Non-O multiple Visa in Savannakhet 2020 (based upon marriage)

Before you enter. Passport and a Lao visa, obtainable at the border. Fill in application form and hand it back with 1 passport photo and either 35 U.S dollars or 1,500 baht.

At the Consulate.

1 completed application form with 2 passport photos 3×4 centimeters attached.

Original marriage certificate.

Copy of marriage certificate, front and back, as on the original.

Your passport.

Copy of passport front page (photo page), signed by you.

Copy of wife’s house book (Tabien Bahn), signed by wife.

Copy of wife’s ID card, front and back, as on the original, signed by wife.

Visa fee, 2000 baht for single entry, 5000 baht for multiple entry.

There's no cap on 're-entry' as it is a self-sustaining multi-entry visa (does not need a separate re-entry permit) so come and go as much as you want. However, the longest you can stay on an single entry is 90-days. There are no internal extensions allowed on this, you have to leave the country and re-enter.

• Sad 1

Have things changed or not? I understood Savannakhet have been issuing a Non O 12 month multi entry visa based on marriage. (Something I have been getting for 15 years from London but now only 3 month single entry available).

But checking the Savannakhet website just now it appears they too are now only offering a Non O 3 month single entry visa too.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/savannakhet/th/services/9736/106945-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"-(For-the-purpose.html

Or am I missing something here?

Is it possible to still obtain a Non O 12 month multiple entry visa based on marriage to a Thai anywhere?

29 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Have things changed or not? I understood Savannakhet have been issuing a Non O 12 month multi entry visa based on marriage. (Something I have been getting for 15 years from London but now only 3 month single entry available).

But checking the Savannakhet website just now it appears they too are now only offering a Non O 3 month single entry visa too.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/savannakhet/th/services/9736/106945-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"-(For-the-purpose.html

Or am I missing something here?

Is it possible to still obtain a Non O 12 month multiple entry visa based on marriage to a Thai anywhere?

AFAIK, the Savanaket Consulate's website has been listing ONLY the 2000 baht 3-month single entry non-O for at least 6 months but very recent posts on this forum indicate that the 5000 baht 1-year multi-entry non-O has been acquired.

The Thai Embassy in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam has also been issuing the 12 month, multi-entry non-O for marriage without financials with latest reports also being quite recent.

However, their website indicates that the O-A is the only option for a 1-year and requires financials. There's no listing of the non-O for marriage, 3-month single OR 1-year multi.

I guess we await updates from people who have very recently managed to get a 1-year, multi-entry non-O based on marriage at either location.

Edited by NanLaew

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Before you enter. Passport and a Lao visa, obtainable at the border. Fill in application form and hand it back with 1 passport photo and either 35 U.S dollars or 1,500 baht.

At the Consulate.

Your passport.

There's no cap on 're-entry' as it is a self-sustaining multi-entry visa (does not need a separate re-entry permit) so come and go as much as you want. However, the longest you can stay on an single entry is 90-days. There are no internal extensions allowed on this, you have to leave the country and re-enter.

Incorrect you can get a 60 day extension at your local immigration office based on visiting wife.

Allowing 150 days in country

Edited by fourpack
Change days
  • Like 2

Thank for clarifying the situation NL and Ubonjoe.

That looks like the way forward for me.

Can I assume the same paperwork is required?

Completed application form

Passport

2 photos

Signed copy of marriage certificate

Signed copy of wife's ID

5,000 baht in Cash

Anything else?

Edit, just seen your reply fourpack, thank you, very helpful.

Edited by Tmoney
Crossed replies

16 minutes ago, fourpack said:

Incorrect you can get a 60 day extension at your local immigration office based on visiting wife.

I don't use this method, but my German neighbour does and he manages to get 17 months out of his 1 year visa. He does it by leaving and reentering just before the expiry date, thus gaining 3 months and then claiming a 60 day (2 month) extension at the end of that. Then it's off to Savannakhet again for another round.

He does acknowledge however that whilst convenient in one respect, he gets through passport pages like crazy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fourpack said:

Noted. Just the last paragraph is incorrect. The Lao visa and Thai Consulate requirements are correct.

So by exercising this option just before the first 90-days is up, one gets ~150 days. Repeat just before the 2nd 90-day stay is due to expire and you only have to leave Thailand twice versus 4 times during any calendar year? Good for the the less-mobile or those with budgetary constraints or if you just plain hate airports.

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Noted. Just the last paragraph is incorrect. The Lao visa and Thai Consulate requirements are correct.

So by exercising this option just before the first 90-days is up, one gets ~150 days. Repeat just before the 2nd 90-day stay is due to expire and you only have to leave Thailand twice versus 4 times during any calendar year? Good for the the less-mobile or those with budgetary constraints or if you just plain hate airports.

You can stay for almost 17 months doing only 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extension before having to apply for a new Visa.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You can stay for almost 17 months doing only 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extension before having to apply for a new Visa.

Sounds like a sound plan for when I finally decide to quit being the big rich oil and gas man unaccountable, rich, white, northern European, heterosexual, male, fossil-fuel seeking Mother Earth rapist.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The Thai Embassy in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam has also been issuing the 12 month, multi-entry non-O for marriage without financials with latest reports also being quite recent.

