Coronavirus and N95 Facemasks -- Will they help?

TallGuyJohninBKK

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Plus, the air outside is bad again today in terms of PM2.5 air pollution, so that's another reason to be wearing a N95 mask these days, even if the coronavirus wasn't a concern.

Maybe we should stop with the overbidding in the do's and don'ts.
In your place, but I'm not there, fortunately, I would put myself a bullet in the head immediately ...
Our organism is gradually getting used to .. getting mithridized;
I am convinced that an inhabitant of the earth reborn from the 18 * century would be immediately poisoned if he came to the idea of eating what we eat in 2020 ...

In the middle of the 18th century, half of the children died before the age of 10 and life expectancy did not exceed 25 years.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The reason I created this thread was to

There are already many (too many) posts on this subject;
and this one seems to me to be redundant with a few others;
we will have the same good and bad answers as on the others. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But that's a bit different from unsourced, unsubstantiated opinions.

Does that type of source suit you?

But maybe what a Harvard epidemiologist writes is not enough credible? 

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/thermonuclear-pandemic-level-bad-harvard-epidemiologist-warns-viral-outbreak-might-get

For the next few weeks I'll be wearing a glove when out and about, and getting into the habit of using the back of my hand when touching my face. I'll carry sunglasses and a mask in my bag, just in case I find myself in a crowded environment. I'll be on a plane and a bus in the coming weeks, so I'll be wearing all 3 for about 2 hours.  

Edit: The N95 Mask and the sunglasses is to protect me from people coughing and accidentally sneezing in my direction. I'm also bringing alcohol wipes to wipe down my devices and the hotel room I'll be staying at. If you've seen the movie "Contagion", you'll remember the CDC employee contract the virus while staying at a hotel. 

Edited by ThaiBrian
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Does that type of source suit you?

But maybe what a Harvard epidemiologist writes is not enough credible? 

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/thermonuclear-pandemic-level-bad-harvard-epidemiologist-warns-viral-outbreak-might-get

The OP is trying to get legit info out re effectiveness of masks; why are you trying to derail it? That link doesn't even mention masks.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

The OP is trying to get legit info out re effectiveness of masks; why are you trying to derail it? That link doesn't even mention masks.

The answer has already been given by a member of this forum who is an epidemiologist:
these masks are totally useless

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I wore a N95 the other day (I had two brand new ones left over from SARS days).

These things are mighty uncomfortable, expecially on the bridge of the nose where there is a metal 

clamp that moulds it to your face. I was also wearing full wrap around oakleys to protect the eyes.

Breathing in this mask feels laboured and when you exhale the outflow seems to go right into the 

sunglasses, fogging them up. I can imagine these discomforts being further aggravated in hot

weather outdoors with sweat and whatnot.

Ive opted to discard mask use and stick with stringent hand hygiene and avoiding touching any part of my face.

Also, no eating out.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

The answer has already been given by a member of this forum who is an epidemiologist:
these masks are totally useless

Which is why they are still part of the protective equipment people are told to wear by the CDC and various other medical institutes I suppose.

• Like 1

As virus is significantly smaller than the weave of the mask filter, I had this "vision thing": the mask is like a tennis court net and the virus is like shooting BBs at it. Some will hit the net by chance for sure, but most will go through. And so it goes

14 minutes ago, Emdog said:

As virus is significantly smaller than the weave of the mask filter, I had this "vision thing": the mask is like a tennis court net and the virus is like shooting BBs at it. Some will hit the net by chance for sure, but most will go through. And so it goes

Not quite: while the flu virus is smaller than the weave of a mask, there are also other factors such as hand to mouth & eye exposure (via formites), and simple eye exposure to airborne viruses which places us all at risk, but masks themselves are effective. 

As I understand it the virus is not airborne on its own, in the air is is carried via aerosol, i.e. produced by speaking etc, while coughing and sneezing is a forceful expulsion of aerosol - as the aerosol is larger than the weave of the masks the mask are commonly effective although not a foolproof measure against infection. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 2

I'll take my chances with the virus....no masks, just avoiding needless crowds and shopping etc. I'll also not travel on any planes until the hysteria dies down. 

We have an annual hysteria around flu season when the new virus emerges in China from livestock kept in homes, I can remember SARS and others, none of which have matched any of the experts' forecast for infections or deaths. Call my cynical if you wish.

I recognize that once in a while Spanish flu might come along and kill millions.....but the last time that happened was 1919....100 years ago.

• Like 1