Coronavirus UPDATE: More Chinese cities restrict travel, Thailand checking land borders

webfact

3 minutes ago, Traubert said:

That figure is increasing rapidly as everybody sh**s themselves when they see a Chinese person.

Indeed! there will be a bounty on every Chinese head the way this is being driven! 

8 minutes ago, CGW said:

Indeed! there will be a bounty on every Chinese head the way this is being driven! 

There are some that would advocate that among the colonial brethren here.

Disgusting racism on full display.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, MalibuJay said:

Have you ever seen restrictions on travel the size of what the Chinese are imposing now?  I haven't in my lifetime. 

There were a lot of travel warnings during SARS outbreak, difference then was the Chinese themselves travelled little, its only in recent years they have started to travel.

I was working offshore China during this period, before going offshore we had to spend four days in a hotel to check we were not carrying the virus, they were very though, a lot more than people realised at the time.

I was travelling to Singapore frequently also at the time, remember going through Changi and being virtually the only person in the terminal.

I doubt any other nation on earth would handle this as well as the Chinese have!

19 minutes ago, CGW said:

I doubt any other nation on earth would handle this as well as the Chinese have!

I think North Korea has shut down it's borders completely. Benefits of communism, you can simply squash any resistance.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, webfact said:

Dr. Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai, claims that person-to-person transmission of the novel coronavirus is “not easy”.

Saying this after over 800 have been infected and over 100 dead. Based on the numbers, his statement does not make sense to me; unless, he is trying to ease the mind of people who know nothing about what's going on with this virus and it relelation to world events

2 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Saying this after over 800 have been infected and over 100 dead. 

4,474 diagnosed and 107 dead are the current figures from JHU's dashboard (their sources are listed in the links in bottom right corner): https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

1 hour ago, Poppadom said:

Just checked flightradar... Tens of flights to land in Phuket from China later tonight, 2 of which are from Wuhan! Not sure of the passenger load factor though ????

Wasn't Wuhan supposed to be in complete lockdown?

5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Say what?

It's an Indian news source. Not sure how reliable those are. So make of it what you will. I have no way to judge its credibility. 

A 32-year-old Thailand national, suspected to be suffering from Coronavirus, died in a private hospital in Kolkata on Monday.

Hospital sources said that the woman was admitted to the hospital at 11 pm on January 21 and transferred to the ICU with stomach problem, nausea and fever.

She left Thailand in late November and also visited Nepal before coming to India.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/coronavirus-outbreak-thai-woman-dies-corona-like-symptoms-in-bengal-hospital-1640781-2020-01-28

Edited by zydeco

Thai PBS has a report today saying the confirmed virus cases in Thailand has risen from 8 to 14 now... the 6 new cases all Chinese tourists.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/six-new-coronavirus-cases-confirmed-in-thailand-all-hospitalised/

Six additional cases of novel coronavirus 2019 infection in Thailand have been confirmed by the Ministry of Public Health, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 14.

Public health permanent secretary Dr. Suhum Kanchanapimai told a news conference, at the Public Health Ministry today, that five of the six confirmed cases were members of the same Chinese family from Hubei province, who travelled to Thailand together, while the sixth, also a Chinese tourist, came from Chongqing municipality.

The five family members, aged from six to 60, were suspected to be infected with novel coronavirus upon their arrival in Thailand and isolated for two blood tests, which showed positive results.  They and the sixth were subsequently taken to Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute for treatment.

And Thai PBS likewise has a report from AFP predicting the virus debacle is going to be here for a long while and affect tens of thousands of people, based on their best estimates.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/experts-say-virus-outbreak-will-last-months-at-least/

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The deadly new coronavirus, 2019-nCoV, that has broken out in China will afflict a minimum of tens of thousands of people and will last at least several months, researchers estimate based on the first available data.

“The best-case scenario, you would have something… where we go through the spring into the summer, and then it dies down,” Professor David Fisman, of the University of Toronto, who wrote an analysis of the virus for the International Society for Infectious Diseases, told AFP.

