Wuhan virus expected to hit Thai and Asian tourism hard

webfact

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

The Thai people and the businesses like local transportation, hotels, restaurants and malls need to take control in hand and put up disclaimers no Chinese allowed. Leave it up to these Honest elected politicians and their cronies at the helm and it like booking a ticket on the Titanic. 

What about all the Thai-Chinese who owns Thailand?

So blatantly obvious from his talk if I didnt miss many words that the main concern  was tourist money.   And all these positive forecasts  of tourist numbers and dollars.  Not much concern  about the health of Thais . 

I think they better start talking about possible negative tourist numbers

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The beach resort is a family friendly place, right on the coast of the Red Sea, resort is made up of single chalet type villas, built in restaurants, bars & buffets are within the facility, breakfast, lunch dinner are inclusive of your package price, all you pay for are drinks, pick-up drop-off from the airport is free from the resort.
The facility has full time play areas for children, creches for kids, swimming pools for all ages [all with supervision at all times].

Easy 5 minutes walk to the beach front [no charge for loungers etc] no hawkers or vendors to spoil your day.

Water is clean, air is breathable, everything is kept spotlessly clean.... 

How does that sound... 

Yes they do have occasional trouble with terrorists, as seen in the past but not in this location... 

In Egypt tourists are dying of eating from the all-inclusive buffets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is another nail in the coffin for sure.

TAT had better change strategies if they want to remain employed.

Easy take the nail out of the coffin by weakening the baht and get the other lost tourists back who are looking for some value for money

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xonax said:

I have decided that it´s better to be safe than sorry.  So I stay away from all areas, where there might be any Chinese tourists.

About to say the same.  Sundays we go to the night bazzar here , a lot of signs are in chinese , don't know where the chinese come from as 30 k from Chiang Rai but the wife decided last night that she didn't want to eat with bus loads of chinese arriving.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

Well , I read somewhere today that the market in Wuhan that is in the center of the Virus outbreak , offered enough live animals to fill a zoo , including civets, rats, snakes, giant salamanders and live wolf pups.

It is what they call the ' bushmeat trade ' plus broader human encroachment on wild habitats , that caused this virus to spread over to humans . Even in China , that ' bushmeat trade ' is illegal . But they still do it ...

That seems to be a lesson taught to humans by nature ... hope they learn from it ...?

It is a lesson for the Chinese to learn but being as friendly as they are their letting their Western friends in on it too! 

14 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

I just had a terrifying thought!  What if this has been engineered by the UN!!!   They do have a  strategy for population reduction.   I honestly thought their plan would start in Africa and South America....

They are using China as a test run. The South Americans got wind of it, hence the mass exodus to the USA. The Africans cut themselves a deal and agreed to settle for Malaria and T.B. for the time being. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

It is a lesson for the Chinese to learn but being as friendly as they are their letting their Western friends in on it too! 

unfortunately for the rest of the world, Chinese never learn or don't want to learn anything from anybody.... any normal country with a smart government would have learned fro the 2003 SARS epidemic, China didn't and they will not learn anything from this one either, let's wait until the next one comes and we will see nothing was learned

Thailand made a conscious decision to go flat out, and nurture the Chinese Tourist market for the potentially lucrative money that would flow into the coffers of the Country and a few rich Business people.

Well, they have been very successful in that endeavour, but along with the Yuan came the potential risk for mass infections from Disease, as China is a Country where Hygiene and Sanitation  are not a given thing, even in the Tier 1  cities.

China has shown its potential for these Viral Outbreaks on more than one occasion ( SARS 2003 ) Etc Etc Etc.

Well, I guess its time to " Suck it up " and deal with the aftermath of decisions that were made years ago, and to carry on courting the Chinese Yuan will only bring more Disease and Viral Infections to the Borders of Thailand. Of that fact you can be 200% sure, as the Chinese will not change their unhealthy living style, and will thus create even more of these Infections to deal with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1