BANGKOK

Anyone ever heard of an Investors Visa? Limited info suggests that this requires a minimum of 10,000,000 Baht brought into the country for purposes of property purchase, or even just to deposit in a Thai bank account.

Sorry, but seems a bit of a loony visa to me where a Thai is the 51% stake holder of your money/investment

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but seems a bit of a loony visa to me where a Thai is the 51% stake holder of your money/investment

Nothing to do with this.

This is about investing 10 mio THB in a gov approved condo project, bond etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

The moment you sell you are no longer eligible, which is just another scam

Not sure that is correct. If you sold the condo you could put the money in the bank or bonds and still get the extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So to clarify. Exactly what type of investments are acceptable?

What is the point of the 10 MB investment if there is also a 3 MB one available? After reading the confusing document I did not find a reason.

Edited by DaRoadrunner

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

It states:- Must have evidence of investing in the form of a fixed deposit of no less than Baht 10 million
with a bank which is registered in Thailand and has Thai nationals holding more than 50 percent of
its shares.

So it is the bank which must be 50% + Thai owned, NOT your deposit.

10 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

What is the point of the 10 MB investment if there is also a 3 MB one available? After reading the confusing document I did not find a reason.

The 3 million baht investment was rescinded in 2006. From the immigration website.

"(2) Must have entered the Kingdom before October 1, 2006 and must have been consecutively
permitted to stay in the Kingdom for an investment of no less than Baht 3 million;"

15 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

here you are stuck with overpriced pre screened bs investments that are government owned. Thai gov bonds are horrible, u are better off sticking the money in an index fund (9 mio) and wasting 1 mio for the elite visa imo.

how much percentage can you expect in Thailand from such an index fund ?

fed up with 1.5 percent gross in banks

thanks for reply

1 hour ago, justin case said:

how much percentage can you expect in Thailand from such an index fund ?

fed up with 1.5 percent gross in banks

thanks for reply

I wouldn't do it in a thai broker, interactive brokers (US) has access to the every proper indexfund and can be used from thailand: https://www.investopedia.com/interactive-brokers-review-4587904

SAXO from Singapore is also used by many asian expats (me thinks), generally this article is useful: https://www.crevelingandcreveling.com/blog/smart-low-cost-investing-asias-non-us-expats

Fees for interactive brokers, internaxx, saxo etc usually are around  0.15% to 0.25% - so really virtually nothing.

Tech index funds like msci world info tech (https://www.msci.com/documents/10199/69aaf9fd-d91d-4505-a877-4b1ad70ee855) are up 47.55% in 2019...

ANNUAL PERFORMANCE (%)
Year MSCI World
Info Tech MSCI World MSCI ACWI
2019 47.55 27.67 26.60
2018 -2.60 -8.71 -9.41
2017 38.23 22.40 23.97
2016 11.45 7.51 7.86
2015 4.76 -0.87 -2.36
2014 16.06 4.94 4.16
2013 28.72 26.68 22.80
2012 13.30 15.83 16.13
2011 -2.49 -5.54 -7.35
2010 10.49 11.76 12.67
2009 52.36 29.99 34.63
2008 -43.87 -40.71 -42.19
2007 15.10 9.04 11.66
2006 9.31 20.07 20.95

quite impressive performance.... totally not investment advice tho, but everything is better than thai gov bonds imo.

PS: Would only invest in index funds, don't pick stocks... you aren't warren buffet.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon investing 10 million baht.

Requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_5

The part that I have an issue with is:

(2) Must have evidence of transferring funds into Thailand of no less than Baht 10 million.

What if you have been living in Thailand for many years and earned enough to have 10 million Baht. Seems like the money needs to come from abroad. Why can't one use the money they made in Thailand?

15 minutes ago, Silurian said:

What if you have been living in Thailand for many years and earned enough to have 10 million Baht. Seems like the money needs to come from abroad. Why can't one use the money they made in Thailand?

That is what is required. They want the 10 million transferred into the country from abroad as an investment in the country.

Saving money earned here is not the same apparently. I guess you could transfer it out and back in to qualify.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is what is required. They want the 10 million transferred into the country from abroad as an investment in the country.

Saving money earned here is not the same apparently. I guess you could transfer it out and back in to qualify.

Seems like a stupid rule to me.

If I transfer the money out, it will stay out and I will follow it.

Edited by Silurian

15 hours ago, Silurian said:

Seems like a stupid rule to me.

If I transfer the money out, it will stay out and I will follow it.

Well not really, investment means putting money into (Thailand). How about an Elite Visa?