Investors Visa?

On 2/1/2020 at 12:58 PM, landosmiles said:

For the discussion around whether work is required for PR, there was also some discussion around this a few months ago at: 

- with similar conclusions.

I believe that is for PR via investment, not an investment visa.

How very confusing.

How does the 10 million even apply to a condo rental price? That you paid 10 million in rent over 3 years?? Or that the condo was bought by the owner for 10 million, and now you've been renting it for 3 years for less than 10 million? Well, I'm pursuing the investment visa via something other than a condo, so more of a rhetorical question for me.

@ThomasThBKK I am pursuing investment visa via something other than a condo, so I won't argue with you about the condo approach. However, for an investment visa by otherwise holding funds in Thailand... Common investing advice is to have a mix of stocks and safer investments, so I'm planning to keep the 10 million baht in a Thai 'safe' investment while leaving my other funds invested in my home country in stocks. I would imagine that the stock market wouldn't be considered comparable risk to a fixed deposit account or bonds. However, if the 10 million baht is the entirety of worldwide investments that someone has then I may agree with you.

I ran the numbers, and investment visa seemed more advantageous to me than elite visa - and would be even more so if your stay duration doesn't end up corresponding exactly to the elite visa length, and also more so if you're coming from a developed country whose rates are approaching zero or are even negative. The comparison I came up with: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WM8u3P7z0sc8KfneuDby_bTdetj_dWbHjCg4HZoJRaU/edit

I am interested to hear feedback.

Finally, merely to help link others to relevant discussions, there is another recent thread on investment visas in these forums at: 

Sure might make sense in your circumstances. I find it however compared to other investment visas around the world extremely bad.

How old are you or better, how long till you could get a retirement visa?

Why interest rate so low? I mean why even put the money into Thailand... No value in having it instead in lets say Singapore? For me big value.

Does the 20 year visa maybe make more sense? It's 50k   a year.

Airport limo, you know you can use it both ways and AOT is usually way more expensive than 360 THB?

I've been in a number of countries, but prefer Thailand for now. I'm still 12 year short of a retirement visa. The spreadsheet(s) I linked to use semi-aggressive figures for the US. I'm not familiar with how to invest within Singapore, unfortunately. Although I want to stay in Thailand for now, I think trying to predict where I'll want to be in 5 years, let alone 20, is too far out for me. Although a limo would cost more than 360 THB, I personally only value it the same as a GrabCar - but I wouldn't object to others placing a significantly different value on it. Although the transportation is round-trip, it's only for international flights, which in my case I anticipate only doing 2 or 3 times per year. Thanks for the reply!

As a more general upate for those interested in the investment visa (non-condo) route: I visited 6 GSB branches, 2 LH branches, and 1 TMB branch. All started by asking me "work permit?" but even after explaining that I'm not working and showing them the investor visa page, it was a no-go. Krunsri said OK, although now I don't know if Krungsri meets the Thai government`s requirement that it be "a bank which is registered in Thailand and has Thai nationals holding more than 50 percent of its shares" - I'm trying to confirm that now.

Thank you. Krungsri's Company Overview page has similar data. However, the biggest shareholder there (77%) is MUFG, a Japanese bank. However, Krungsri also seems to be publicly traded on SET, so I don't know how those things fit together. I've sent Krungsri an email. Phone customer service said yes but I don't think they understand, and I don't trust verbal answers from bank reps more than I do thaivisa replies. ???? Regardless, thanks!

I had previously excluded CIMB Thai, UOB, Bank of China (Thai), Industrial & Commercial Bank of China (Thai), and Citibank as I expected they didn't meet the government requirements.

• 11 months later...

I am pursuing the investment visa as well although I am not in Thailand at the moment.

I own a few condos in Pattaya and Bangkok and I qualify with all the requirements (first buyer, holding them three years, money from abroad, etc) so lay all that aside.

I am also informed that you can combine qualified investments so it reaches the 10 MIL threshold.

My question is, if anyone knows as I am getting different answers all around, if the condos can be combined even though some are located in Bangkok and some in Pattaya?

I haven't read anywhere that the condos must be located in the same jurisdiction but I have been told by some that you can't combine condos in Pattaya and Bangkok to meet the 10 MIL threshold which seems highly weird if that would be the case.

Does anyone know?

Archived