Wuhan virus expected to hit Thai and Asian tourism hard

webfact

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

Tourist minister just back from Uruguay. All sorted. They will be the next super rich, saving the tourist industry. Who needs the Chinese with their 1.4 billion people and the overpopulated Indians.

All will be fine.

Population of Uruguay is only 3.5 million hardly set the world on fire, more people in Phuket

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

the Wuhan virus may cost Thai and Asian tourism industries Bt100 billion in lost income, an economist has warned.

They don’t mind the cost of lifes? Bah! 

Do you understand what an economist does?

Might as well go into a bakery and complain that the baker isn't saving lives like the doctors at the hospital.

• Like 1

Having lived in Wuhan for over 2 years and experienced their "Hospital" with melamine induced kidney stones in 2009ish I would expect any tincture or cure to involve morphine

Dirty polluted <deleted> hole with and open sewer called the Yangtze river

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Estimates of 250k-500k die each year from the flu globally perhaps we should have a global shut down until we stamp out flu deaths. 

*bangs head against wall*

The Chinese government does not lock down entire cities because of flu. Flu is not deadly to 99.9% of the world's population and if you can't survive the common flu then unfortunately it's just nature at work. 

Edited by thisisrascal

On 1/27/2020 at 8:34 AM, hotchilli said:

A friend of mine who lives in Germany who has a Thai wife and child have cancelled plans for a visit this year in early March, citing 3 main issues:

#1 Currency exchange rate
#2 PM2.5 and other pollution concerns
#3 New coronavirus outbreak

He has now booked Egypt for 3 weeks fully inclusive for half the price of coming here... including flights.

That will be a thing of importance!

I am working in tourism since the mid- 90's and I was doing so during SARS!

One week, people were screaming at me on the phone, if I want to put them on deathrow, because all touroperators (at first) did not cancel Asian- holidays for free!

A few weeks later, Singapore Airlines came out with their special (if I remember correctly: flight and 2 nights at a 3*** hotel in SIN for 299 Euros) and people started booking like crazy, again!

Fear often depends on the price!

18 hours ago, snatur said:

Compliment!!! Exactly what I think. Almost nobody like to believe this. But in case of some elite on the top, they still going on to reduce the mankind on this plan, in this case more then 80%. So what you think should be more true then others like to accept!

Is that you, Alex Jones?

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2020 at 9:21 AM, saggicool said:

human are too greedy , they eat wild animals not for survival but for pleasure ..! now other inocent people also infected..  hope those who catches and trade on those wild animals and dogs that kept in tight cages etc , handlers , slaughter and smuggler , get the 1st hand taste of the virus themselves..

Quoted :"innocent wild animals , torture them by putting them in small cages and slaughter them in front of the' customers ' . DESERVED !"

Check out the Extreme Animals Market in Indonesia as seen on CGTN.

Another link of interest below on the reported source of the virus, the fish market:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0iKC7VP4oE

15 hours ago, macaroni100 said:

we are considering cancelling our trip on the weekend from Europe to BKK then out to Islands because of this issue..... its hard to tell what to do because of the total lack of clarity.... aren't you residents a little worried? 

We have an average of 50 people killed every day in traffic!

And 8 reported cases of Corona, nationwide!

I am not packing my bags just yet!

2 hours ago, thisisrascal said:

*bangs head against wall*

The Chinese government does not lock down entire cities because of flu. Flu is not deadly to 99.9% of the world's population and if you can't survive the common flu then unfortunately it's just nature at work. 

Are you seriously suggesting that the corona virus is "deadly to 99,99% of the world's population"? Because the current numbers seem to hover around 5%.

26 minutes ago, Myran said:

Because the current numbers seem to hover around 5%.

There's currently no way to get any real numbers for mortality, for those we will have to wait for weeks.

The only figures, and they come from China so a truckload of salt should be taken with them, are the ones reported by Dingxiangyuan that aggregates Chinese sources and is the source for John Hopkins University's dashboard:

Capture.JPG.8e1c05ca7772599fab41678c63b77203.JPG

Which says 170 of those diagnosed with the virus have either died or recovered, the rest ( 4,304 cases at the moment ) are still on their way to one of those boxes. So 62.9% of known outcomes resulted in death. It seems to take 1-2 weeks after diagnosis to get the end result, so we'll just have to wait and see which way it tips.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Edited by DrTuner

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

There's currently no way to get any real numbers for mortality, for those we will have to wait for weeks.

The only figures, and they come from China so a truckload of salt should be taken with them, are the ones reported by Dingxiangyuan that aggregates Chinese sources and is the source for John Hopkins University's dashboard:

Capture.JPG.8e1c05ca7772599fab41678c63b77203.JPG

Which says 170 of those diagnosed with the virus have either died or recovered, the rest ( 4,304 cases at the moment ) are still on their way to one of those boxes. So 62.9% of known outcomes resulted in death. It seems to take 1-2 weeks after diagnosis to get the end result, so we'll just have to wait and see which way it tips.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The point was that it's nowhere near 99.9%

On 1/27/2020 at 7:34 AM, Somtamnication said:

The Thais have no clue what is about to happen. The Chinese are furiously deleting social media videos that show a pandemic. Expect more robberies and assaults, people. Same same during the SARS issue 17 years back.

You mean robberies and assaults in Thailand? 

4 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

We have an average of 50 people killed every day in traffic!

And 8 reported cases of Corona, nationwide!

I am not packing my bags just yet!

Just remember not to raise your eyebrows, hehehe, Thailand is so funny ????