BANGKOK
webfact

Meeting to discuss evacuation of Thais stranded in Wuhan

I won't be going to Wuhan anytime soon, Christ I couldn't even imagine working with Chinese....

• Sad 2

the us has about 1000 citizens in wuhan (diplo, business, teachers) and is planning to provide one flight out.

aircraft will have room for about 250 passengers.  diplomatic staff will have priority and fly free of charge, with remaining seats (if any) sold to other citizens, possible other foreign nationals.  i've read the cost to 'others' will be 4-5x the normal ticket price to the us.

have also read the flight would not be direct, but would stop at one of our numerous bases for quarantine first. 

Edited by ChouDoufu

14 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

So far reported that the US, France and Japan are doing so. Aussies also considering it, while the UK has told citizens to leave without explaining how as yet.

I don't know about the other countries but i can say for mine

it's simply not true.

France has proposed to evacuate the Frenchs from the city of Wuhan

and regroup them in a location outside of the city  (Around 100 kms from here)

where they need to stay in quarantine. This option has been elaborated

in accordance with the chinese authorities and the medicals authorities actualy

in charge of the situation in the Hubei province.

Most of the french have refused this option and they prefer to stay in their actual place

even if the food supply start to be a real problem.

An evacuation from Wuhan to France is not possible at the moment

and it's not an option.

Edited by kingofthemountain

14 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I don't know about the other countries but i can say for mine

it's simply not true.

France has proposed to evacuate the Frenchs from the city of Wuhan

and regroup them in a location outside of the city  (Around 100 kms from here)

where they need to stay in quarantine.

The report linked below suggests that is the case for one company but quotes the Health Minister as saying French citizens will be repatriated "directly to France."
French citizens in coronavirus-hit Wuhan 'to be evacuated by airplane'

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

aircraft will have room for about 250 passengers.  diplomatic staff will have priority and fly free of charge, with remaining seats (if any) sold to other citizens, possible other foreign nationals.  i've read the cost to 'others' will be 4-5x the normal ticket price to the us.

U.S. Sets Evacuation Plan From Coronavirus-Infected Wuhan

Wall Street Journal -- Updated Jan. 26, 2020 6:07 am ET

According to an evacuee manifest and promissory note posted to its website, the State Department asks any participants in a government-arranged evacuation to provide basic identification information and to sign an agreement promising to repay the State Department for all expenses included in the evacuation within 30 days.

That includes the cost of an air ticket, whose price shouldn’t exceed the cost of a full-fare economy ticket.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/state-department-confirms-evacuation-flight-from-wuhan-11580012055

10 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

The report linked below suggests that is the case for one company but quotes the Health Minister as saying French citizens will be repatriated "directly to France."
French citizens in coronavirus-hit Wuhan 'to be evacuated by airplane'

Thank you for the link

i wasn't aware of this decision

imo it's a stupid one, putting a lot more of people in danger

but coming from the french goverment, and particularly the actual health minister

i am not very surprised

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

With the City of Wuhan, and many others "Locked Down " there will be little or no way that any people will be able to leave.

Why are the Thai Authorities wasting time on this issue ?, when there are more important things that need attending to with regard to the potential spread of this Virus.

people will only be allowed to be repatriated from Wuhan when the Virus has been eradicated fully

I really can't agree with you. I believe it is the duty of the Thai government to tend to its citizens, the same applies to all governments. In this particular case, although I don't know how the Thai government can get them out, there must be a way. Thereafter, to protect the people here, the Thais brought in from Wuhan should be held in quarantine for the period of incubation of the virus.

59 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

Yes, I've seen that elsewhere. Personally, it makes me angry. As one of the functions of embassies is to protect the interests of American citizens, it is citizens who should have a priority in any evacuation. And if the diplomats aren't paying, then why are the citizens? Here we have embassy people who can't wait to bug out and leave American citizens, who pay their salaries, caught in the vortex. I'm about fed up with embassies and their staff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Why all the criticism of the Thais when it's what a lot of other countries are doing?

Yes you are right Australia is trying to bring home about 100 children stuck in Wuhan.

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

You'd rather they get left there? What makes you think it puts more people in danger; evacuate them, keep an eye on them until incubation period is over, if anyone has it give them the best medical treatment possible. Given the numbers in China and reports of their hospitals being overwhelmed certainly going to get better treatment in their home countries.

Australia has confirmed more than 100 kids in the locked down area, how would that look if some of them died and our government hadn't at least tried to get them out. 

Ok, take some hundreds of people out of a not very well know virus contamined zone

put them in a plane (I wonder if you are volunteer to be in the crew?) then land in another

place and disembark all the people in a special place again with special teams and a total

huge cost for all the operation, For what? Just to feel the homeland under the feet? Bright.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

Christ I couldn't even imagine working with Chinese....

Why, read a lot of negativity about them? I worked with them for five years, great people, heavily indoctrinated, but like most humans good decent people!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Ok, take some hundreds of people out of a not very well know virus contamined zone

It's not deepest darkest Amazon jungle; please stop spouting <deleted>.

10 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

put them in a plane (I wonder if you are volunteer to be in the crew?)

Would be more than happy to if qualified. Not everyone falls for the hysteria and panic and some, such as the divers to get the kids out of the cave or the fiefighters all around Australia, do actually have community spirit and want to help others regardless of the risks.

12 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

then land in another place and disembark all the people in a special place again with special teams and a total

huge cost for all the operation

Drama queen much. What "special" requirements required? Quick check on the flight and send them home as per the thousands that arrive daily.

18 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

For what? Just to feel the homeland under the feet?

Because they are our citizens and don't deserve to get locked up in a foreign country (regardless that no doubt the majority will have Chinese ethnicity) where things can go to <deleted> depending on the length of the lockdown and outbreak.

21 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Bright

No I don't think you are.

23 minutes ago, Salerno said:

It's not deepest darkest Amazon jungle; please stop spouting <deleted>.

Would be more than happy to if qualified. Not everyone falls for the hysteria and panic and some, such as the divers to get the kids out of the cave or the fiefighters all around Australia, do actually have community spirit and want to help others regardless of the risks.

Drama queen much. What "special" requirements required? Quick check on the flight and send them home as per the thousands that arrive daily.

Because they are our citizens and don't deserve to get locked up in a foreign country (regardless that no doubt the majority will have Chinese ethnicity) where things can go to <deleted> depending on the length of the lockdown and outbreak.

No I don't think you are.

Obviously you don't understand what i have writed.

You don't understand aswell how the virus works and how to work with this virus.

No problem, i don't want to argue with you, we start from too far and it seems to be a hard task to take one after one every of your points and inform you about the reality

so just wait some days\weeks and then we can see who was right about the good thing to do.

By chance you are not in charge at any level in this crisis

it's at least a positive side.

have a nice day

Edited by kingofthemountain