BANGKOK
Agusts

Surin beach ruined by jet ski and ugly chairs

I came back in Jan after more than half a year and found my favourite Surin beach ruined by jet ski and ugly black chairs - not beach type but those they usually use in condo balconies...!!!? 

First I thought vow, so many people on the beach, then realised they just put the chairs and parasols all along the beach empty...!??? Waiting for customers...

I mean last year they only rented parasols and beach blanket if somebody wanted,  but now it's like old Patong beach, you can't sit on your towel unless you are in front or behind these rows and rows of tall black ugly chairs...! Arrgh...

Also I think the jet skis don't have permission to come to shore, so the genius Thais have come up with solution to take customers with small inflatable motor boat to about 100m out to get on and off the jet skis...!!!??? What a mess, I don't know what is worse.... And yesterday I  saw two of them come to shore anyway, couldn't resist the quick money ... 

Then these jet ski guys don't understand the instruction not to come close to shore and people, obviously they are show offs and only reason they spend the money is to show to others,  look at me, look how cool I am...!? Not realise it just say how stupid they are, being ripped off  for polluting water with oil and gas, the air with noise and smoke, and endangering and annoying others...! One nearly run over a swimmer, because there is no swimmer area in this beach, very lucky...

The Surin tranquil beach is gone, a lot worse than last year, I  don't like a lot of regulations, but Thai greed just can't leave anything alone, and where are the authorities to stop all this...!!? Is there a complain or reporting email or website for this, let me know...

• Like 2

2 Off topic posts have been removed.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Ok. Try another beach?

Or read the travel forums before you go?

Yes, Surin is trashed but 90 % of tourists are mugs and they will continue to go there.

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Ok. Try another beach?

What can I say, one is worse than the other, at least on this one there is no parasailing or banana boats yet, but not for long I think, once the jet ski mafia moves in it means they got the police in their pocket and can do what they like...

The tourists hoards don't care what they get for a couple of weeks, is just a short holiday for them, next year they will be somewhere else, we have to tolerate it as expats and long term residents...

it's similar in Cha-am where the beach itself is within 20 meters from the road

especially on the weekend if you want to come visit and try to park on the beach some old dude or lady will come and ask for money

I was under the impression that all beaches in Thailand were properties of the king (or so I been told)

I remember one of them that was complaining one time that there was not much people anymore and that "this" was their family business..

they all have their chairs and umbrellas packed 5-6 meters of the start of the beach and charging people to sit there, if you walk along the beach another 20-25 meters then its another old lady

people have had their cars paint scratched, tires sliced and/or got attacked for parking and refusing to pay their parking fees before

particularly remember once someone was chasing the other guy with a machete across the road from where I was walking

not sure who they pay money to to be able to be the beach mafia but my assumption are as good as anyone else.

Look on the bright side. 

The jet skis disperse and aerate the raw sewage and break up the bigger turds, and the beach bed concessions usually clean the trash off the beach before they put out the chairs.

• Like 2

YeP, just yet another nail in the coffin for Thailand, no longer the ELysium it was.  Those wood stock easy days are gone forever.  I used to go to Surin because of the beauty, now I do not bother because of the same reasons.   There are fewer places in Thailand to go, and even fewer reasons to come in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

More nails in the Thai tourism coffin !  Not much room for any more nails.  I have finished with Thailand now.  From Australia there are plenty of better options e.g. Japan, China, Malaysia, Vietnam and more. Even going to Europe is only about $500 more than Thailand and much better places to visit in many countries.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, mike787 said:

YeP, just yet another nail in the coffin for Thailand, no longer the ELysium it was.  Those wood stock easy days are gone forever.  I used to go to Surin because of the beauty, now I do not bother because of the same reasons.   There are fewer places in Thailand to go, and even fewer reasons to come in the first place. 

Curious to know if you can name anywhere that has gotten better with greater reasons to visit now?

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

More nails in the Thai tourism coffin !  Not much room for any more nails.  I have finished with Thailand now.  From Australia there are plenty of better options e.g. Japan, China, Malaysia, Vietnam and more. Even going to Europe is only about $500 more than Thailand and much better places to visit in many countries.

Buh bye.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1