Ban Pakard... Trouble with valid Non-Imm O visa during border run... 2000 baht added "fee" to receive stamp

7 minutes ago, jimn said:

I agree that your treatment is appalling however the guy does have a point. Doing a border bounce every 90 days although legal is not what its designed for. If you are living here full time, you really should be on an extension of stay based on marriage.

Thanks, my treatment was poor, but the main issue here is that anyone doing the border runs on the marriage visa should expect possible problems at this crossing, in the form of heavy fines.
That's the real reason I'm posting, to warn others. If I didn't have the 2k on me, I would have been sent back to Pattaya empty-handed and headed for an inevitable overstay of at least one day while I tried to get documents in order for the Jomtien immigration, whom probably wouldn't issue an extension if I had already overstayed? 
It would have been a right mess, and probably would have culminated in me needing to go back to Savannakhet post-haste to receive a new Visa.

Edited by thaistuff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jimn said:

Yes I fully understand your point and the IO was totally out of order. I do think though that there is a growing trend especially at the consulates outside Thailand to stop issuing Multi Entry Non O. The UK now only issues single entry and I believe a few other countries as well. I believe the reason they are doing this is to stop people doing exactly what you have been doing and live permanently in Thailand on a multi entry. They want you to get an extension of stay. I predict that at some point all the nearby consualtes in Laos, Vietnam etc will also stop issuing multi entry Non O for the same reason. 

Yes, I have noticed that trend too. The contrast between the process of extending (photos of house, family, wife being present, etc etc) compared to simply turning up on the bus at the border is fairly stark. That disparity needs to be closed, and I don't see the requirements for extension becoming that lax any time soon, which means the border-crossing options will likely become tougher.  

If my experience today is the new norm at this crossing, it means that day has finally come for many in Pattaya. I can get used to doing extensions, but today (and the rest of this week, maybe even month) would have gone a lot differently for me if I didn't have the extra 2k baht in my pocket when the figure was scribbled on a piece of paper and slid across to me earlier. 

Edited by thaistuff
  • Thanks 1

I was always a bit confused why having a O visa, people were still making 90 day border runs. I just assumed they could and would do one year extensions, similar to O visa holders that do retirement extensions but don't make 90 day border runs.  Reading some of the posts above, I think I now understand.

4 hours ago, thaistuff said:

The contrast between the process of extending (photos of house, family, wife being present, etc etc) compared to simply turning up on the bus at the border is fairly stark.

Edited by gk10002000

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

There is one word that describes what happened here : extortion

You were extorted by a border official. It's very illegal for them to do this, the immigration officers should be arrested and sent to prison for these crimes.

Exactly. That's why the OP needs to go to the press and social media to raise awareness. The more people that do, the better.

A type O visa extension for marriage. Ok well you lost me at "making a border run" . Sorry man, but if you have a type O marriage extension for marriage it makes zero sense to make border runs. If I was an immigration official I would be scratching my head, and searching you head to toe, and all your bags as well, and calling cheng wattana for direction.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

What are you talking about? That is exactly what the Non-0 Multiple Entry Visa based on marriage or child in Thailand is designed for. A holder of that type of visa must leave the country every 90 days to get a new stamp. The only choice is to go to immigration and receive a 60 day extension first, but still have to exit and enter for a new permission to stay after that. What can be seen as wrong is that people are doing border bounces, instead of staying outside for one or two nights before renewing their permission to stay.

A multi entry visa allows someone to leave and come back its not meant as replacement to 90 day reporting. It allow someone to travel, home or otherwise, who is living in Thailand with a longterm type O.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

A type O visa extension for marriage. Ok well you lost me at "making a border run" . Sorry man, but if you have a type O marriage extension for marriage it makes zero sense to make border runs. If I was an immigration official I would be scratching my head, and searching you head to toe, and all your bags as well, and calling cheng wattana for direction.

please read the op, he is talking about a visa, not an extension, which only allow a stay of 90 days.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, steve187 said:

please read the op, he is talking about a visa, not an extension, which only allow a stay of 90 days.

He said a type O visa for marriage with multiple re-entry. If married to a Thai and living here, why a 90 day border run? Sorry it made no sense to immigration officials or me either.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

He said a type O visa for marriage with multiple re-entry. If married to a Thai and living here, why a 90 day border run? Sorry it made no sense to immigration officials or me either.

Non-Imm O multi- entry Marriage Visa,

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Discussion is about a VISA, not an Extension of stay.

Please try and keep up.

OP was extorted by a corrupt border immigration official, that's all there was to it.

Should have asked for an official appeal form (TM11).

Edited by BritManToo

36 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

we fly out of thailand at least 6 times spread all over the year, so why waste 1 day at immigration for an extension of stay? Not the same as a border run, yes but still...

• Like 1

I wonder what they would do if you requested to record the transaction on your phone. 

If someone got a recording of just one of these transactions it would pressure them. I suppose the person who recorded it would have to worry about repercusions is the problem. 

1 minute ago, sucit said:

I wonder what they would do if you requested to record the transaction on your phone. 

If someone got a recording of just one of these transactions it would pressure them. I suppose the person who recorded it would have to worry about repercusions is the problem. 

At that border it says no telephones, there's a sign up, so i guess you wouldn't be allowed

• Like 1