Will you change your behavior in anticipation of Coronavirus in Pattaya?

Jingthing

22 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Interesting. Do you have a reference to a specific model?

The influenza viron is 80-120 nanometers (0.08 to 0.12 microns) in diameter, the chain length varies 10’s of times this diameter. 

Most masks are PM2.5 (2.5 microns) so in theory influenza can get through - it just depends to what size aerosol the virus is attached to. 

Edit: as someone else mentioned, the ‘fit and seal’ is also a factor - either way, wearing a mask will be more effective than nothing, but is not fool proof. 

If you want fool proof guarantees of not contracting a virus wear a hazmat suit, otherwise, just improve your odds of not contracting something with a face-mask if you wish. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, mike787 said:

N95 is Health care industry standard.  Google it.  Surgical masks only useful if you are infected with something already, because it does not create a barrier via a tight seal to skin.  Must FIT properly.  What does fit properly mean; ALL locations of the mask must have tight contact to skin.  No loose open areas.  You will pay a little more but it's an investment, otherwise do not bother. 

3m-disposable-respirators-8210pa2-a-64_1000.jpg

N95_Mask_Main_2048x.jpg

I just read 3M's specifications for these masks and nowhere is the word "virus" mentioned. Bacteria, yes - virus, no.

Thanks for your input, but I think I'll save my money.

• Sad 1

On 1/26/2020 at 9:08 PM, Jingthing said:

I am wondering if government/business here is doing even basic preparation. For example if things start to get bad, there will be a run on the higher end surgical masks that actually work. So there needs to be a massive supply available for people to buy. I can't imagine that there will be. 

you worry too much 555.... PM Prayut yesterday said that everything is/was under control, his statement was also confirmed by the minister of tourism whom also said for the tourists to keep spending and not to worry about anything, Thailand is a safe place 555

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

N95 is Health care industry standard.  Google it.  Surgical masks only useful if you are infected with something already, because it does not create a barrier via a tight seal to skin.  Must FIT properly.  What does fit properly mean; ALL locations of the mask must have tight contact to skin.  No loose open areas.  You will pay a little more but it's an investment, otherwise do not bother. 

Try buying either of these in Pattaya. Completely sold out everywhere.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

I just read 3M's specifications for these masks and nowhere is the word "virus" mentioned. Bacteria, yes - virus, no.

Bet the medical staff are glad their bosses don't "save money".

Call me paranoid, but I'm bunkering down, using a mask, washing my hands, cooking my food thoroughly and avoiding anywhere that Chinese people roam. 

I'm happy for you to call me paranoid, but in the slim chance that $HI@ hits the fan, the paranoid/prepared will be the survivors. 

Best case scenario, I'm not tied up in Quarantine with a monster healthcare bill and possible deportation if I do get infected. 

Some of you old boys are in a high mortality category. And if you are the first to die, you'll be famous for all the wrong reasons. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 9:04 PM, bert bloggs said:

We are not going to do our weekly shop in the Malls ,off to Sri Racha ,hopefully to keep away from the Chinese tour groups ,but lets face it ,if they have it and pass it on ,its not just Chinese will be the problem .

luckily we have a car so no Baht buses ,

could this be the "one" nature has a way of culling a species when there are to many.

Don't panic. Many people in Thailand are worrying about the coronavirus. The probability of getting infected is 1000.000 times less than to get infected by a mosquito (aedes aegypti = dengue or aedes anopheles = malaria) or to have a fatal accident. You can kiss or having sex with your partner without fear. The most important precautious action is to wash your hands very often. Hands are the most contagious parts of your body.

Why worry about the virus when you have to contend with the sidewalks in Pattaya - either way you’ll probably end up in the hospital ????????‍♂️????????????????????????
Or you could try your luck with the newly constructed “lit up” road crossings ????????‍♂️

3 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

I have worked in both US, Canada, australian hospitals, and others, N95 is the standard we use to protect against TB and all airborne viruses.  This has been in force for decades...Just google it. But as with everything in life, i believe only in informed consent...everyone needs to make their own decision between them and their god. 