However, their website indicates that the O-A is the only option for a 1-year and requires financials. There's no listing of the non-O for marriage, 3-month single OR 1-year multi.

Not so (marriage) as of just now:

5. VALIDITY OF A VISA / THỜI HẠN CỦA THỊ THỰC

The validity of a visa is 3 months for Single Entry Visa and 1 year for Multiple Entries Visa.

see:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2886/46902-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"---Accompanying-Th.html

(HCMC is a consulate not an embassy).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

HCMC Vietnam,

It's there, just a bit hard to find from the badly translated menus. (link as suggested in previous post)

Also listed on the notice board outside their door (photo taken earlier this month)

IMG_20200106_080857.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

3 hours ago, spinner2020 said:

Not so (marriage) as of just now:

5. VALIDITY OF A VISA / THỜI HẠN CỦA THỊ THỰC

The validity of a visa is 3 months for Single Entry Visa and 1 year for Multiple Entries Visa.

see:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2886/46902-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"---Accompanying-Th.html

(HCMC is a consulate not an embassy).

Different links bring up different results on the same website so thanks for the correction.

Anyway, ubonjoe has confirmed that nothing has changed and if he says that's the case, then I'm happy.

As for embassy versus consulate, there's always room for one more pedant.

• Like 1

just a note of interest,i recently got my non o multi,based on being pensioner from uk.no problem. but a note to the wise they were asking guys where their wives were. even had the cheek to ask me. but yes serious guys in front were being asked where wife was or sponcer.,this was 14th january.

6 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Quite, but the 3rd border run must be within the calendar year, and not just twice as in another post.

Day 90  - 1st 60 day
Day 150 - 1st border run
Day 240 - 2nd 60 day
Day 300 - 2nd border run
Day 364 - 3rd border run
Day 454 - 3rd 60 day
Day 514 - New visa required.

40 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite, but the 3rd border run must be within the calendar year, and not just twice as in another post.

Day 90  - 1st 60 day
Day 150 - 1st border run
Day 240 - 2nd 60 day
Day 300 - 2nd border run
Day 364 - 3rd border run
Day 454 - 3rd 60 day

That's excellent! Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Day 90  - 1st 60 day
Day 150 - 1st border run
Day 240 - 2nd 60 day
Day 300 - 2nd border run
Day 364 - 3rd border run
Day 454 - 3rd 60 day

Just curious and I am sure others would appreciate knowing just how much this method actually costs ? 

Cost of initial Multi visa, extensions, border runs etc what would that cost over the total period ? 

On 1/26/2020 at 11:20 PM, NanLaew said:

At the Consulate.

Your passport.

Can you get a 1 year extn from your local IO before the Savan Non O based on marriage expires using money in the bank or monthly income, 400000/40000 baht?

2 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

There are no internal extensions allowed on this, you have to leave the country and re-enter.

False.

3 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Can you get a 1 year extn from your local IO before the Savan Non O based on marriage expires using money in the bank or monthly income, 400000/40000 baht?

You can apply at any immigration office inside Thailand for a marriage or retirement extension on any of the 90 day entries as long as you have at least 15 days remaining on that 90 day period.

14 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Yes but if that's your plan just get a 90 day single entry NON o and apply for the extension Twds the end of that. 

14 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

You do not have to wait for your visa to expire since your are extending a 90 day permit to stay from the visa. You can apply for one year extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from the visa.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not have to wait for your visa to expire since your are extending a 90 day permit to stay from the visa. You can apply for one year extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from the visa.

Many thanks for the replies. 

On 1/27/2020 at 7:32 PM, CharlieH said:

Just curious and I am sure others would appreciate knowing just how much this method actually costs ? 

Cost of initial Multi visa, extensions, border runs etc what would that cost over the total period ? 

You could also ask how long is a piece of string. It is not really about cost but what is appropriate in the circumstances. I couldn't renew my extension so it was a question of how to deal with that.

It cost me about 20K to go to Vietnam and get the visa, including the visa fee, but my wife and I had six days in HCMC, so how much did the visa cost over and above the 200 USD.

I will be going to the UK in May and again in August, trips I would have made even if still on extension, so effectively 2 free border runs.

The real question is what to do at the end of the visa, I may well try to get a 12 month marriage extension based on income. My income hasn't changed since I got my pension in 2012 and was on income based extensions for many years but it has now become quite difficult and the Multi non O may be a necessity.

• 2 months later...

Hello, 

I am due in May to go to Savannakhet to get a new Non-O multiple entry marriage visa (without the bank statements). 

With the Corona-virus, am I still able to do this?

If not, what do I do? 

Many thanks in advance for replies.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:40 AM, sandyf said:

Day 90  - 1st 60 day
Day 150 - 1st border run
Day 240 - 2nd 60 day
Day 300 - 2nd border run
Day 364 - 3rd border run
Day 454 - 3rd 60 day

I thought the 2 border-runs per calendar year are only applicable for VisaExempt entries.

So you can have as many entries as you want when entering on a valid 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa.

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

I thought the 2 border-runs per calendar year are only applicable for VisaExempt entries.

So you can have as many entries as you want when entering on a valid 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa.

Correct

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said: