Will you change your behavior in anticipation of Coronavirus in Pattaya?

Jingthing

Well there are some discovered cases in Thailand already but surely there are other cases that aren't known yet.

Hopefully things don't get out of hand here, and of course if they do, we already have a preview in China of what that could mean for any area. Pattaya specifically is definitely and obviously at risk. 

As it's now "Golden Week" China even more than usual has come to us. Viruses don't respect borders. 

I see the city officials here have NOT cancelled Chinese new years public events. Hmmm. 

But even now, even with only the threat under us by now, I am wondering if people are planning to change their behavior now?

For examples:

Large public events

Avoid or not?

Shopping malls

Avoid or not?

Baht buses.

If you're on a baht bus and someone coughs or sneezes, it's too late if they're infected, you're potentially exposed.

What if a baht bus approaches and it's full of Chinese people. Would you still board? Is it racist to not board?

What if you're already on a bus and a bunch of Chinese people board? Will you get off?

Chinese people seen on the street, small numbers and large groups

Will you gingerly avoid or not?

Obviously if you see anyone coughing or sneezing it's a good to avoid regardless, but I'm talking about random Chinese people.

Masks

Do you plan on buying one of those higher end masks proactively?

The cheap cloth masks don't protect from infection. 

Even the higher ones only have an 80 percent effectiveness if used properly and at least half the people wearing them don't use them properly. 

Hand washing

Do you plan to up your hand washing game now or not?

Eating out in Chinese restaurants

This is an expansion of whether to avoid Chinese people or not. If you go to Chinese restaurants, your exposure to Chinese people is guaranteed. So why not just avoid those restaurants?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

We are not going to do our weekly shop in the Malls ,off to Sri Racha ,hopefully to keep away from the Chinese tour groups ,but lets face it ,if they have it and pass it on ,its not just Chinese will be the problem .

luckily we have a car so no Baht buses ,

could this be the "one" nature has a way of culling a species when there are to many.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am wondering if government/business here is doing even basic preparation. For example if things start to get bad, there will be a run on the higher end surgical masks that actually work. So there needs to be a massive supply available for people to buy. I can't imagine that there will be. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An issue with this new virus is that many people only get mildly ill from it or really don't notice any illness at all. Great for them but such people are often not even counted and it's now estimated each infected person infects about three others. So the public health need is to slow down that rate of new infections. 

No.  Why. Because I already have a long time ago. Must adhere to health precautions/prevention.  Must take a "Protective" role in your health if quality of life is important.  THat means, protection, wear a mask for the pollution and airborne viruses. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Have not heard of any fatalities from this virus in Thailand as yet and hope not to but 40,000 deaths each year on the roads with not much effort put into reducing the numbers has more concern for me.

I think all the reported cases so far here are people that have traveled here from China. But surely some travelers from China were presymtomatic and not noticed in any travel screening. So logically the actual number of currently infected here must be higher than any known number. So that's the potential problem here and elsewhere. Accelerated infections of new populations. 

Of course people should resist hysteria but unfortunately this is a very easily airborne transmitted virus. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I'm taking the same precautions as I do for the annual flu epidemic (which often has a higher fatality rate than this new virus) - wash hands often, don't touch mouth when travelling.  

But these new viruses will keep coming from China so long as they keep eating all the wildlife.  Let's see if the ban introduced from yesterday is enforced.

11 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Didn't you read the news ?? Prayut has it 100% under control...

Now hop on a baht bus and go get a Kung Po chicken and fried rice take away ????

Yeah just like he has the pollution under control.

Edited by tlandtday

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

' Will you change your behavior in anticipation of Coronavirus in Pattaya? '

yes ....  from now on i'm only going outside in my new suit :

Capture_suit.PNG.561f91507e517b44392c248299e46cb0.PNG

I really would like to see someone wearing this. Maybe I will.

I wonder if the cops would detain you. Would have a good excuse.

• Haha 1