Latest nonsense at P.Thani IO for Marriage Extension

4 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Interesting to hear they have now upped the fee to 2000 baht. It is supposed to be free, of course. It was only 1000 baht when I did it in November.

I hope you didn't hand over 1000 baht for the home visit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Sadly I did. It's not worth the fight.  I know...I'm a collaborator. Just not worth the frustration to fight it.

Well as long as you got your extension, I see where you're coming from. 2000 though is crazy.

3 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Sadly I did. It's not worth the fight.  I know...I'm a collaborator. Just not worth the frustration to fight it.

I guess if we'd been willing to wait for the "within 2 weeks" for the home visit, then no baht. But we had to push them for an expedited visit....hence  B2k.

I didn't play this,  wifey did.????

1 minute ago, orchidfan said:

The list would be too long!

Playing on mobile phones would be number two to "tips".

Or asking for things they shouldn't be asking for to annoy people, being incredibly slow and anal about certain tiny things. Sounds like it might make a good Panorama episode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

Home Visit : We asked for it in the next 2 days as wife was off overseas - can do, but B2000 fee!!

Three IO's arrive in a brand new BMW 2 days later.

I recently went through a stressful time doing my 4th marriage extension, but not to your level, Kor Ror 2 needed to be renewed and all bank statements copied, IO did that for us, when I asked him if this was a new thing, he said, no, he did it every year for me (grateful), and some other copies of some stuff while we rushed off to the local Amphur on a Friday afternoon at 4.00pm to get an updated Kor Ror 2 (never asked before), otherwise it would have been an hour 20 drive back to ours, then back on Monday, another hour 20 drive and then back home, again an hour and 20 drive.

We have only ever had them visit once, i.e. the very first marriage extension 4 years ago, cost 1,500 baht for petrol...lol, is this supposed to be an annual occurrence ?

The above said, these IO's have always been good, busy, but smile and persevere, they don't like their jobs, who would with the amount of <deleted> they have to put up with, you would think the top brass would make things easier, but nope, even with technology at their fingertips.

When I go back to get my passport stamped in the first week of February, some freshly made lamington's for the boys, and a small tip, only because they don't ask, i.e. unless I have stuffed up and the only way of me not having to drive back is by scanning something to them, or them visiting us, as I said was once.

If they were rude and obnoxious, well, no lamingtons for you ????

I don't live in the same Thailand as you ..:cheesy:
I already knew it since my province is in Isaan - Sakon Nakhon

When I arrive alone for my 90 days, it is rare that I spend more than 5 minutes in the immigration office unless one of the officers with whom I ride a mountain bike asks me where I have been riding since the last time that we were together; all this in Thai, of course.

For the renewal of my visa "thai wife '; it is of course with madam and a relatively thick file; yes, 2 cm it is about ca .. and it generally lasts 60 to 90 minutes;
in any case the "thai wife 'files are all sent to Khorat who processes them.
The renewal officially costs 1900 baht but they never have change on two 1,000 baht notes;
100 baht tip is really not much!
I will never be so reckless as to bring them the right sum!

We once had the visit of an immigration officer, a long time ago and since nothing ...
and he never asked us to reimburse his GO!

I think that rubbing shoulders with certain officers outside of their work and also speaking a little Thai should help.
I am very far from speaking this language fluently; I can read it, I don't write it.

• Confused 3

"they" always told me Khorat;
but if it's Khon Kaen, then it will be Khon Kaen ..:jap:

In any case, I thank them for giving me a one-year extension for nearly 15 years when it is very rare that there are more than 20 to 30,000 baht on my Thai bank account and my monthly retirement which is transferred to my bank account by the French Embassy in Bangkok is currently below the 40,000 baht minimum requirement;
and it already was in July of this year when I did my n-th extension; which was accepted without any problem.
As I often say and I also write here, each Immigration office makes its own personal salad which often has nothing to do with official texts.

Being one of the "i had all my papers in order crowd" actually still had to do a few more etc ,but no really big deal ,at Jomtien they could not have been nicer ,same as those 3 guys who came to our house ,mind you it helps to have a very articulate wife and the fact that there were pictures of us all around me with her family and her with my family in the UK, and also with some of her family in the UK when they visited us ,it was obvious we had been married for years ,that and i smiled a lot???? 

ps thanks to Ubanjoes list .

Edited by ivor bigun

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

Thank you for this posting of your unfortunate experience at immigration.  A dose of reality is needed to balance the " I had all my papers in order and it only took 15 mins" crowd...☺

Pretty hard for just another, one-off bad experience at a well-known 'bad' immigration office to counterbalance the overwhelmingly large amount of fair-to-good immigration experiences at the 'good' immigration offices, most of which we never, ever hear about.

I appreciate that there's no excuse for this shocking lack or consistency in a government department at the same time as I appreciate that some members do need to vent after their bad experiences.

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody forced them to work in immigration, and almost all the poop they have to endure is entirely brought on by themselves (usually in an attempt to force you into hiring an agent).

Zero sympathy.

PS, any expenses they ask for is actually a bribe they pocket.

Can't argue with that statement, make your bed, lay in it as they say.

PS: Part of the culture ????

• Like 1

It seems all Immigration offices has had a shake. Our office was always very smooth and friendly, with the 90 day taking a few minutes with no paper work involved at all, just a clerk doing it on-line, printing out a confirmation slip and putting that in the passport. Now this past week I went back to do another 90 day and all the staff has been changed, completely new staff at all levels, not one single person remained from last year. Now I had to fill in the form, I noticed a girl with like 50 passports that was sitting and filling in the form for each single passport. Luckily they didn't ask for any additional papers such as copies of passport, pictures, proof of residence etc.

In Trat I O the lady's are fine, the guys that do the home visit are not so fine, when they told me they paid for the ferry (as if they only came to me that day), i politely told them that it was they that wanted to come, i didn't invite you. NO tips only when i go to collect my PP do we give the girls in the office some fresh veggies much to their delight.

@ Orchidfan, I feel your pain! I also have to 'deal' with Pathum Thani immigration office and a I dread the days I have to go there. The 'reception girl', if the one I am thinking of is the prime cause of my frustration and the best advert I have ever met for not wanting anything to do with Thailand, ever. She is clearly a complete disaster and utterly atrocious in her attitude. You have to think that rule number one for anyone working in immigration should be a positive a friendly attitude with the necessary communication skills for dealing with foreigners.

By contrast I have found all the other people working at that office most helpful and friendly.