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/masks-and-n95-respirators

1 hour ago, galenjones said:

Don't panic. Many people in Thailand are worrying about the coronavirus. The probability of getting infected is 1000.000 times less than to get infected by a mosquito (aedes aegypti = dengue or aedes anopheles = malaria) or to have a fatal accident. You can kiss or having sex with your partner without fear. The most important precautious action is to wash your hands very often. Hands are the most contagious parts of your body.

There is no way to figure the odds yet as we're early in this. Either it's going to spread rapidly even beyond China or the control measures will work and it will fade. We don't know yet. Yes washing hands is excellent advice but this is an airborne virus so if you're in an enclosed space it's quite infectious from not direct contact at all. 

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Dang !  What  division of  BIG PhArma should I have  bought shares in ?

What  mask? Where  mask? Insufficient  supplies???  OMG !  How  much is the new inflated  cost to  get  dubious protection????

WE are  Dooomed  I say !  Doomed!

Again .

I'd be surprised if you can easily find the N95 ones for sale now. I noticed big signs in some pharmacies today -- no have. Also in medical situations the masks are custom fitted and they're worn one time.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 9:08 PM, Jingthing said:

I am wondering if government/business here is doing even basic preparation. For example if things start to get bad, there will be a run on the higher end surgical masks that actually work. So there needs to be a massive supply available for people to buy. I can't imagine that there will be. 

You mentioned Chinese people on baht buses in Pattaya. I ride them all the time, and most of the time you never see any Chinese people on them. You'll see them on tourist buses all the time or walking in a straight line on Second Rd. Imo, you seem like a worrier. Only 8 cases so far, do you really think it's so bad? Don't forget that most of the people dying from these kind of viruses are old and/or sick people suffering from immunodeficiency. 

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You mentioned Chinese people on baht buses in Pattaya. I ride them all the time, and most of the time you never see any Chinese people on them. You'll see them on tourist buses all the time or walking in a straight line on Second Rd. Imo, you seem like a worrier. Only 8 cases so far, do you really think it's so bad? Don't forget that most of the people dying from these kind of viruses are old and/or sick people suffering from immunodeficiency. 

You must take different buses than me. Obviously big bus tour group Chinese people don't take them. Independent travelers, which has shown huge growth among Chinese, most certainly do. I'm not saying they are at Russian levels but definitely there.

I never said it was "so bad" here yet and of course I don't know if it will be controlled here or not. Neither do you. Eight cases? Seriously? You actually believe it's only eight cases? You do realize people often don't show any symptoms for a long time and they're infectious during that time? Also this is a coronavirus. The way they behave is that they mutate, either to more or less virulent. 

• Thanks 1

I think the same protocol for prevention of influenza should be practiced.

Hygene,  avoid exposures, and plan on being exposed anyway.

Eat the most nutritious foods you can,   and get plenty of rest so that your system is in good shape to handle the illness.    If you get sick,   isolate yourself from others....  

This bug is a bad one,  because even if you are not symptomatic,   you are still shedding the virus to others, so isolation protocals will be less effective and harder to pull off since many folks simply will not know they are infected and contagious.

Some say that nicotine in tobacco also knocks down the ability of Viral replication...  Who knows, Smoke em if you've got em,   just don't make a habit of it.

This is a bad deal.

Edited by samuttodd
  • Haha 1

I'm travelling from UK to Pattaya next week and the only added precautions i'm taking will be to avoid hordes of Chinese (don't care for Walking Street or shopping malls anyway!) and I've bought a couple of these which I shall use when travelling around - AND after the fingerprint scanner at the airport. 

Hand Gel.jpg

IMO the masks are useless for the reasons explained in previous posts and I believe that this 'flu is no more harmful than "regular" 'flu.

If I'm wrong...nice knowing you all. ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

I have worked in both US, Canada, australian hospitals, and others, N95 is the standard we use to protect against TB and all airborne viruses.  This has been in force for decades...Just google it. But as with everything in life, i believe only in informed consent...everyone needs to make their own decision between them and their god. 

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/masks-and-n95-respirators

Both eh? Kudos.

• Thanks 1

All of a sudden they are not concerned about the Chinese down turn.

But 20,000 visitors from Wuhan in January already have been here and Thailand is flagged as the place not to be, on world travel...

I'm out next week regardless...

My time in the land of graft and corruption is done.

(Plus the thai ex cleaning me out slightly cash wise).

• Like 1