Thai girl arrested while on Tinder date at Wat Pho.

Seth1a2a

563000000609001-800x445.jpg.19dbe2a0213965677762b5fe2a34d6ed.jpg

Seems like a nice safe way for a nice girl to have a nice afternoon with a new friend. Unfortunately, it's illegal.

"A Thai girl was arrested while she was hanging out with a foreign boy at Wat Pho, Bangkok. The couple met on Tinder, the world-famous dating application. While they were exploring the temple she gave him information on interesting facts of the temple, they were both shocked when the girl got arrested with charges of being an illegal tour guide. She ended up paying a 2,000 THB fine."

http://thairesidents.com/local/thai-girl-arrested-tinder-date-wat-pho/?fbclid=IwAR3JcZIqDHtqqxv-wgenmTgzqi-CLp3vvjxG4y2nwyXCivDjiTSe454qlEE

Edited by Seth1a2a
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

My original gf who literally introduced me to Thailand many years ago, many locations, many sights would not be subject to a 2,000 baht fine!

Her fine would be more like 20,000 or maybe even 200,000.

This is a ridiculous story, almost impossible to believe.

Thus, I give credit to @impulse and his theory in post #11. There must be some other explanation beyond enforcing the laws of Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, impulse said:

My (admittedly wingnut) theory:  She and the cop were in on it, and the dupe was the foreign guy.  Being a nice guy or hoping for some luvin' (or both), he paid the fine for her.  She and the cop shared the 2000 baht...

And, no.  I have absolutely no proof.  But it's not that kind of thread.

Your "wingnut" theory makes the most sense.  There is no way that simply giving information to a foreign friend can be illegal.  It happens all the time in Thailand, every freakin day.  The foreign guy must be FOB....fresh-off-the-boat, to buy into any of it.  Unless of course, his only thought the entire time was to get into her pants and anything else is just the cost of doing business.  I can understand that.  

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This theory doesn't make sense, because then she would not have posted it on Facebook

Yes, good point and I thought about that.  There must be a logical explanation....maybe the friend is trying to get Twitter exposure.  Who knows.

But the premise just makes no sense.  If it were true, it would mean that a foreign expat, taking a foreign friend to one of these attractions would also be violating the law by working without a work permit.  Does that make sense?

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Yes, good point and I thought about that.  There must be a logical explanation....maybe the friend is trying to get Twitter exposure.  Who knows.

But the premise just makes no sense.  If it were true, it would mean that a foreign expat, taking a foreign friend to one of these attractions would also be violating the law by working without a work permit.  Does that make sense?

Don't forget that what we read here is her side of the story.

Did the cop demand 2000THB? As we all know that's totally possible.

But a completely innocent Thai person would not hand over 2000THB, which is a weeks salary for many, just because a cop demands it.

Most likely the cop saw the girl several times with different foreigners, which means that it's quite probable she did indeed work as a tour guide. Then he confronted her with this, and because she knew she isn't innocent she agreed to pay on the spot.

Then on Facebook she is acting innocent and puts herself as the victim.

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

Don't forget that what we read here is her side of the story.

Did the cop demand 2000THB? As we all know that's totally possible.

But a completely innocent Thai person would not hand over 2000THB, which is a weeks salary for many, just because a cop demands it.

Most likely the cop saw the girl several times with different foreigners, which means that it's quite probable she did indeed work as a tour guide. Then he confronted her with this, and because she knew she isn't innocent she agreed to pay on the spot.

Then on Facebook she is acting innocent and puts herself as the victim.

Or 100's of other fanciful explanations conjured up with zero facts.

15 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Is this the same story which was on TVF a few days ago ?

yeah... I thinkl at that time (a few weeks ago), I brought up as to what happens if a fella bar fines a girly, and she takes him around...