Surin beach ruined by jet ski and ugly chairs

Agusts

I came back in Jan after more than half a year and found my favourite Surin beach ruined by jet ski and ugly black chairs - not beach type but those they usually use in condo balconies...!!!? 

First I thought vow, so many people on the beach, then realised they just put the chairs and parasols all along the beach empty...!??? Waiting for customers...

I mean last year they only rented parasols and beach blanket if somebody wanted,  but now it's like old Patong beach, you can't sit on your towel unless you are in front or behind these rows and rows of tall black ugly chairs...! Arrgh...

Also I think the jet skis don't have permission to come to shore, so the genius Thais have come up with solution to take customers with small inflatable motor boat to about 100m out to get on and off the jet skis...!!!??? What a mess, I don't know what is worse.... And yesterday I  saw two of them come to shore anyway, couldn't resist the quick money ... 

Then these jet ski guys don't understand the instruction not to come close to shore and people, obviously they are show offs and only reason they spend the money is to show to others,  look at me, look how cool I am...!? Not realise it just say how stupid they are, being ripped off  for polluting water with oil and gas, the air with noise and smoke, and endangering and annoying others...! One nearly run over a swimmer, because there is no swimmer area in this beach, very lucky...

The Surin tranquil beach is gone, a lot worse than last year, I  don't like a lot of regulations, but Thai greed just can't leave anything alone, and where are the authorities to stop all this...!!? Is there a complain or reporting email or website for this, let me know...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Ok. Try another beach?

What can I say, one is worse than the other, at least on this one there is no parasailing or banana boats yet, but not for long I think, once the jet ski mafia moves in it means they got the police in their pocket and can do what they like...

The tourists hoards don't care what they get for a couple of weeks, is just a short holiday for them, next year they will be somewhere else, we have to tolerate it as expats and long term residents...

it's similar in Cha-am where the beach itself is within 20 meters from the road

especially on the weekend if you want to come visit and try to park on the beach some old dude or lady will come and ask for money

I was under the impression that all beaches in Thailand were properties of the king (or so I been told)

I remember one of them that was complaining one time that there was not much people anymore and that "this" was their family business..

they all have their chairs and umbrellas packed 5-6 meters of the start of the beach and charging people to sit there, if you walk along the beach another 20-25 meters then its another old lady

people have had their cars paint scratched, tires sliced and/or got attacked for parking and refusing to pay their parking fees before

particularly remember once someone was chasing the other guy with a machete across the road from where I was walking

not sure who they pay money to to be able to be the beach mafia but my assumption are as good as anyone else.

YeP, just yet another nail in the coffin for Thailand, no longer the ELysium it was.  Those wood stock easy days are gone forever.  I used to go to Surin because of the beauty, now I do not bother because of the same reasons.   There are fewer places in Thailand to go, and even fewer reasons to come in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

More nails in the Thai tourism coffin !  Not much room for any more nails.  I have finished with Thailand now.  From Australia there are plenty of better options e.g. Japan, China, Malaysia, Vietnam and more. Even going to Europe is only about $500 more than Thailand and much better places to visit in many countries.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, mike787 said:

YeP, just yet another nail in the coffin for Thailand, no longer the ELysium it was.  Those wood stock easy days are gone forever.  I used to go to Surin because of the beauty, now I do not bother because of the same reasons.   There are fewer places in Thailand to go, and even fewer reasons to come in the first place. 

Curious to know if you can name anywhere that has gotten better with greater reasons to visit now?

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

More nails in the Thai tourism coffin !  Not much room for any more nails.  I have finished with Thailand now.  From Australia there are plenty of better options e.g. Japan, China, Malaysia, Vietnam and more. Even going to Europe is only about $500 more than Thailand and much better places to visit in many countries.

Buh bye.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Curious to know if you can name anywhere that has gotten better with greater reasons to visit now?

Post from jaiyen . "....Japan, China, Malaysia, Vietnam and more. Even going to Europe is only about $500 more than Thailand and much better places to visit in many countries..."  speaks for many of us in the community.  There are way better options, take your rose colored glasses off.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

The poster didn't say that he knew of anywhere that had become, in your argot: "gotten", better. 

He said he knew of places that are better.

I presume he means places that are not as far down the unregulated, ugly, overcrowded, environment/community destroying, ultra avaricious path of mass tourism as Thailand is.

I can think of at least one place, but I'm not going to tell you, or any of the other "mice in their million hordes", about it.

"see the mice in their million hordes, from Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads"

Life on Mars, David Bowie.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Agusts said:

The Surin tranquil beach is gone, a lot worse than last year, I  don't like a lot of regulations, but Thai greed just can't leave anything alone, and where are the authorities to stop all this...!!?

Isn't it just brought back to the state it was before the military took over power for a number of years...????

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Skegness is always worth a visit

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mike787 said:

Post from jaiyen . "....Japan, China, Malaysia, Vietnam and more. Even going to Europe is only about $500 more than Thailand and much better places to visit in many countries..."  speaks for many of us in the community.  There are way better options, take your rose colored glasses off.

+1

13 hours ago, mike787 said:

How are those places and countries “much better” to visit?

how many do you speak for in “the community “?

10 hours ago, Enoon said:

The poster didn't say that he knew of anywhere that had become, in your argot: "gotten", better. 