Said Prof Alessandro Vespignani, a professor at Northeastern University: “It’s not something that’s going to end the next week or the next month.” He is part of a group of researchers that manages an online dashboard about the outbreak.

4 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Sounds a bit far fetched to me. This doesn't give me confidence in the article either:

At least eight people have died in Thailand from deadly Coronavirus.

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Sounds a bit far fetched to me. This doesn't give me confidence in the article either:

Well, we should know shortly. One way or the other. If true, this would be the intersection of China, India, and Thailand, all meeting in Nepal. The latter part could have been a rushed editor trying to get a scoop. But India???  I know. Which makes me all the more fearful if it does get to India. If you think China is incompetent handling this . . . .

2 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Well, we should know shortly. One way or the other.

In more than 12 hours the only reports of this I could find are all cut and paste Indian news outlets. Pretty sure it would be picked up worldwide by now. But, as you say, time will tell.

Just talked to a friend who works at an international school here in Chiang Mai and half the students are Chinese. The school just informed him that there will be no school for 2 weeks as many of the students came down with the 'flu/cold'... which it genuinely could be. I'm just getting over a cold myself. 

Edited by ThaiBrian
spelling

10 minutes ago, zydeco said:

But India???  I know. Which makes me all the more fearful if it does get to India. If you think China is incompetent handling this . . . .

On the other hand they do have fairly recent experience with handling pandemics.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Indian_swine_flu_outbreak

Actually, it's been pretty benign this century.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_epidemics#21st_century

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

Also, the Thai Department of Disease Control is issuing pretty much daily updates on what's going on with the virus, both in Thailand and internationally. There's an EN version of those available via their website as PDF files... They sometimes are a bit behind, but nonetheless make useful reading.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

Such as this entry from the latest update dated Jan. 27, which shows how many hospitals in different areas of Thailand have people with potential coronavirus symptoms. The following excerpt refers to PUI - Patients Under Investigation, meaning they haven't been confirmed to have the virus thus far but are still being monitored in hospitals:

60 PUI are admitted at hospitals, including 33 at government hospitals (Nakhon Pathom, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Nakhon Sawan, Ang Thong, Surat Thani and Phitsanulok), 15 at Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute and twelve at private hospitals. There are 21 PUI in isolation rooms for healthcare providers to monitor their clinical signs. There is one PUI that has severe complications.

I was pretty surprised to read the list of hospital locations above, considering how far and wide in Thailand all those locations are, for having patients who at this point are only suspected of having the virus.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Also, the Thai Department of Disease Control is issuing pretty much daily updates on what's going on with the virus, both in Thailand and internationally. There's an EN version of those available via their website as PDF files... They sometimes are a bit behind, but nonetheless make useful reading.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

Very interesting, thanks.

There are a number of bugs out there to get you at the moment, they found quite a litany in the lab tests:

The etiologic agents for the other cases were identified in the final diagnoses as Influenza A virus (11 cases), Influenza B virus (11 cases), Influenza C virus (1 case), Adenovirus (1 case), Coronavirus OC43 (1 case), Streptococcus pneumoniae (1 case), Bronchitis (5 cases), Acute Nasopharyngitis (2 cases), Pharyngitis (2 cases), common cold (1 case), RSV infection (3 cases) and Tonsillitis (1 case). There are 79 cases in which laboratory results are pending. 

Not easy to diagnose who has what.

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Very interesting, thanks.

There are a number of bugs out there to get you at the moment, they found quite a litany in the lab tests:

Not easy to diagnose who has what.

The tonsilitis one was my favorite!  If they all were only the OTHER routine medical maladies....

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The tonsilitis one was my favorite!  If they all were only the OTHER routine medical maladies....

They did mix up actual bugs with diseases though... bronchitis & co can be caused by many viruses. I guess they couldn't be arsed to check further once they ruled out the new virus.