Retirement Visa insurance only 13 companies?

I went to the Bangkok immigration office 2 days ago. 

They told me to show the insurance, and I do not have. 

So, they gave me the website https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

In this website, they asked me to buy one of those 13 companies' insurance. 

But, I am not sure if it is limited only to those 13 companies or I can apply for the other one not on the list. 

Is there anyone who knows about this?

I would be very appreciated it in advance. 

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes they are the only companies accepted.

Hasn't anyone been successful with the overseas insurance certificate? I'm pretty sure I have read that some fellas had gotten it. I won't be able to go back now and confirm though. So legit question, your the one to ask for sure. 

https://longstay.tgia.org/document/overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf

5 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Hasn't anyone been successful with the overseas insurance certificate? I'm pretty sure I have read that some fellas had gotten it. I won't be able to go back now and confirm though. So legit question, your the one to ask for sure. 

That is only good if applying for a OA visa at a embassy or official consulate in your home country.

Immigration is not accepting them.

• Thanks 1

The foreign insurance certificate is accepted only for initial issuance of a new  OA visa. It cannot be used for extensions. It may also not be accepted for more than the first entry/first year of using a new OA visa though this part is still a little unclear since th new policy has not been effect for long yet.

Bluesky these policies are, to put it mildly, nowhere near as good as a foreign policy. Some people get high deductible policies from Pacific Cross (e.g. 400K cover with a 300K excess, essentially a "throw away" policy) just to meet immigration requirements.

Others leave the country to get an O instead of OA visa. The requirement is only for OA visas. This is especially easy to do if married to a Thai and in that case do your extension based on marriage not retirement.

Others switch to Thai Elite.

The one thing you absolutely should not do is drop your international policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gargamon said:

Funny, I have a retirement visa, recently renewed, and they (Jomtien) told me I didn't need insurance.

You were probably extending a entry from a non-o visa. They are only wanting it for those that are extending a entry from a OA visa.

13 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I would have thought it highly unlikely that yer typical foreign insurer would have even heard of Cabinet Resolution dated 2 April B.E. 2562 (2019), let alone had a copy of said Resolution readily to hand at their fingertips for verification purposes!

EDIT: As subsequently pointed out only applicable to initial OA visa applications in home countries in any event.

Edited by OJAS

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You were probably extending a entry from a non-o visa. They are only wanting it for those that are extending a entry from a OA visa.

I suppose we are all just one more police order away from having an insurance requirement across the board? All non-immigrant "O" categories in addition to the O-A?

7 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I suppose we are all just one more police order away from having an insurance requirement across the board? All non-immigrant "O" categories in addition to the O-A?

Before a police order could be issued there would have to be another Cabinet Resolution or else change to the Immigration Law.

The existing resolution allowed them to go forward only for OA visas.

I can't say what they will do, but we will have at least advance notice via a cabinet resplution if something is coming.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Before a police order could be issued there would have to be another Cabinet Resolution or else change to the Immigration Law.

The existing resolution allowed them to go forward only for OA visas.

I can't say what they will do, but we will have at least advance notice via a cabinet resplution if something is coming.

Would you happen to have a link to this effect handy? Thank you for all your responses. Edit: A link to the current cabinet resolution indicating the O-A only.

Edited by Tounge Thaied

35 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

TT, Before I entered the country on my pre Oct 31, 2019, issued OA, there was a rash of issues which had cropped up with immigration.  As such I obtained the form and tried to get my State of California Blue Cross provider to sign the form so I could return to the Los Angeles consulate and ensure they notated my visa as having insurance, which at the time issued was not required yet.  Blue Cross would not sign the certificate as there was no way to get to director signatures, and only gave me a copy of my regular policy certificate.  The consulate indicated that this would not work for my O-A Visa, but I should not have any issues on arrival in Thailand, as my Visa was prior to the October 31, 2019 date.

In essence I was told that my HI carrier in the U.S. would not work.  However, I do have a policy with Pacific Cross, and they did place a note in the immigration data base as such.  However it was not needed as I went through arrival with only a few extra minutes spent as the IO looked at my Visa, and I think my immigration history.  

Not sure if that helps.  I do remember someone claiming their German Insurer signed the form for them to use. 

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

TT, Before I entered the country on my pre Oct 31, 2019, issued OA, there was a rash of issues which had cropped up with immigration.  As such I obtained the form and tried to get my State of California Blue Cross provider to sign the form so I could return to the Los Angeles consulate and ensure they notated my visa as having insurance, which at the time issued was not required yet.  Blue Cross would not sign the certificate as there was no way to get to director signatures, and only gave me a copy of my regular policy certificate.  The consulate indicated that this would not work for my O-A Visa, but I should not have any issues on arrival in Thailand, as my Visa was prior to the October 31, 2019 date.

In essence I was told that my HI carrier in the U.S. would not work.  However, I do have a policy with Pacific Cross, and they did place a note in the immigration data base as such.  However it was not needed as I went through arrival with only a few extra minutes spent as the IO looked at my Visa, and I think my immigration history.  

Not sure if that helps.  I do remember someone claiming their German Insurer signed the form for them to use. 

When I read that insurance certificate form, to me it asking for two printed "Director" names and only one signature. 

14 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

When I read that insurance certificate form, to me it asking for two printed "Director" names and only one signature. 

I wish that was true, but even then, no one wanted to sign the form not knowing how they would be affected in a foreign country based upon a cabinet resolution which did not pertain to them.

• Thanks 1