Diddy calls out Grammys for 'not respecting black music' in 50 MINUTE speech at Clive Davis' annual gala

snoop1130

Diddy calls out Grammys for 'not respecting black music' in 50 MINUTE speech at Clive Davis' annual gala

By ANNITA KATEE

23893630-7931533-He_had_words_Diddy_had_lots_to_say_on_Saturday_night_when_he_cal-a-329_1580054382278.jpg

He had words: Diddy had lots to say on Saturday night when he called out the Recording Academy for not respecting Black Music in a 50 minute speech at the Clive Davis Pre-Grammys Gala

He was an honoree of the 2020 Grammys Salute to Industry Icons award at the annual Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Gala on Saturday night. 

And in a whopping 50 minute acceptance speech, Diddy used his time to slam the Recording Academy for their lack of respect toward black music. 

The 50-year-old took to the stage to say his peace before encouraging the academy to 'do better.' 

'There’s something that I need to say to the Grammys — and I say this with love,' he began to the A-list crowd. 

Full Story: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7931533/Diddy-calls-Grammys-not-respecting-black-music-50-MINUTE-speech-Clive-Davis-Gala.html

These words of the future President of the United States should be taken very seriously.

Yo! Da Kardashian's in da big House!

In the meantime, if y'all write mostly sheeit music that grates on the ears and sensibilities of even the most broad-minded and non-racist wyte folks, y'all got to be prepared to be ignored. The few truly gifted bryte, black stars, the big dawgs like Mr Kim Kardashian and Mr Beyonce who have been amply recognized and rewarded for their musical contributions, need to do their jobs, take care of their own and not let anglo-centric record labels and music industry award panels decide what's hot and what's not. For every one of the A-list 'musical talent of color', there's a whole lot that don't even try to create listenable, socially relevant music of their chosen genre. They're sucked into their own hype that good means bling and having FDA-approved eye candy hanging off your arm. If that plays into the hands of the aforementioned biased music industry, so be it. If they really want to afford them a chance to run with the big dawgs, the big dawgs themselves need to give 'em some room in the big dawg pound. Nobody liked monopolies regardless of your skin color.

The undeniably talented Erykah Badu's lamentable lack of a broader, sustainable recognition has absolutely nothing to do with her race. Some perfectly reasonable and talented wyte musicians have chosen the path less traveled or gone off their own, personal rails with the predictable, sometimes tragic results that inevitably leaves an eager band of music-lovers either waiting at the church or placing flowers on a grave.

• Like 1

Not so many years ago I used to love black singers when they performed melodic songs with meaningful, non hate-filled lyrics. Now, I refuse to listen to most black music and my car radio goes off as soon as their racket starts. How they can complain about people not respecting it I have no idea. What's to respect?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

These words of the future President of the United States should be taken very seriously.

Yo! Da Kardashian's in da big House!

Are you perhaps confusing a Diddy with a Kanye?

Agree with most of the rest of your post.

The American music industry, like all huge conglomerations in the US, is riddled with corruption, favoritism, politics and is structured to rip off the consumer.

I don't understand Diddy's complaint.  His wealth, mostly accumulated from the music industry, is reputedly $855 million, probably second only to Paul McCartney.  

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The 50-year-old took to the stage to say his peace before encouraging the academy to 'do better.' 

He should be encouraging the artists to make better music.

Don't be playing the old " pity me I'm black " card.

Was it Will Smith spouting off the same the other year about the movie industry.

We have Ian Wright saying the same thing about Football managers in the U.K.

If you want to be recognised , up your game .

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I wonder how many white musicians will be honoured at the MOBO awards this year?

Sam Smith took home 4 MOBO awards in 2014. 

Other winners, Mick Huknell, Justin Timberlake, Amy Winehouse, Eminem, Christina Aguillera....

This year, well, we’ll see. The the MOBO awards have a history of also recognising White artists, and if there aren’t any, well, there just weren’t any good white artists making music of ‘black origin’. Maybe someone will complain about that, but it won’t be any white people, it’ll be someone like ‘Diddy’ complaining that White people aren’t singing enough black songs or something equally daft. 

Your point also becomes even more valid if you were to ask, how many would complain if there were MOWO awards (Music of White Origin). 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Other winners, Mick Huknell, Justin Timberlake, Amy Winehouse, Eminem, Christina Aguillera....

This year, well, we’ll see. The the MOBO awards have a history of also recognising White artists, and if there aren’t any, well, there just weren’t any good white artists making music of ‘black origin’. Maybe someone will complain about that, but it won’t be any white people, it’ll be someone like ‘Diddy’ complaining that White people aren’t singing enough black songs or something equally daft. 

Your point also becomes even more valid if you were to ask, how many would complain if there were MOWO awards (Music of White Origin). 

2020 nominations. Correct me if I'm wrong but I only see black artists on the list.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/mobo-awards-2017-nominations-stormzy-j-hus-a8006441.html

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:
14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

2020 nominations. Correct me if I'm wrong but I only see black artists on the list.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/mobo-awards-2017-nominations-stormzy-j-hus-a8006441.html

Thats terrible... White artists must have stopped writing and playing Music Of Black Origin...   someone will have to protest.

Or, is any of the MOBO music written and played by white artists this year just not good enough for nomination, the same reason for the fewer number of Black Artists nominated at the Grammy’s ??? - Danny, Your point is a highly valid one. 

• Thanks 1

I watched some of it and thought, what the hell happened to music?  That guy with the white prince valiant haircut jumping around on stage?  What the hell was that?  Music?  Holy Elvis Presley Batman.  

9 minutes ago, Airalee said:

And less of this...

Less of Nicki Minaj is a wish half the planet must share. Utterly fed up with her appearing in just about every rap song. But that's what it is these days, huge silicone <deleted> and grillz. 

Edited by DrTuner

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You got me there. They do look all the same though, eh?

(did I just say that out loud?)

From memory, before becoming the voice for black music, Diddy (then named Puff Daddy) was a gangster known for shooting his pistol in a nightclub and putting his then girlfriend, Jennifer Lopez, in the sh---.

Now he's telling others how to run their lives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/28/2020 at 8:42 AM, Old Croc said:

Are you perhaps confusing a Diddy with a Kanye?

Agree with most of the rest of your post.

The American music industry, like all huge conglomerations in the US, is riddled with corruption, favoritism, politics and is structured to rip off the consumer.

I don't understand Diddy's complaint.  His wealth, mostly accumulated from the music industry, is reputedly $855 million, probably second only to Paul McCartney.  

It's not about wealth. They want 'recognition" which means more and more reverse discrimination. Unless every award for anything has a high % of blacks nominated and winning they'll moan, complain and accuse everyone else of discrimination.

Like when Will Smith's missus complained about lack of black Oscar winners - and then pointed out what gifted black actors her husband and son are! 

Now they just can't accept they might not be good enough. No siree! Must be color prejudice.

• Like 1