TM6 Departure Card mix up

On arrival with GF, we both filled in arrival section of forms, but not departure section.  As they no longer staple this into passport, we accidentally mixed these papers up and don't know whose is whose. Other than a trip to immigration, is there any simple way to tell which one belongs to which person as all we can see is the Bar code number and arrival date stamp.  All advice appreciated.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They stapled mine in my passport when I entered earlier this month.

Haven't had mine stapled for years ... figured it was cost cutting :coffee1:

OP I take it one of you filled both in or pretty sure you could recognise the handwriting. If leaving together don't worry about it, if the IO picks it as the wrong one you're both there anyway to swap.

5 minutes ago, mirtl said:

Update, neither filled in and not leaving at same time, hence the question.

Thank you.

Don't worry about it. TM6 are often misplaced. At DM they have staff at passport control handing them out. The io also has them.

Personally, I would just my name etc on either one of the departure cards. If picked up then you would just do another.

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They stapled mine in my passport when I entered earlier this month.

Wow, how did you manage to get them to do that? They never do it and I've always gotta find a stapler and do it myself later on.

17 hours ago, mirtl said:

Neither departure card portion was filled in, and probably not leaving Thailand at same time. 

You should always put your name and passport number on them. I am surprised the officer accepted your card without that being on it.

You could go to a immigration office together and they could check which card is which.

18 hours ago, mirtl said:

On arrival with GF, we both filled in arrival section of forms, but not departure section.  As they no longer staple this into passport, we accidentally mixed these papers up and don't know whose is whose. Other than a trip to immigration, is there any simple way to tell which one belongs to which person as all we can see is the Bar code number and arrival date stamp.  All advice appreciated.

non Thai GF i assume

On 1/27/2020 at 3:09 PM, Salerno said:

Haven't had mine stapled for years ... figured it was cost cutting :coffee1:

OP I take it one of you filled both in or pretty sure you could recognise the handwriting. If leaving together don't worry about it, if the IO picks it as the wrong one you're both there anyway to swap.

I heard a rumor as to why they quit using staples to secure the TM6 in a person's passport. Supposedly since it is forbidden to alter or deface a passport, it was determined that stapling did in fact deface a passport so that is why they stopped. But again, just a rumor.

14 minutes ago, toolpush said:

I heard a rumor as to why they quit using staples to secure the TM6 in a person's passport. Supposedly since it is forbidden to alter or deface a passport, it was determined that stapling did in fact deface a passport so that is why they stopped. But again, just a rumor.

What about all the other things they like to staple in your passport?  Also, if it is illegal, it would probably only be so in the country of origin. 

20 minutes ago, toolpush said:

Doesn't using a rubber stamp on a passport page deface/alter it?  Ditto for any handwritten notation on any such stamp?  The rumor's probably correct, but it's a bit absurd, don't you think?

12 minutes ago, boonchu said:

Australian immigration pulled me up because my 90 day report and the TM 6 were stapled in my passport. They said this defaces the passport.

Did they also call up Thai Immigration and bo!!ock them for not keeping the TM6 as they usually do upon your departure???

Are you sure of your story now?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, boonchu said:

Australian immigration pulled me up because my 90 day report and the TM 6 were stapled in my passport. They said this defaces the passport.

I'm buggered if they check me then. I always staple my TM6 in and have had agents, thai immigration, employer staple things in it all the time. There must be 20 staple holes in it by now. Oops.

What happened? Just a stern and cold "you can't do that mate"?

OP:  

Will you be departing Thailand at the same time on your next departure?

If so, you have no issues - if the ‘switch’ is spotted, you can quickly correct the issue. 

If, on the other hand you will not be with your GF on your next departure then at least ask her to be at the airport, just incase you have an issue. 

12 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Wow, how did you manage to get them to do that? They never do it and I've always gotta find a stapler and do it myself later on.

What do you mean,"they never do it"? How many times have you been in Thailand? Since the new smaller TM6-card got issued,they sometime just slip it inside the passport. Before that they always stapled it in the passport. For me we're talking 30+ years. 

• Like 1

This thread is a good e.g of pretty much useless 2 pages. I posted #2.

Misplacing tm6 departure card happens ALL the time. Just do a new one at airport. I can't advise re land border exit.

I fly out every 2 weeks and see this almost every flight out. 

As for staple chat about "cannot do that"

Rubbish. 

Regarding staple at reentry into Thailand and io staple departure card. Used to be very common. Currently just about Zero.

I had one stapled recently. I think because flying so much my one page Vietnam multi was few pages away from my "Thai page"

Anyway back to OP. 

I would flip coin on the 2 tm6 you have.

Present at departure. If issue explain and do new one. OR just fill new one at departure and depart. No issue

14 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

What about all the other things they like to staple in your passport?  Also, if it is illegal, it would probably only be so in the country of origin. 

So they don't staple the TM6 but the receipt for 1900 baht is fine...... odd. 

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So they don't staple the TM6 but the receipt for 1900 baht is fine...... odd. 

My TM6-card got stapled in my passport for 30+ years until the first time I got the smaller card. It wasn't that hard to find a stapler and do it myself. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mirtl said:

What about going for an extension of current visa at immigration?  I thought they asked for this form and it has to match with your number in the system?

You have to attach a copy of your TM6 departure card to the application for the extension of stay. 

Make a copy of both cards and take both of the originals with you and they can check which card is for whom in their database. Then write your name  and passport number on the one that is yours.