Severe air pollution forces Nok Air flight back to Bangkok

snoop1130

Severe air pollution forces Nok Air flight back to Bangkok

By THE NATION

800_369d77f49fde236.jpg

Pollution in Phrae province reached a very high level, obstructing a Nok Air plane from landing and forcing it to head back to Bangkok.

PM2.5 dust particles today (January 27) were found to be 564 micrograms per cubic meter in the province, while PM10 was 171 micrograms.

The particles were visible, with 191 hotspots, especially in the districts of Long, Song, and Wang Chin. Locals were urged to spray water to protect themselves.

The particles cut visibility, forcing the Nok Air flight back to Don Mueang Airport.

People who wanted to take the 11.30am flight had to head to Chiang Mai or Lam Pang airports to travel by air.

“However, those passengers did not need to buy new tickets to take a new flight,” Nok Air’s manager for Phrae Natcha Chaiyawan said.

She said those who wanted to come to Phrae from Bangkok needed to wait for the 6pm flight.

“The flights tomorrow [Tuesday] will be operated as usual,” she said. “However, if we experience the same problem again, we will do as we did today."

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381143

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-27
  • Confused 1

Better safe than sorry, already three aircraft incidents throughout the world in the last 24 hrs. As an aside, is it only me or do others find the Nok Air paint scheme a little scary? OK I get the image intent, a steam pigeon, but "flames" coming from the cockpit area and then down towards the tail abaft the engines, hmmmm!

Edited by Admiral Hornblower
adding a thought
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I don't know about the movies, but I landed my Cessna 152 many times "under the hood" with less than 40 flying hours.  "The hood" was a mask that obscured all vision out the windows while allowing a student to look at the plane's instruments.  It mimics a situation where you can't see anything outside for the weather.  And I did it at airports without any tower at all.

The regulations may prohibit it under a normal flight, but I'm pretty sure they could have landed safely if they were low on fuel and couldn't see the runway.

I didn’t know Cessna 152 had a radar altimeter and full ILS panel, most unusual...

Regulations also mandate minimum reserves of fuel and alternative airport in submitted flight plan so low fuel emergency should never arise.

1 minute ago, PJPom said:

I didn’t know Cessna 152 had a radar altimeter and full ILS panel, most unusual...

Regulations also mandate minimum reserves of fuel and alternative airport in submitted flight plan so low fuel emergency should never arise.

They didn't.  And that was long before GPS.  Yet I was still able to practice no-visibility landings at Houston Southwest Airport...  Just a strip with no tower...  There was a lot of help from Hobby's tower (HOU)- quite a few miles away.  To be honest, it was so long ago I don't remember the mechanics of it.    Just that, after flying around in a C152, I was never nervous about flying commercial- no matter how bumpy it got.

• Like 1

I remember years back, like the 70s and even early 80s when flying into Los Angeles California after being in a clean air outdoor place like new Hampshire with trees and lakes and stuff, you could of course see the pollution and haze and smog but you could also "smell" it and get the metallic taste on your tongue as the plane went into the area. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Locals were urged to spray water to protect themselves.

And how exactly does that help? Particles this small slip between water droplets. Best get a real big fan and blow it away. Works better!!

All these things they have advised but they either know nothing or cant even use google correctly. 

Best thing really to do would be arrest the illegal fire starters but for some dum reason it will never happen.

This government has doomed its citizens with a push for more sugarcane in the future to fill their desire to use more ethanol based fuels which isnt a good investment when electric vehicles are now a thing which has sadly been taxed ridiculously probably for the same reason.

Dont let me get started on the unhelthy push for more and more sugar....

Further, and still nothing concrete to STOP sugar cane burning. I guess money rules!

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Chrysaora said:

You non-pilots watch too many movies. There is what's called an MDA or minimum decision height.  If you can't see the runway at the MDA you are mandated by law to go around and find an alternate airport to land. 

Only a few airports can land planes with almost no visibility.  The MDA varies by airport.  Instruments can get you to the airport, get you established on the glideslope (localizer) but if at some point, the MDA, you can't see the runway, you can't land.

I suspect they were not allowing departures as well.

Thanks

Sometimes it's enough the explain those non-pilots just the facts like you just did.

And sometimes it would be even better to write those facts directly in the original article to avoid the questions.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And because they couldn't see very far the did not land?

What do they do in bad rain?

I thought they should be able to fly blind just with instruments?

LOL they follow the main roads, couldn't see them.

• Haha 1

Very strange indeed, never heard of a commercial jet having to turn around because of too much pollution in the air.  
If this is normal then China would have cancelled dozens of flights daily...

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just start to get more information about flight safety before posting.

5 minutes ago, Aachen said:
13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just start to get more information about flight safety before posting.

Do you know the meaning of question marks?

People use them to indicate that they are not sure or ask questions.

I didn't write something like: These idiots should use the instruments!

I wrote: "And because they couldn't see very far the did not land?" 

Do you spot the difference?