Irish PM says EU has upper hand in Brexit trade talks with UK

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Varadkar, in an interview with the BBC, compared the two sides to soccer teams and suggested that the EU would have the “stronger team” due to its larger population and market.

“The European Union is a union of 27 member states. The UK is only one country. And we have a population and a market of 450 million people,” he told the BBC.

Size gives EU quite a good advantage when it comes to making a trade deal. Still let's not forget that UK buys more products from the EU, than EU exports to UK. Services however is a whole different ballgame. 

Also EU can continue easy trading using it's existing trade deals around the globe, meanwhile UK has to create almost everything from the scratch. 

Most likely result is that this will be clean break Brexit. Few common sense deals, basic aviation etc., but no trade or service deals.

1 minute ago, samran said:

Probably me being pedantic, but surely the UK buys exactly the same amount of goods that the EU exports to the UK? 

Oh yes. My mistake. I can't edit that post. I hope people still understand my brainfart. 

• Like 2

The EU just don't learn and you get some posters saying we should have tried to work with them.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/eu-demands-its-judges-keep-control-after-brexit-wkk9fcjfz

I am looking forward to the next brave country who has the guts to stop being dominated by a German led dictatorship.

Will it be Hungary, Italy or Holland.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Christie Paul said:

The EU is tanking - capital flows to the US are enormous - restrictive policies have created recession - ECB a zombie holding 40% of debt and 12 trillion in outstanding negative interest rate bonds - what a mess. The UK has climbed out of what could be described as a burning dumpster.

The contradictions of the Euro functioning in seriously different economies, e.g. Greece/southern tier and Germany, have yet to be dealt with. Germany seems incapable of recognizing its duty to support less fortunate members, so now they are all in an apparently inescapable deflation.

18 hours ago, vogie said:

Whilst the EU may look at the UK leaving the EU as a disaster, the UK does not look at it that way. Cameron tried his best to get some concessions from the EU, they laughed at him, I'd like to bet that they are not laughing now. You make your bed, you lie in it. Boris is not May!

Time to read recent history see "what EU all gave to Cameron" in Google:

20 feb. 2016 - David Cameron claims his EU reform deal will give the UK "special ... benefits at all", adding that "if jobseekers have not found a job within six ...
14 jun. 2016 - In his January 2013 Bloomberg Speech, David Cameron announced he ... can't have imposed on it changes the eurozone want to make without ... be discussed in the European Council, which means all 28 member states.
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2020 at 9:23 PM, samran said:

Probably me being pedantic, but surely the UK buys exactly the same amount of goods that the EU exports to the UK? 

Anyway, the usual rule brittania types will be along shortly to tell us how a market of 60 odd million worth a couple of % of global GDP out negotiates a market of 400m with close to 20% of global GDP.

Those with a larger spend i.e. buying power can often have more power in a negotiation. However, those selling, if they are selling something unique or have something the buyer desperately needs. 

The EU are also conscious of the reactions of other major trading blocs / nations. They have deals with Switzerland and Norway. They won't want any potential UK deal to be significantly better or worse. That would open them up to accusations of favoritism or spite. Neither sits well with a bloc trying to lecture the world on good neo-liberal behavior.

There has also been some comment in the EU about concerns on jobs there too in a no deal Brexit.

The new EU commission president and her team need to grab control of this. And perhaps review if Barnier is the best choice or if they continue with Macron's puppet. Another potential rift between France and Germany.

Johnson's 1 year is a target, put down specifically to stop the EU prevaricating and deliberately dragging their feet. Which Barnier is already indicating that's what they'll do.

The Irish PM isn't a strong player in this in reality.

• Thanks 1