Basketball star Kobe Bryant, four others dead in helicopter crash

webfact

Basketball star Kobe Bryant, four others dead in helicopter crash

By Daniel Trotta

2020-01-26T215857Z_1_LYNXMPEG0P0WN_RTROPTP_4_PEOPLE-KOBE-BRYANT.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Jul 27, 2019; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Kobe Bryant is pictured with his daughter Gianna at the WNBA All Star Game at Mandalay Bay Events Center. Mandatory Credit: Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports/File Photo

(Reuters) - Kobe Bryant, who won five NBA championships with the Los Angeles Lakers and was considered one of basketball's all-time greats, was killed in a helicopter crash in California on Sunday morning, officials said. He was 41.

Four other people died in the crash in a remote field around 10 a.m. (1800 GMT) about 40 miles (65 km) northwest of central Los Angeles, the city of Calabasas said on Twitter.

There were no survivors. Several major U.S. media outlets reported that Bryant's 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, was also on the helicopter. A teammate from Bryant's daughter's basketball team, a parent of the teammate, and the pilot were also killed, NBC News reported.

"This is a moment that leaves us struggling to find words that express the magnitude of shock and sorrow we are all feeling right now, and I am keeping Kobe's entire family in my prayers at this time of unimaginable grief," Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said in a statement.

Shocked fans gathered outside the Staples Center arena in Los Angeles around a wreath with a message: "Kobe we love you RIP." Some in the crowd dabbed tears as others laid flowers and basketball sneakers at the wreath.

First responders put out the flames at the crash site, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department said, posting a picture of a fire truck and smoke emerging from the brush in a ravine.

Bryant had been known to use a helicopter for travel since his days as a player for the Los Angeles Lakers, when he commuted to games in a Sikorsky S-76 chopper, the celebrity news website TMZ said.

The Federal Aviation Administration identified the crashed helicopter as a Sikorsky S-76, saying in a statement that the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board would investigate.

18-TIME ALL-STAR

Bryant played all 20 of his National Basketball Association seasons with the Lakers, winning five championships and being named an all-star 18 times.

He was the third-leading scorer in league history with 33,643 points, until LeBron James passed him on Saturday.

Nicknamed the Black Mamba, he became eligible to enter the Hall of Fame this year and is certain to be selected when the 2020 class is enshrined.

Bryant and his wife, Vanessa, had four daughters: Gianna, Natalia, Bianca and Capri, who was born in June 2019.

Bryant's star power translated into the entertainment world as he mingled with show-business stars in Los Angeles.

In 2018, he won an Oscar for his animated short film "Dear Basketball."

But he was also accused of sexual assault in 2003 by an employee at a Colorado hotel, tarnishing his reputation and leading to a media storm to cover his trial.

Bryant denied the allegations and charges eventually were dropped after the woman refused to testify.

Bryant and his wife filed for divorce in 2011 after 10 years of marriage, but the couple said in 2013 they had reconciled.

Bryant's father, Joe "Jellybean" Bryant, also played in the NBA, and Kobe demonstrated from an early age he would surpass his father's accomplishments.

The Philadelphia native went straight from high school to the NBA, skipping the college ranks. Since he was still only 17 years old, his parents needed to co-sign his first contract with the Lakers and he played his first game with the team shortly after turning 18 in 1996.

He also won two Olympic gold medals, part of the U.S. team in 2008 and 2012.

He retired after the 2015-2016 NBA season because of mounting injuries. In recent years, he had focused his attention on philanthropy and business ventures.

(Reporting by Daniel Trotta in New York, Mekhla Raina in Bengaluru, Daniel Trotta, Andrew Both in Cary, North Carolina and Rory Carroll in Los Angeles; Editing by Lisa Shumaker and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-01-27
  • Sad 1

Two young girls if I read this right.

Condolences to all in his vast family and social circle.

Being poor like me has its advantages. It keeps me out of those contraptions.

