China Southern Airlines-Cancelled flight to London Heathrow

NotWhatItWasnt

Subject: China Southern Airlines Cancelled my flight to London Heathrow Via Wuhan because of Corona Virus.

Hi Guys,
I need some advice on what to do next, I'm in Thailand and was due to fly back to the UK on February 9th from Bangkok  Suvarnabhumi, to Wuhan and then onto London Heathrow, this is now not possible due to the Corona Virus outbreak and Wuhan being quarantined.

I contacted my Travel Agent, though they seem more interested in getting me a refund & selling me a return flight home.

Questions I have,

Is it possible to get rerouted via  Guangzhou and from there to London Heathrow? (I flew from Heathrow into Guangzhou and then Bangkok on my outward flight) i.e Do airlines do this?

Are China Southern responsible for arranging my return flight or do they just have to refund me and I find and pay for my own flight back to the UK?

If the quarantine is lifted before my original return date of February 9th will my return ticket still be valid?

Would my travel insurance pay for the return ticket back to the UK?

Any answers and suggestions would be of great help and much appreciated.

TIA

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

There are at least 3 direct flights per day via Thai or Eva for like $500, or Aeroflot one stop. WODR, have you ever made a plane reservation before? Try Skyscanner. You are welcome.

And BA of course.

More than 10 onestop flights with Emirates to Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted.

So many more onestop flights with fairly decent airlines.

Departure/arrival times to your choice.

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And BA of course.

More than 10 onestop flights with Emirates to Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted.

So many more onestop flights with fairly decent airlines.

Departure/arrival times to your choice.

I found one once $349 to Frankfurt direct, I would spend two nights in an FKK), quick train to Amsterdam, then jump an English party flight for $100. Im sort of glad I cancelled my ticket out of china, for an exta $60 I'll come back here, fly to Blighty and go watch Millwall.

1 hour ago, NotWhatItWasnt said:

Is it possible to get rerouted via  Guangzhou and from there to London Heathrow? (I flew from Heathrow into Guangzhou and then Bangkok on my outward flight) i.e Do airlines do this?

Some airlines do refunds, some change date, many try to reroute. It would be best to find your booking code and contact the airline directly. If airline agrees, you might be able to reroute. But as you bought ticket from an agent, they'll likely push you back to that agent.

Are China Southern responsible for arranging my return flight or do they just have to refund me and I find and pay for my own flight back to the UK?

Not sure what is written in your contract and what they are responsible for. But if they are willing to engage in conversation, and allow you to make amendment directly, perhaps all you need is going over to their office and finalise it. 02-677-7388, ask for Ms. Juthawan Panthugoon.

If the quarantine is lifted before my original return date of February 9th will my return ticket still be valid?

You can be absolutely calm now. The chances of this being resolved by February 9 are lower than an asteroid landing on your head.

Would my travel insurance pay for the return ticket back to the UK?

Unlikely. They would simply provide you a refund based on whatever it said in the contract. And they'll probably try to find every possible exclusion to avoid even paying that.

• Thanks 1

Good news, got my flight rerouted and didn't cost me anything as stated in the CSA Facebook post.

Notice of China Southern Airlines Ticket Arrangement

Turns out the travel Agents (Mytrip also trading as gotogate.com ) were pulling a fast one by telling me that CSA were not rerouting anyone and only issuing refunds, then trying to get me to accept the refund and buy a new ticket off of them, all this despite my telling them about the facebook post and that I had received emails stating that not only was rerouting possible but also there was no charge to do so, one woman got arsey when I told her this insisting that Mytrip were receiving continuous updates from CSA saying that rerouting was not possible only refunds.  I offered to forward the emails but they were not interested, saying that they only did re bookings over the phone.

Thanks again tomazbodner & Eindhoven

why would you stay with CSA, and it's associated standard in ternal requiremnt to do a stopover in the airline home country

Whatr happens if, by the time of the Flight; that Heathrow has Banned all Flights from all of China!

@Nyezhov & @KhunBENQ have it already nailed... to TAA ... try another airline... 

is there some actual requiremnt - that the StopOver itself, is something you have as your Priority?

They might have put him on another SkyTeam member flight to UK. He didn't state where they rerouted him. I was put on another airline when things went sour many times, but then again I buy tickets directly from airlines. Could have been Air France or KLM for all we know. His ticket would still have CZ flight number, just direct him to another airline counter to check-in.

• Thanks 1