Passport status after leaving the EU.

My passport runs out in 2026 and at the moment it states "European Union" and underneath " United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

With the UK leaving the EU on 31st January do I take it that my current passport will run its natural course until 2026 and it will then be renewed in blue or do I have to renew at some point before that say when the transition period ends?

I see plenty of information with regards traveling in the EU but very little about traveling outside of the EU or on passport renewal.

• Like 1

Correct but after the end of the year the "European Union" above that will not be correct so we have this year to find out what the passport position will be, my guess is that we will fall into line with a new BLUE one when we need to renew the passport but it would be nice if someone could confirm that that will be the case.

• Confused 1
On 2/2/2020 at 9:57 AM, Henryford said:

Unfortunately i just renewed my passport and will have to live with an EUSSR passport for the next 10 years.

And no doubt, thanks to the pointlessly stupid EUSSR diktat that passports used to enter their hallowed Schengen area should be no older than 10 years, you didn't have any unexpired period from your previous passport added to it!

But in the context of the OP, it will only be possible to use your existing passport for travel to the Schengen area no later than 10 years after the date of its issue, even if it actually expires at a later date thanks to any unexpired period carried forward from the previous passport. For example, my existing passport was issued in February 2013 and is due to expire in September 2023. However, I won't be able to use it to enter the Schengen area any time after February 2023. 

Edited by OJAS
On 2/2/2020 at 9:57 AM, Henryford said:

Unfortunately i just renewed my passport and will have to live with an EUSSR passport for the next 10 years.

Lucky you! 10 years with the same PP, I have never has one last more than 3 years for the past forty years! due to I have had to travel so much for work! it may sound "glamorous" when you are in your twenties but when you are in your fifties and sixties - not a whole lot of fun!

A nice blue 90 pager would be nice, just like we used to get ???? 

• Like 1
On 2/4/2020 at 12:54 AM, CGW said:

Lucky you! 10 years with the same PP, I have never has one last more than 3 years for the past forty years! due to I have had to travel so much for work! it may sound "glamorous" when you are in your twenties but when you are in your fifties and sixties - not a whole lot of fun!

A nice blue 90 pager would be nice, just like we used to get ???? 

Working ANYWHERE in your fifties and sixties isn't a whole lot of fun unless one manages to score regional work. After maybe 15 years of hopping around SE Asia, I am wrapping up a job in west Africa. This is the first time I've been back in the region in maybe 12 years and that commute was/is a killer. Even my "favorite" airline managed to shoehorn a whole extra row of seats lengthwise down the plane! I thought 3-3-3 seating was tough but 3-4-3 is shocking, especially when clients aren't forking out for Business Class as easily as before and my not-so-favorite-any-more airline no longer allows me to use my miles to upgrade.

Anyway, back on topic, if one clamors for the new, blue British passport, apart from the cost, maybe it's as easy as 'losing' your freshly minted EU-standard one? Mine are about half-way through their typical 5-out-of-10 year life-cycle so hopefully, all the maroon ones will be gone by then.

Or maybe I'll just retire gracefully.