BANGKOK
petedk

Caught Taxi driver cheating

Every Sunday morning I take the same taxi journey from my home to a place of work. The fare is from 65 to 75 baht depending on the traffic. I think the highest it has been is about 80 Baht when there was a very bad traffice jam.

Yesterday the traffic was very light and when I was about halfway I noticed that the fare was already 65 Baht. We were driving along a long straight road and I noticed the meter at that point was clicking every 3 or 4 seconds. I mentioned it to the driver and he grunted something or other to me. We stopped and it was already at 99 Baht. 

I asked him (in Thai) if there was something wrong the meter as I saw it increasing so quickly. He snapped back at me that "technical problem" and said very quickly "Ok 60 Baht".

I gave him the 60 baht and there were three Thai people waiting to get in. He just sped off and refused to take them.

I know I should have filmed the meter, but the whole thing from when I noticed the meter to when I got out happened so fast. I managed to get a photo of his number and thought about reporting him, but without proof I guess it is pointless.

I am only glad that I speak Thai and didn't have problems with him.

I have lived here 20 years and never had serious problems with taxi drivers, but from now on I will have my mobile ready should anything happen again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, petedk said:

but from now on I will have my mobile ready should anything happen again.

hmmmm .....  good luck with that one

8 minutes ago, petedk said:

I am only glad that I speak Thai and didn't have problems with him.

Yes, one (of many) good reasons to learn some Thai if one lives in Thailand.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

You should still report it.

waste of time if he doesn't have plate number or driver reg name or no.

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

All that is required is what he has and the taxi can be called in to check - a very small number have tampered meters to allow such but normally they activate on bumps and not smooth highway - so indeed there may have been something wrong with the meter and why he did not pick up other pax.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, steven100 said:

"I managed to get a photo of his number"

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

He said he got a photo of his number.

"I managed to get a photo of his number "

sorry, i didn't read the whole story ... my bad.

• Thanks 1

In my time I have had about 6-7 meters spinning wild from both airports and told them in Thai that their meter is going too fast and I know why. They always switch it off after but become grumpy as heck.. 

• Like 1

This happens often especially here in Asia. I never forget a ride in Hanoi. The meter jumped like crazy and I told him to stop the car immediately. I got out and didn't pay. He threw stones after me and shouted things I was happy not to understand. 

I finally got a motorbike i hate dealing with them so much. Cant say driving a motorbike is the perfect solution either. 

• Like 1