Thai Baht dropping

19 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Yes...THB is weakening as an overreaction to the virus. A welcome overreaction indeed, but still an overreaction IMO. I've taken advantage of the recent "pop" of the USD against the THB these past couple days, as not expecting it to last overly long, but hoping THB keeps on falling. If so, will exchange more of my stash of USD. 

I would wait.  I bet March 34 or 35.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I would wait.  I bet March 34 or 35.

Hope so! Will still be holding some back in that case, but just cost averaging as it goes up. 34-35 would certainly bring down the price of the car I'll be purchasing soon, but ain't holding my breath. ????

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Really, the Pound is shooting up, 40.7 today. 50 at 23.01 tomorrow.

Hope is the last thing to die.....Brexit trade conditions are still uncharted territory and betting on the last card USA is dangerous with an unstable leader, Trump is annoyed about the PM's Huawei decision ....... chlorine washed chicken and NHS sell out had better be on the table as well, you will probably see the pound continue to fall. The happy fall in the Baht is temporary due to corona and may only last a week or so, corona isn't ebola and nothing is more boring than old news and pneumonia.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Hope so! Will still be holding some back in that case, but just cost averaging as it goes up. 34-35 would certainly bring down the price of the car I'll be purchasing soon, but ain't holding my breath. ????

I would expect that it will range where the Thai Central bank would like to see it,  perhaps 32-33, if we are lucky. To be honest, if saw it rapidly move more then that I might worry, despite the short term benefit.

Long term predictions are still saying 29. Although I don't really put any stock in long term predictions one way or the other.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whiteman said:

The Bahht has not dropped enough as yet give it 2 more week to see the real costs to Thailand start to appear.

I hope you are correct. However, the THB has been bulletproof for 2 decades. Every type of political unrest, coups, juntas, violent and deadly protests, peaceful protests, bombings, airport shutdown, Shut Down BKK w/at least 4 major intersections closed for days, droughts, floods, corruption and even beloved King Bhumibol's death. Everything just bounces off and nothing seems to stop it (THB) from remaining strong. Been waiting since 97-98! Will it be any different this time? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

However, the THB has been bulletproof for 2 decades. Every type of political unrest, coups, juntas, violent and deadly protests, peaceful protests, bombings, airport shutdown, Shut Down BKK w/at least 4 major intersections closed for days, droughts, floods, corruption and even beloved King Bhumibol's death. Everything just bounces off and nothing seems to stop it (THB) from remaining strong.

Any one of these will turn the tide.

-Subsidies for auto-plants ends or ending.

-JPY interest rates rises or rising.

-THB interest rates falls or falling.

-NZD interest rates rises or rising.

On 1/29/2020 at 2:40 AM, shackleton said:

Will wait until after the 31st January 2020

Then see how the pound sterling reacts to Brexit

Not holding my breath but hoping

For the best on a rise against the Baht on the exchange rate 

The Brexit exit deal is done, so little anticipated. The markets are expecting a trade deal with the EU to emerge by the end of 2020 notwithstanding tantrums on the way, so again not so much. Sterling is more likely to be impacted by GDP etc figures and the likelihood of interest rate drop on the next round. Next month I will be happy to exchange GBPTHB at anything over 40 or HKDTHB over 4.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:08 AM, kwak250 said:

The Thai baht is so sttong that i have come to believe that even when the country suffers with disasters the baht just keeps on getting stronger.

I have watched the gbp go from 75 to 38 baht and don't think a Chinese virus will alter it.

Probably make the baht even stronger.

but that's over 15 years

Baht/£ now at 41.22 on transferwise, so creeping up

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1