Thoughts/advice on Tyre squeel ?

My car has started squeeling like hell on low speed manouvre and when braking ?

You can throw into a bend and nothing, do a U-turn and it squeels like hell. It also starts squeeling when braking in a straight line (slowing to traffic lights etc).

The tyres have done around 40k and show little signs of wear, good tread etc. Tyre pressures at recommended 32psi.

Any suggestions as to what is doing this and how to stop it ? (other than changing the tyres)

Thanks

58 minutes ago, transam said:

OK, then it seems a visit to a place that does tracking....

You bumped any curbs lately or pot holes..?

Well you know how Thai roads are, perfect one minute next like a mortar practice range........so yeah, have hit a few. Guess I'll see if theres a tyre place with tracking equipment around.

Thanks to those that answered.

7 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Are you sure it is not worn out brake pads?

Brake pads dont sqeel just because you are turning the vehicle slowly, I also think after 45 yrs driving I know the difference between pads or metal on metal or rubber on the road.

Edited by Black Ops
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Black Ops said:

Bridgestone EP150 original tyres from when car was new.

My Bridge/Duelers have squealed from new not all the time but sometimes braking, cornering & accelerating depends how fast I'm going even with 30psi front and 40psi rear, same when no load and letting rear to 30psi, it don't bother me.

• Like 1

If I were you I would take with a pinch of salt all the info or the advice you have received so far.

Happens every year around this time, I have been getting it for years. More than likely nothing to do with tyres or pressure or as some suggest tracking. It's due to the lack of rain and build up of rubber and other rubbish on the roads.

You will find if you open your windows that all the 4 tyre will squeal at curtain/odd times. Even more pronounced on a 2 wheel drive from front wheels. To a lesser extent with 4x4. On the odd occasion I'm in 4x4 I seldom get any squeal.

Once it has rained you will find that the squealing will stop. Just take care with the first bit of rain as the roads will be like glass.

I see yet again that the GREAT In Know it all T/A has put confused on one of my posts. I would be pleased if the OP will post again to let me know if I'm correct.  

Edited by fredob43
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

If I were you I would take with a pinch of salt all the info or the advice you have received so far.

Happens every year around this time, I have been getting it for years. More than likely nothing to do with tyres or pressure or as some suggest tracking. It's due to the lack of rain and build up of rubber and other rubbish on the roads.

You will find if you open your windows that all the 4 tyre will squeal at curtain/odd times. Even more pronounced on a 2 wheel drive from front wheels. To a lesser extent with 4x4. On the odd occasion I'm in 4x4 I seldom get any squeal.

Once it has rained you will find that the squealing will stop. Just take care with the first bit of rain as the roads will be like glass.  

????.........

16 minutes ago, transam said:

????.........

Well lets see if I'm correct and you are wrong yet again. Once the OP has had the first bit of rain he will find that the squealing will stop.

If you got out more and did a bit of driving instead of sitting on your comp: all day 24/7 you might find things out.

Oh and while I'm at it you will seldom find you get squealing on a front wheel drive. It's more pronounced with 2 wheel rear drive.

I knew this from my racing days years ago. If you had done a bit of racing and not just posing in your lumps you would also know this.

Edited by fredob43
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Bridgestone tires are second rate in my opinion. Their golf balls are ok.

Michelin much better tires I bet that would solve the problem but will cost you.

I have had it on Bridgestone and Firestone as well as the new Dunlop I have fitted now. Nothing to do with tyres please read my posts.

11 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Check for worn steering or suspension joints and bushes, which in turn will cause incorrect wheel alignment and scrubbing of the tyres resulting in the noise you hear.

If the guy has any of that stuff he will feel it through the steering wheel, he hasn't mentioned that.

15 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Well lets see if I'm correct and you are wrong yet again. Once the OP has had the first bit of rain he will find that the squealing will stop.

If you got out more and did a bit of driving instead of sitting on your comp: all day 24/7 you might find things out.

Oh and while I'm at it you will seldom find you get squealing on a front wheel drive. It's more pronounced with 2 wheel rear drive.

I knew this from my racing days years ago. If you had done a bit of racing and not just posing in your lumps you would also know this.

So, hands up everybody......Whos ride is doing what the OP's is doing.....?

PS. In over 50 years of driving, whether professional or private, I have only had what the OP has had a few times. My tiled drive in LOS, a spiral drive in a multistory car park in LOS and lastly I bent a track rod on a Mk.2 Zephyr after mounting a curb...????

1 hour ago, transam said:

So, hands up everybody......Whos ride is doing what the OP's is doing.....?

PS. In over 50 years of driving, whether professional or private, I have only had what the OP has had a few times. My tiled drive in LOS, a spiral drive in a multistory car park in LOS and lastly I bent a track rod on a Mk.2 Zephyr after mounting a curb...????

Only hope that the OP puts a reply in once the rain has started and I will be proved correct and the big heads that think they know everything??? are proved wrong yet again.

My last word on the subject. Go stand near a U turn on a duel carriageway and you would find that 80% of car tyres will squeal. Sorry to say that you will have to leave your beloved Comp: for some time. But you could take it with you and play as normal. Just make sure your battery is topped up.

For your information TA the squealing doesn't happen to much in the UK as there they don't have the same weather as Thailand. As I have said get out you might learn things.

Edited by fredob43

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Only hope that the OP puts a reply in once the rain has started and I will be proved correct and the big heads that think they know everything??? are proved wrong yet again.

My last word on the subject. Go stand near a U turn on a duel carriageway and you would find that 80% of car tyres will squeal. Sorry to say that you will have to leave your beloved Comp: for some time. But you could take it with you and play as normal. Just make sure your battery is topped up.

The OP states it squeals in a straight line as well as turning..........????

PS. Rain acts like a "bearing" under a tyre, called slip, that's why cars can skid....

1 hour ago, transam said:

The OP states it squeals in a straight line as well as turning..........????

PS. Rain acts like a "bearing" under a tyre, called slip, that's why cars can skid....

The OP states that he gets it to a small degree when breaking and a lot more when on U Turns and maneuvering his car I assume at low speeds. You have to think of where do you get less grip when turning your wheels to the left or right as you move off. The lump will want to go strait and the front wheels want the thing to turn, Putting more pressure on the tread. It's as I have said due to the muck grease rubber on the roads. That makes them squeal. With even bigger build up of same on tight turns and breaking places. Pretty logical if you think about it.  

My front wheels squealed several times on 90% bends/U turns this morning when I went out shopping. Stopped when I put in 4x4 to try if it still did it. It's down to grip. If you drive Very slowly round tight U bends it doesn't happen so much. 

My lump doesn't have anything wrong with the tracking or tyres. It was checked last week, when Toyo did a full free 60km check on it. Didn't need it as it's only done 35k km. But a freebee from Toyo so why not.   

Edited by fredob43