Coronavirus and N95 Facemasks -- Will they help?

TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, Moo 2 said:

They are useless, only to be worn if you are already infected with the virus, according to French doctors.

Depends on what you mean by "they."  Regular papaer drugstore masks are believed to have very limited value in preventing exposure to airborne viruses. But N95 type respirator masks can be very effective.

See this latest update on the subject from U.S. National Public Radio:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/01/29/800531753/face-masks-what-doctors-say-about-their-role-in-containing-coronavirus

Because experts don't yet know exactly how the virus is transmitted, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is recommending that health care workers treat it like an airborne pathogen — germs that can travel in particles or droplets in the air. That means health care workers interacting with a coronavirus patient should wear a heavy-duty mask called an N95 respirator. These respirators are designed to fit tightly around the nose and mouth, and, when worn correctly, block out at least 95% of small airborne particles, according to the CDC.

By contrast, surgical masks — those cheap, disposable, gauzy masks that often come in blue or green — are less uncomfortable. But Schaffner says the scientific evidence that "there might be a benefit for people in the community wearing [surgical] face masks is very, very meager. The general sense is perhaps, but they're certainly not an absolute protection." In other words, they do provide some benefit but they're far from foolproof.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Depends on what you mean by "they."  Regular papaer drugstore masks are believed to have very limited value in preventing exposure to airborne viruses. But N95 type respirator masks can be very effective.

Since current evidences led us to believe that 2019-nCoV spread via droplet not airborne (this could change as new information arises), paper drugstore masks is far from useless.

Edited by PPMMUU

10 minutes ago, PPMMUU said:

Since current evidences led us to believe that 2019-nCoV spread via droplet not airborne (this could change as new information arises), paper drugstore masks is far from useless.

I believe the current medical opinion is that the coronavirus can be acquired either by breathing in the coughed/sneezed airborne particles from an infected person OR by touching  a surface with the virus and then touching your mouth, nose, eyes, etc.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe the current medical opinion is that the coronavirus can be acquired either by breathing in the coughed/sneezed airborne particles from an infected person OR by touching  a surface with the virus and then touching your mouth, nose, eyes, etc.

I believe you are sincerely misunderstood.

The Coronavirus can be acquired either by breathing in the coughed/sneezed DROPLET particles from an infected person OR by touching a surface with the virus and then touching your moth, nose, eyes, etc.

Airborne transmission and droplet transmission are two different means of transmission.

5 minutes ago, PPMMUU said:

Airborne transmission and droplet transmission are two different means of transmission.

When you sneeze out into the air, it's not droplets that come out?

Whatever you want to call it, the point is, the virus can be spread either by TOUCHING surfaces or BREATHING in particles.

I finally found some evidence for respirators being effective against virus:

"Studies in which researchers challenged NIOSH-approved N95 and P100 filtering facepiece respirators and filter cartridges with viable virus aerosols – including H1N1 influenza aerosols – indicated that respirators capture viable H1N1 influenza and other virus aerosols as well as or better than their respective N95 or P100 rating."

Yes, I know - the document is written by 3M, so it may be biased. However, it does contain a good explanation of how the filters work; well worth a read.

Respiratory Protection for Airborne Exposures to Biohazards_TDB174.pdf

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When you sneeze out into the air, it's not droplets that come out?

Whatever you want to call it, the point is, the virus can be spread either by TOUCHING surfaces or BREATHING in particles.

You are absolutely correct that the virus can be spread either by touching surfaces or breathing particles.

The different is droplets particle travel for a few meter and drop to the ground. (N95 not needed)

Airborne particle can stay in the air for much longer time. (N95 needed)

Of course N95 is better and better is always better. But regular surgical mask does work, even though not as good.

10 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

Here is the latest from WHO, where they say that there is no need to wear masks unless you are already infected or are a health care worker taking care of infected patients.

advice-on-the-use-of-masks-2019-ncov.pdf 117.48 kB · 2 downloads

The problem with what you've posted from the WHO is that particular document, with one small exception, is talking only about "medical masks" -- which are the cheap paper drugstore variety that have lots of opportunity for unfiltered air to be breathed in. And yes, as I've said all along, that type will do little to protect a non-sick person as the WHO document says.

Medical masks are surgical or procedure masks that are flat
or pleated (some are like cups); they are affixed to the head
with straps.

What the WHO document doesn't address, except in one place, is the use of N95 respirator masks, which ARE effective in preventing inhaled contaminants. And in the one place where the WHO document does talk about N95 masks, it says the following:

Health care workers should:
- use a particulate respirator at least as protective as a US
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
(NIOSH)-certified N95, European Union (EU) standard
FFP2, or equivalent, when performing aerosolgenerating
procedures such as tracheal intubation, noninvasive
ventilation, tracheotomy, cardiopulmonary
resuscitation, manual ventilation before intubation, and
bronchoscopy.