Never have and never will !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

So sad...RIP

I find myself thinking about the tragedy of it all, then I think that these are people who had it good, lived a good life, then I think about other people in the world, living in and knowing nothing but the most crushing poverty and desperation, and wonder where are the tears and recriminations for them when they, too, unfairly die prematurely. Very confusing. I think about myself, nobody special, and wonder why I'm alive to celebrate my 66th today.

The pilot didn't want to die he was simply "at work"

3 hours ago, jb61 said:

here is an estimate of the incidence of death among people now living in the world: 1.78 deaths per second, 107 deaths per minute, 6,390 deaths per hour, 153,000 deaths per day.

So 152,999 other people also died today. Funny they weren't mentioned in the news. 

So what you're saying is if anyone dies, no need to mention on the news because so many others also died....?  Some peoples' brains work in mysterious ways. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

he could have easily afforded huge beast of a SUV like most others drive in L.A. now.  a helicopter, <deleted>?  nasty things.  your Ego can get you killed

Do you have any idea of what LA traffic is like? I would use a helicopter if I could afford one there. It is the most intelligent and efficient form of transportation there is, in a city like LA or Bangkok. Are you kidding me? Another monster SUV on the road? The traffic in LA has been getting worse by the year. Rush hour is now 6:30am to 10am, and 3pm to 9pm. I drive there alot. It is inane how bad traffic is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And let us never forget this episode, after he was busted in Denver. Bryant broke the man code violation. Bryant broke it in 2003, when, as he was being investigated by police during a rape allegation, he amazingly said he should do as Shaquille O’Neal had done and “pay off” the woman bringing charges. Men in general, black men in particular, took Bryant’s breaking of the code as an unforgivable breach.

I do too. It was a huge mistake. You just do not call out a teammate. You take it like a man. He may have been a great player. But, as i said before, he was a very unimpressive man, and not much in the way of a quality human being. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm getting a bad feeling about this from the Aviate, Navigate, Communicate priorities aspect.

An LA Times article stated that the LAPD decided not to fly their choppers that morning as did the LA County Sheriff's Department - both due to substandard flying conditions. Juan Browne (YouTube blancoliero) has something to say about this, below.

ATC/Helo Communication:

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And let us never forget this episode, after he was busted in Denver. Bryant broke the man code violation. Bryant broke it in 2003, when, as he was being investigated by police during a rape allegation, he amazingly said he should do as Shaquille O’Neal had done and “pay off” the woman bringing charges. Men in general, black men in particular, took Bryant’s breaking of the code as an unforgivable breach.

I do too. It was a huge mistake. You just do not call out a teammate. You take it like a man. He may have been a great player. But, as i said before, he was a very unimpressive man, and not much in the way of a quality human being. 

Gosh, you really are the master of timing....the paragon of virtue...the grand wizard of living a perfect life...let me know if any more illustrious titles need to be added to your resume. All human beings have flaws...even those who live in the Vatican.....your comments are completely out of place at a time of deep sorrow for many.

A few things happened after this event that make you wonder how people are wired these days.

1. A WAPO journalist decided to re-run a story about Kobe's rape case.

2. Trump tweets condolences and the crazies tweeted back saying they wished

he was on the helicopter.

3. And the crowning achievement from MSNBC....

Edited by JHolmesJr
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Nah. Actually, if anything I think people need to be reminded of his many misdeeds, and his incredible shortcomings, as a man. When someone buys the farm, there is a tendency to forget all that, and just pile on the adulations. He is deserving of the many adulations, as a player. But, he was not much of a man. I will double down on that one. 

Flaws? I think what he committed, and got away with was way, way beyond a flaw. Feel free to PM me if you want details, from a first hand source that I had dinner with, just a few weeks after his arrest.

Take a page out of your leader Obama's book....his tweet yesterday was on point without

trying to attack a guy who's gone. 

13 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Take a page out of your leader Obama's book....his tweet yesterday was on point without

trying to attack a guy who's gone. 

Just because someone dies does not exonerate or excuse them from being the a-holes they were, nor their misdeeds. Does not erase their past, nor forgive it. Bryant deserves any criticism he gets as a person...as well as praise as a (ball hog and selfish) player. 

• Like 1