Retirement Extension Today Jomtien - Very Smooth

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

... 2) if embassy no longer issues income certificates monthly transfer must be minimum of 65k which implies combo method can't be used

When I was applying for a Non-O 90 day, I presented a bank book and bank letter verifying my deposit of 800k baht.  
They also wanted proof that it was an international transfer. 

AND... they wanted proof on my pension income (statement).  The very same proof of pension income they would not accept without a Embassy/Consulate affidavit.  That made me laugh.  

37 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

When I was applying for a Non-O 90 day, I presented a bank book and bank letter verifying my deposit of 800k baht.  

AND... they wanted proof on my pension income (statement).  The very same proof of pension income they would not accept without a Embassy/Consulate affidavit.  That made me laugh.  

A proof of the source = proof of being officially retired, is not same as the income letter/affidavit you got from your embassy before January 1 2019. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

A proof of the source = proof of being officially retired, is not same as the income letter/affidavit you got from your embassy before January 1 2019. 

The point is they are accepting exactly the same evidence that was required for the British embassy letter and we were told wasn't verifiablae, hence the letters were ceased. More than a touch of irony there.

2 hours ago, Nowisee said:

Strange they wanted proof of income when you were using 800k deposit method. did they specify pension? or did they just take what you gave them? I'm thinking what are you meant to do if over 50 but not taking a pension. They are a daft lot, you could be a billionaire and not needing to take a pension or old enough to get a pension but that's not good enough

10 minutes ago, kbb said:

My category is (I believe) Non OA

You need to be sure what you have.

Did you your original visa allow a one year entry. If only 90 days then it was a non-o visa that does not require insurance.

The visa you used for entry that gave you the permit to stay you have been extending will show what type it was. If a new passport since then it will be shown on page 1 of your passport on a stamp that shows the type of visa used and your old passport number.

40 minutes ago, kbb said:

I have a retirement extension. My category is (I believe) Non OA

kbb

It is my understanding that the OA visa is issued in your home country.  So where did you apply.  If you got a 90 day visa in Thailand it would be a Non Immigrant O and it should be stamped as such in your passport.  You would then apply for a 1 year extension and no insurance is required.  If it is an OA then insurance is required. 

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Strange they wanted proof of income when you were using 800k deposit method. did they specify pension? or did they just take what you gave them? I'm thinking what are you meant to do if over 50 but not taking a pension. They are a daft lot, you could be a billionaire and not needing to take a pension or old enough to get a pension but that's not good enough

I think he did the conversion from a visa exempt or 60 days tourist visa to a 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa based on retirement. Then the 800k transfer must be foreign and asking for the source and proof of retirement is not strange at all. 

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I think he did the conversion from a visa exempt or 60 days tourist visa to a 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa based on retirement. Then the 800k transfer must be foreign and asking for the source and proof of retirement is not strange at all. 

I can't recall any other reports of asking for proof of retirement when using the 800k deposit method, maybe you've got links of others mentioning it on here?

14 hours ago, Thomas J said:

kbb

It is my understanding that the OA visa is issued in your home country.  So where did you apply.  If you got a 90 day visa in Thailand it would be a Non Immigrant O and it should be stamped as such in your passport.  You would then apply for a 1 year extension and no insurance is required.  If it is an OA then insurance is required. 

I changed from a family (type O, issued in LA) to a Retirement (OA) in Bangkok several years ago.

I have been extending this annually, with no problems,

So to see if I understand this

Annual OA visa’s require the insurance.

So - I'll be getting the insurance before I re-extend.

Thanks!

Edited by kbb
Missed reply

43 minutes ago, kbb said:

I changed from a family (type O, issued in LA) to a Retirement (OA) in Bangkok several years ago.

You still have a non-o visa entry. You did not change to a OA visa in Bangkok when you applied for your first extension of stay based upon retirement.

You do not need to worry about insurance at immigration.

1 hour ago, kbb said:

I have been extending this annually, with no problems,

So to see if I understand this

Annual OA visa’s require the insurance.

So - I'll be getting the insurance before I re-extend.

Thanks!

It's not possible to change from a Non-O to an O-A Visa at immigration in Thailand. 

3 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Can't beat Jomtien, all these horror stories of queing up at 5am, waiting 5 hours...kudos always to Jomtien Immigration for being so efficient and professional...never ever an issue there. they have it sorted down to a tee

Inevitable I'd have thought given the disproportionately large ex-pat numbers

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:
  3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not possible to change non immigrant visa categories at immigration.

Ubonjoe

The only thing I have ever heard is that you can apply for an OA visa at one location in Bangkok.  Now why anyone in Thailand would want to apply for the OA if they were already in Thailand I would not understand why. 

OA.JPG

33 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

The only thing I have ever heard is that you can apply for an OA visa at one location in Bangkok.  Now why anyone in Thailand would want to apply for the OA if they were already in Thailand I would not understand why. 

Thai is old incorrect info that appears on the MFA website and some embassies websites. You cannot apply for a OA visa anywhere here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thai is old incorrect info that appears on the MFA website and some embassies websites. You cannot apply for a OA visa anywhere here.

ubonjoe

You are correct that it is from the MFA website.  It is still there

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html