How's your ole bag experience

Chazar

From recent observation (in BKK) I'd say the supermarkets are deserted compared to Before the Ban. In particular, drop in people shopping for fresh veg and fruit - bulky, needs bags.

And online grocery is simultaneously booming (I just got an order where the first available delivery slot was two days hence) - I'd say that's a result of the Ban. Yes it all arrives without a clutch of bags, but you only have to carry from your door, not all the way home.

If I'm right, and if the Ban stays, it could be the end of selecting your own onions or potatoes.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We still generate far too much plastic waste, but at least we are trying.

My wife came home from Tesco yesterday with shopping in a large heavy duty laundry type basket, they gave it to her in Tesco as she had forgotten her bag! 

No sure they have bought into this yet?

Edited by CGW

38 minutes ago, Crossy said:

One thing they will have to do is to modify the checkout counters for self-bagging.

In Italy and Belgium (both bag-free and we've lived there) the outgoing side is sloped with a movable divider. Checkout operator places the goods on the slope and it slides towards the customer who is packing it. Once customer is done the divider is moved across and the next customer served before customer one has finished packing.

Like this:-

futura_plus_classic_cefla.jpg

Come on that cost money.

It's back to business as usual here in phuket, Central festival still does not give out bags at the supermarket there so most stopped going there and big tesco lasted a whole 3 weeks without bags and they now have plastic bags back. The manager told me not just tesco but all the stores in the complex were losing lots of money because of it, people didn't want to walk around and shop while carrying 6-10 items....Good to see some of the big shops showing some common sense!

22 hours ago, Beggar said:

I don't like to go shopping like before. I always have now the feeling that I get punished when I have to bag everything myself. Therefore now I buy only what I really need and what fits into 1 bag. And I never buy anything if I don't have a bag with me. I save a lot of money. 

Easy enough to fold or roll a plastic bag or two and put them in your backpack, work bag, in door pocket in your car, under the seat of your mc, etc.

I was with a farang buddy in 7/11 a while back. He had forgotten to slip a couple of plastic bags in his computer bag. When he suddenly realized 'no bag', an older Thai lady pulled one out of her handbag and gave it to him with a big smile and saying 'leum' (forget, or in this context probably meaning 'did you forget'? He politely took the bag with a wai and said politely 'chai khrup luem, khun chuay mark, kop khon mark hkrup'. Everybody smiled and laughed.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Easy enough to fold or roll a plastic bag or two and put them in your backpack, work bag, in door pocket in your car, under the seat of your mc, etc.

I was with a farang buddy in 7/11 a while back. He had forgotten to slip a couple of plastic bags in his computer bag. When he suddenly realized 'no bag', an older Thai lady pulled one out of her handbag and gave it to him with a big smile and saying 'leum' (forget, or in this context probably meaning 'did you forget'? He politely took the bag with a wai and said politely 'chai khrup luem, khun chuay mark, kop khon mark hkrup'. Everybody smiled and laughed.

Not so easy. I have no car or a mc. To make the matter worse - I live in Pattaya. Here are many young ladies but almost no old ones. And the small plastic bags these young ladies have with them they need for their job. 

• Sad 1

I live in Hua Hin and it appears to be business as usual.  The queues in Tesco are still long.  They do have two alternative bags for sale, the most expensive one being 29 baht.  I can't remember the cost of the cheaper one but it's only a few baht.

The 7/11's I use always pack my bag without question.  If you don't give them your bag, they'll ask for it.

Mostly used by Thais of course and I've never seen any argument.  Seems, in general, they're getting with the program.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

One thing they will have to do is to modify the checkout counters for self-bagging.

In Italy and Belgium (both bag-free and we've lived there) the outgoing side is sloped with a movable divider. Checkout operator places the goods on the slope and it slides towards the customer who is packing it. Once customer is done the divider is moved across and the next customer served before customer one has finished packing.

Like this:-

futura_plus_classic_cefla.jpg

I grew up with this in Sweden 50 years ago....

• Like 1

At my local Tesco the young salesgirls who usually accost people trying to sell their beauty products right in the doorway now have a new tack, they now offer a small shopping bag ( similar to those bought in Seven ) free with any whitening cream etc etc.

Unfortunately their sales pitch seems to have stepped up a notch and now includes swinging the bag in front of entering customers faces !!

So annoying , one young lady took exception to this tactic and and had a stand up face to face shouting match the other week.

First “ face rage “ experience i have witnessed !!, am hoping for more it was very good ????

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, baansgr said:

Apart from customers having tiffin tins or Tupperware pots, what do you suggest  street sellers and market stalls pack their food in?

Use the same as they had before plastic bags, banana leafs, stackable carry pots, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I was with a farang buddy in 7/11 a while back. He had forgotten to slip a couple of plastic bags in his computer bag

55 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

I see people in 7/11 only buying what they can store on their motorcycle, usually only 2 or 3 items.

<deleted> are you buying at 7-11 that cant be drunk or eaten right outside (or inside at the ones with counters).

I don't go into 7-11 unless I am hungry or thirsty at that moment. It isn't a grocery store, for Buddhas sake. 

Don't think I have ever bought more than 2 or 3 items at 7-11.  

The 3 baht bags I bought last month at Central are easy to fold and put into my cargo short pocket. 

The ladies at Central, Tops, and Foodland always pack the groceries into my bag for me

Peace

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, baansgr said:

Apart from customers having tiffin tins or Tupperware pots, what do you suggest  street sellers and market stalls pack their food in?

Living in Jomtien, I've yet to see this with street/market vendors as all my purchases from them have been plastic bagged. The bag ban seems mostly directed at farang based corporate entities. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, samsensam said:

you've answered your own question. i have seen thais using their own tuppaware pots when buying street food to take home. it takes a bit of forethought but it's easy enough to do. next.

There's no nationwide ban against plastic bags. I live next to a market that sells everything like it's supposed to do. I have never seen a thai person at the market bringing their own food container, especially not Tupperware. Same when buying street food. In my area there are 3 7/11 and 1 Tesco Lotus Express, and they have lost loads of thai people because of non-existing plastic bags.