He said he knew of places that are better.

I presume he means places that are not as far down the unregulated, ugly, overcrowded, environment/community destroying, ultra avaricious path of mass tourism as Thailand is.

I can think of at least one place, but I'm not going to tell you, or any of the other "mice in their million hordes", about it.

"see the mice in their million hordes, from Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads"

Life on Mars, David Bowie.

This is a copy of what he said...“YeP, just yet another nail in the coffin for Thailand, no longer the ELysium it was.  Those wood stock easy days are gone forever.  I used to go to Surin because of the beauty, now I do not bother because of the same reasons.   There are fewer places in Thailand to go, and even fewer reasons to come in the first place. “

He clearly said that Thailand has gotten worse, in his opinion. Thats why i am curious to know what places he feels have never gotten worse and are actually getting better, as thailand has gotten worse in his opinion? 

37 minutes ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Buh bye.

If you wish to speak with me or quote me, could you please use English that I can understand.

Next, I have been coming and going to Thailand over 30 years. I have lived here for around 25 years now. I have been in business and also lived here on both business visas and now retirement extensions for a considerable time. I have lived in coastal areas, traveled extensively within the country, and now live in Isaarn.

Thailand has changed beyond recognition and I would now refer to the late 80s and the 90s as the good old days. It is well known among many people the place has deteriorated in terms of friendliness, cleanliness, value for money and overall enjoyment. 

I and many others have lived through military coups, Tsunamis, blood on the streets of Bangkok, airport shutdowns, increased xenophobia displayed towards us, a tightening of rules and regulations of which many are duplicated and others serve no purpose except to make us feel unwanted.

The beaches have become terrible, filthy and polluted, the massive income from tourism has not been reinvested but diverted elsewhere. Prices have rocketed and plenty of it has nothing to do with inflation.

Meanwhile, countries such as Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Bhutan, Malaysia are now providing alternative and better choices for long staying tourists and expats. Whilst offering and opening up their countries we are witnessing easy visa processes and relaxation of rules governing purchase of properties and more access to stay and work in some Asian countries except of course, Thailand.

Thailand feels it is ' better ' than its neighbors, doesn't need Western tourists as much as it used to and is focusing on the Asian market, yet dislikes other countries in the region reaching out to those very same markets.

Two of my close friends are in Phu Quoc as I speak and on my recommendation. They were big fans of Phuket and this couple do not skimp on good hotels and pampering wherever they go. They said their last trip to Phuket they felt cheated and unwanted, even by vendors they have met from previous years and people they thought were at least, holiday friends.

I have seen their posts and photos on Facebook, they also contacted me on messenger saying thank you and stating Vietnam is wonderful, they are having a great time, and it now is their first choice for future holidays. Sure, this may change as Vietnam gets busier and opens up, but you are just in denial regards Thailand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

If you wish to speak with me or quote me, could you please use English that I can understand.

Next, I have been coming and going to Thailand over 30 years. I have lived here for around 25 years now. I have been in business and also lived here on both business visas and now retirement extensions for a considerable time. I have lived in coastal areas, traveled extensively within the country, and now live in Isaarn.

Thailand has changed beyond recognition and I would now refer to the late 80s and the 90s as the good old days. It is well known among many people the place has deteriorated in terms of friendliness, cleanliness, value for money and overall enjoyment. 

I and many others have lived through military coups, Tsunamis, blood on the streets of Bangkok, airport shutdowns, increased xenophobia displayed towards us, a tightening of rules and regulations of which many are duplicated and others serve no purpose except to make us feel unwanted.

The beaches have become terrible, filthy and polluted, the massive income from tourism has not been reinvested but diverted elsewhere. Prices have rocketed and plenty of it has nothing to do with inflation.

Meanwhile, countries such as Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Bhutan, Malaysia are now providing alternative and better choices for long staying tourists and expats. Whilst offering and opening up their countries we are witnessing easy visa processes and relaxation of rules governing purchase of properties and more access to stay and work in some Asian countries except of course, Thailand.

Thailand feels it is ' better ' than its neighbors, doesn't need Western tourists as much as it used to and is focusing on the Asian market, yet dislikes other countries in the region reaching out to those very same markets.

Two of my close friends are in Phu Quoc as I speak and on my recommendation. They were big fans of Phuket and this couple do not skimp on good hotels and pampering wherever they go. They said their last trip to Phuket they felt cheated and unwanted, even by vendors they have met from previous years and people they thought were at least, holiday friends.

I have seen their posts and photos on Facebook, they also contacted me on messenger saying thank you and stating Vietnam is wonderful, they are having a great time, and it now is their first choice for future holidays. Sure, this may change as Vietnam gets busier and opens up, but you are just in denial regards Thailand.

“Thailand has changed beyond recognition and I would now refer to the late 80s and the 90s as the good old days. It is well known among many people the place has deteriorated in terms of friendliness, cleanliness, value for moneuy and overall enjoyment.“
....The same could be said of almost anywhere on the planet.

Tell us about a place that you think is now better than how it was during the 80s or 90s?

No place is perfect. If running away to Issaan makes you feel you are somehow living better, then good luck and buh bye. 

3 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

How are those places and countries “much better” to visit?

how many do you speak for in “the community “?

Pattaya beach is the best in thailand.  Vietnam is even better.

• Haha 1