If N95 masks are recommended by the WHO for medical personnel, then they're good enough for me as a protective measure -- along with the various other infection protection measures such as hand hygiene, etc etc.

Lastly, the WHO document adds:

Cloth (e.g. cotton or gauze) masks are not recommended
under any circumstance.

I suspect, they're not recommending broad use of the N95 masks because to do so would be impractical -- they're relatively expensive, there's a limited supply of them and not enough to go around, and not necessary in most contexts.

Except, if you're in China where infected individuals abound in close quarters, it's the kind of mask you want to be wearing. And here in Thailand, where when riding on the BTS or MRT, it's impossible to maintain the 1 meter distance from potentially exposed people that the WHO recommends. Thus, I choose to wear the N95 masks there as well, or in other settings where I'm likely to be around any numbers of Chinese tourists that abound in Thailand, the country with the 2nd most coronavirus cases in the world after China.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I suspect, they're not recommending broad use of the N95 masks because to do so would be impractical -- they're relatively expensive, there's a limited supply of them and not enough to go around, and not necessary in most contexts.

Except, if you're in China where infected individuals abound in close quarters, it's the kind of mask you want to be wearing. And here in Thailand, where when riding on the BTS or MRT, it's impossible to maintain the 1 meter distance from potentially exposed people that the WHO recommends. Thus, I choose to wear the N95 masks there as well, or in other settings where I'm likely to be around any numbers of Chinese tourists that abound in Thailand, the country with the 2nd most coronavirus cases in the world after China.

Yes, I agree that if you for some reason cannot follow the recommendations that you should "avoid agglomerations and frequency of closed crowded spaces" and "maintain distance of at least 1 meter from any individual with 2019-nCoV respiratory symptoms (e.g., coughing, sneezing)" then in those circumstances it may be advantageous to wear an N95 mask.

A letter from one International school:

Dear Parents and Carers,

I am writing to update you regarding GIS’s response to the coronavirus outbreak. We are continuing to liaise very closely with ISAT, FOBISIA, other schools and the relevant Thai authorities, as well as monitoring announcements from the WHO, and using all this information to develop a cautious, vigilant yet pragmatic approach that is appropriate to our context.

For next week, school will continue to operate as normal, with us putting in place additional precautions relating to:

· Increased handwashing and use of hand gel;

· Additional rigorous cleaning, particularly in areas of high hand-touch such as doors/handles, desks, mice, keyboards etc;

· Careful monitoring for symptoms amongst students and staff;

· Monitoring and limiting visitors to the school;

· Sending children and staff home immediately if they display any of the symptoms associated with this disease. If your child is unwell, please do not send them to school;

· Paper masks – whilst there is little evidence that paper masks provide any real protection, as they fit poorly and filter very little, there is evidence that they actually help to spread infection when taken on and off and placed on desks, so please do not send your child to school in a paper mask;

· N95, N99 or P95 masks – if you wish your child to wear a mask to school next week, then please send them in wearing one of these higher quality masks. The best ones have a 'CV' rating - C (activated carbon) and V (valve). Such masks should be close fitting or their effectiveness is significantly reduced. If children come to school in a mask they must wear it for the whole day to avoid spreading the collected germs when it is taken on and off. (They will need to take it off for eating and drinking, when it must be stored directly in their bag, NOT placed on their desk/table which will spread germs further);

· Trips and events – we will make a decision on each trip and event planned on a case by case basis, depending on location, contact with the general public, and other pertinent factors. The staff leading affected trips and events will contact you directly should a trip be cancelled or postponed, and we apologise in advance for possible late notifications of these decisions.

As I have said previously, please try not to worry – rumours are rife and, as usual, the media is not helping the situation. Thus far, those worst affected have all been elderly, and the risk to healthy young people in this area is very small indeed. Should the situation change over the weekend, we will of course advise you further.

The most sensible advice I've seen to date.  I wonder if that came from a Thai.

Glad someone has taken on board the fact that these cheap masks can do more harm than good.  I read an article that states that these masks will become moist with use giving the perfect breeding ground for a virus. Surgical (paper) masks used in hospitals are to prevent the spread of germs from the wearer and are used once then disposed of.

It would appear that people wearing such masks are actually increasing the danger.

• 1 month later...

The virus spreads through coughs and sneezes which the droplets are much bigger. You can't spread a single virus, they come in groups so in my opinion , it is partially effective in case somebody coughs at you.

• Like 1