My 8 year old has Dengue Fever

jimmyyy

One last tidbit of Info, the billing lady said next time no need to bring cash, just do a transfer through the App, Line her the receipt and she will mark the bill as paid in full.  She also said she can take all types of credit cards now as well.  Which is the route i will probably take next time. 

Get a blood test to confirm. Check platelet count.

Keep her away from absolutely everything that might cut her.

Unless high fever (hospital), keep her home. Try and get her to drink sport drinks and have some appetite. If she won't eat, don't press her. You feel like sh!+ and have zero interest in food.

If insurance is paying, just leave her in hospital on a drip.

Abandon any ideas of sending her to school for weeks.

Paracetamol, fluids. Soft foods.

I felt so horrible I didn't even want to eat ice cream.

Edited by Number 6

We are trying everything, she eats just enough not to go back to the hospital, I have made pizza's, french fries, all kinds of her fav snacks.  Yesterday was horrible, today she is eating anything she can get her hands on. It was no problem keeping her in hospital, but the doctor said no need take her home, she goes back every morning from 9 to 12, until the end of the week for bloodwork and IV fluids.  She has tami flu, and 4 other meds i can't read.  She has 2 or 3 older women watching over her almost 24 hours of the day, never realized just how large my wifes family is. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

One last tidbit of Info, the billing lady said next time no need to bring cash, just do a transfer through the App, Line her the receipt and she will mark the bill as paid in full.  She also said she can take all types of credit cards now as well.  Which is the route i will probably take next time. 

Which hospital is this, out of curiosity?

And what was the final bill?

21 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

We are trying everything, she eats just enough not to go back to the hospital, I have made pizza's, french fries, all kinds of her fav snacks.  Yesterday was horrible, today she is eating anything she can get her hands on. It was no problem keeping her in hospital, but the doctor said no need take her home, she goes back every morning from 9 to 12, until the end of the week for bloodwork and IV fluids.  She has tami flu, and 4 other meds i can't read.  She has 2 or 3 older women watching over her almost 24 hours of the day, never realized just how large my wifes family is. 

Convalesence from Dengue is slow. It is better than normal if she is eating at all at this point.

As long as she stays hydrated it's OK.

And no need to be in hospital if she can take fluids orally and platlet count is OK. They will check that daily.

• Like 2

Thanks Sheryl.  

For two days in the hospital i think it was around 6K, every day comes in between 1 and 2K depending on what they are doing that particular day.   She see's the same doctor every morning, she is at the public hospital in the AM, then at the private hospital 40 KM away in the afternoon.  Borabue hospital is the name of the facility.

2 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

the nose bleeds have stopped

Wow, if she was bleeding at all, it was not in the harmless category, she was serious.

I am so glad she is doing better!

As other posters have said, please do something about the mosquitoes around your home, be it wire mesh everywhere, or those plug in mosquito killers.....

• Like 2

I have also cut down all the shrubs, and all water has been emptied from any where on the property, i bought mosquito tents for each one of the kids, and I paid extra to have the interior sprayed.  If there is anything i am not doing that i can please let me know.  Thanks!  Jimmy

Jimmyy... happy to know all is on the improve. It sounds like it was a serious hit  with dengue. Be aware that dengue in  young people in repeated infection can be extreme more so than older people. Precautionary  measures such as you have stated you have taken  are most sensible. Best wishes  for  you and yours.

• Like 1

She will go back to school tomorrow, the Doctors have been running daily CBC blood tests and this morning they are satisfied she is okay.  She still does not have much of an appetite but the doctor says it will improve day by day.   Hate to see my little angel suffering from anything, just kills me inside.

• Like 1