Coronavirus: Stay calm and carry on spending! Tourism minister tells tourists

webfact

"But in a reminder of how deadly the respiratory virus can be, federal health officials estimate that as many as 16,000 people have died (in the USA) of flu this season (2019)..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/02/14/this-years-flu-vaccine-is-doing-well-deaths-are-still-high/?fbclid=IwAR3o66egvLxu3ky6FJ4Zblk4IGl0SNRqvfIIVlUUTrP3PYxo849hHtzT3pI

Why is the world panicking about the Coronavirus? The risk of contracting influenza and dying is much higher.

• Thanks 1

Even less to worry about up here in the sticks.   Just went down the shed and checked the personal safety gear.   Spare masks full face and half face, safety goggles,  spare cartridges for chemicals,  quite a few disposable paper suits and rubber gloves in 3 sizes.  The only thing we short of is bacterial wash.  The wife being an orchardist we use this kind of gear weekly.  Maybe there is an upside to living in  Greenacres.  5555!

Oh dear, this is pathetic. It's one thing to tell the public, and tourists, that precautions are in place but to more or less 'plead' to keep spending is ridiculous. I hope they can or have disinfected the money too...'cause what if an infected person has sneezed the banknotes? No, I don't really mean that I just want to emphasise that you'd need to walk around in a protective suit with oxygen supply to have a good chance of not being infected. Anything less is taking a risk...but we aren't dumb Mr. TAT we understand this! What would be more encouraging is for Thailand to make a stand against Chinese tourist known to be from (presently known) infection zones and not welcome them with open arms. But no, I don't suppose that will happen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Oh dear, this is pathetic. It's one thing to tell the public, and tourists, that precautions are in place but to more or less 'plead' to keep spending is ridiculous. 

I dunno. I kind of like the mental idea of a TAT officers on their knees begging "Please Dear Sir, a baht for me, Kind Sire". I just might go to a beer bar to get a cold one and see that sight from a comfy seat. See, it could work.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

Thailand cant afford to stop Chinese tourist to come, they put so much efforts into bring more Chinese into Thailand, while i am expecting sooner or later Western countries will ban all Chinese for coming until it clears, Thailand gov wil say hey dont worry if u re not welcomed sick there come and spend to us we dont care if half country gets wiped out from Virus just spend spend, and while Chinese government admitted that 5 million people went out from Wuhan and wider area before they managed to lock down the whole area Thais saying dont panic just spend i can think otherwise that this thing is much bigger and that it will hit Thai economy not only theirs but whole area in SE Asia. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

In addition staff are cleaning handrails,toilet door knobs and other knobs. 

Where exactly is all this happening.  Asking for a friend. 

I had occasion today to use the toilet on the 4th floor of a very well known department store in central Pattaya.

I can only describe it as filthy and dilapidated. Not a cleaner in sight.

Why did they name the virus that? Are they trying to hurt Corona’s stock or something? Honestly until China at least starts being honest about it I have to agree with what some people have been posting and maybe they should temporarily restrict Chinese flights. China lies about everything as it is so they need to be taught a lesson anyway especially after what they did in Hong Kong recently. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, RoiEtDale said:

Why did they name the virus that? Are they trying to hurt Corona’s stock or something? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

The name "coronavirus" is derived from the Latin corona and the Greek κορώνη (korṓnē, "garland, wreath"), meaning crown or halo. This refers to the characteristic appearance of virions (the infective form of the virus) by electron microscopy, which have a fringe of large, bulbous surface projections creating an image reminiscent of a royal crown or of the solar corona.

Something to remember for the next pub quiz.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dallen52 said:

Err.

Its been reported that the virus is linked to China and the Chinese. 

But this government is still saying,

"Come in, come in".

Chinese tourists are preferred and welcome...

Even waivers for visas.

Make sure you bring your money...$$

well, it hasn't reached the magical 1:14 victim ratio yet

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism minister Pipat Ratchakitprakarn has told Thai and foreign tourists not to panic regarding the coronavirus outbreak. 

I was not too worried until I heard the words “Don’t panic”. It been used by politicians since I arrived in 1990 ... the coups in the 1990’s, the financial crisis in 1998 etc.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Coronavirus: Stay calm and carry on spending! Tourism minister tells tourists

Do you still need evidence? This character does not care about the lives of others at all, it is important that they only spend their money here!
Really start to do your job Mr. Pipat, I remember in the SARS crisis there were more tourists than during the last "high season", probably the high season in Thailand concerns only the exorbidant prices!
It is never too late to learn how to manage properly, only good will!

28 minutes ago, raccos21 said:

The globe is preparing for the epidemic but here they are asking people to go shopping. This is a joke of the year. I guess.

No, of the day. Just wait until you hear of the one for the year. It's a doozy. 

• Like 1