BANGKOK
webfact

Coronavirus UPDATE: More Chinese cities restrict travel, Thailand checking land borders

Makes you wonder how many important Thais will have to be victimes before money becomes less important than health.

2 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Well, we should know shortly. One way or the other.

In more than 12 hours the only reports of this I could find are all cut and paste Indian news outlets. Pretty sure it would be picked up worldwide by now. But, as you say, time will tell.

Just talked to a friend who works at an international school here in Chiang Mai and half the students are Chinese. The school just informed him that there will be no school for 2 weeks as many of the students came down with the 'flu/cold'... which it genuinely could be. I'm just getting over a cold myself. 

Edited by ThaiBrian
spelling

10 minutes ago, zydeco said:

But India???  I know. Which makes me all the more fearful if it does get to India. If you think China is incompetent handling this . . . .

On the other hand they do have fairly recent experience with handling pandemics.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Indian_swine_flu_outbreak

Actually, it's been pretty benign this century.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_epidemics#21st_century

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

Also, the Thai Department of Disease Control is issuing pretty much daily updates on what's going on with the virus, both in Thailand and internationally. There's an EN version of those available via their website as PDF files... They sometimes are a bit behind, but nonetheless make useful reading.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

Such as this entry from the latest update dated Jan. 27, which shows how many hospitals in different areas of Thailand have people with potential coronavirus symptoms. The following excerpt refers to PUI - Patients Under Investigation, meaning they haven't been confirmed to have the virus thus far but are still being monitored in hospitals:

60 PUI are admitted at hospitals, including 33 at government hospitals (Nakhon Pathom, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Nakhon Sawan, Ang Thong, Surat Thani and Phitsanulok), 15 at Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute and twelve at private hospitals. There are 21 PUI in isolation rooms for healthcare providers to monitor their clinical signs. There is one PUI that has severe complications.

I was pretty surprised to read the list of hospital locations above, considering how far and wide in Thailand all those locations are, for having patients who at this point are only suspected of having the virus.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Also, the Thai Department of Disease Control is issuing pretty much daily updates on what's going on with the virus, both in Thailand and internationally. There's an EN version of those available via their website as PDF files... They sometimes are a bit behind, but nonetheless make useful reading.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

Very interesting, thanks.

There are a number of bugs out there to get you at the moment, they found quite a litany in the lab tests:

The etiologic agents for the other cases were identified in the final diagnoses as Influenza A virus (11 cases), Influenza B virus (11 cases), Influenza C virus (1 case), Adenovirus (1 case), Coronavirus OC43 (1 case), Streptococcus pneumoniae (1 case), Bronchitis (5 cases), Acute Nasopharyngitis (2 cases), Pharyngitis (2 cases), common cold (1 case), RSV infection (3 cases) and Tonsillitis (1 case). There are 79 cases in which laboratory results are pending. 

Not easy to diagnose who has what.

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Very interesting, thanks.

There are a number of bugs out there to get you at the moment, they found quite a litany in the lab tests:

Not easy to diagnose who has what.

The tonsilitis one was my favorite!  If they all were only the OTHER routine medical maladies....

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The tonsilitis one was my favorite!  If they all were only the OTHER routine medical maladies....

They did mix up actual bugs with diseases though... bronchitis & co can be caused by many viruses. I guess they couldn't be arsed to check further once they ruled out the new virus.