case anything was positive. Got finger pricked, waited maybe 15 minutes, and the cashier called me and handed over my envelope, 1000 Bahts, see you again in May.

I left and went on with my naughty daily routine. At about 2pm I went to have lunch at Monsoon’s, had a pint of Singh, dug into my Lamb shank, got a couple of glasses of red and decided to have a look at my results, and… oh horror! It showed “HIV positive”. Fraak! I knew it didn’t make sense, they should have kept me and my risk is low anyway, but when reading “HIV positive” on a paper with your name on it you can’t stop yourself from seeing your nice family life falling into pieces. To cut it short I skipped coffee and desert, checked bin, and must have looked quite shaken when leaving.

At the lab they didn’t waste any time and the doctor I met said right away, “I don’t think that’s right”. She looked up her screen and it showed my record as HIV negative. They gave me a new test report and three vouchers for free tests. When I left the whole staff of about 5  or 6 people was waiting to Wai me out.

What bothers me now, that if I got a false positive it is quite likely that someone somewhere could have a false negative and carry on unwittingly infecting other people. If I had bothered opening my envelope at the counter before leaving this could have been avoided. Also in the past I got test results sent by email, what would I have done if I had gotten a “positive” back home in Issan, food for thought, isn’t?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 8

20 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

So, I let you guess what I am doing my free time during those three days? Yes, you are right, I am boombooming my head out. And inevitably and every single trip, I “bump” into some  young girl who happily omits to require the condom. Probably out of respect for elders. It is amazing, that so far, no doctor has identified HIV as a side effect of PCA active surveillance.

😳😳😳😳😳

14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

assume they check your PSA or do a finger test?

Lots of Doctors I believe between Issan and Bangkok that can do these tests.  Or, is it your excuse to go to Bangkok for sex?

+ MP-MRIs and Biopsies, good luck if you want to do that in an Issan hospital. Further, Thai doctors hardly know about active surveillance, had to twist the arm of my English speaking Bumrungrad medic, don't see myself doing this to an Issan doctor used to treat rice farmers. Also the most common PCA treatment in the provinces is bilateral  Orchiectomy. Think about it.

Edited by Momofarang