Ban Pakard... Trouble with valid Non-Imm O visa during border run... 2000 baht added "fee" to receive stamp

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing new there really. They have been telling people that they have to stay overnight at some Malaysian border crossing for many years. I am not sure that is a Thai immigration requirement. It could be something that Malaysian immigration has been telling them.

No big deal really if your are prepared to stay at least one night. Arrive late stay overnight and return the next morning.

There is a general shift coming to all land borders which will become evident this year. Particularly in the application at the borders and the issuing of these ME Non O visas in Embassy's and consulates.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're not being very honest about the costs now, are you?

1,900bht for the extension, 2,500bht for the re-entry permit, lost interest on the 800,000bht in a Thai bank (let's say 5%). (ignore the bank costs, photocopies, etc as trivial). Dare I mention the compulsory insurance?

So 1,900 + 2,500 + 40,000 = 44,500bht lasts 1 year

Non imm O multi, $200 HCMC return air fare 3,000bht, room for the night 500bht, 4 border runs @ 2,000bht.

6,000 + 3,000 + 500 +8,000 = 17,500bht lasts 15 months

So extension 44,500bht lasts 1 year Vs Non O multi 17,500bht lasts 15 months.

No insurance required for the O extension. If they ever bring that in it will have a massive effect. Not many expats 70+ want to pay 200k-300k a year, with conditions you are likely to claim on excluded

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

At that border it says no telephones, there's a sign up, so i guess you wouldn't be allowed

But someone could just have a phone in their pocket recording the audio and put up the border and agents name.

That would put some serious public heat on these agents and I would even surmise it would be highly possible for entire false fee operations to cease if a post went viral. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sucit said:

But someone could just have a phone in their pocket recording the audio and put up the border and agents name.

That would put some serious public heat on these agents and I would even surmise it would be highly possible for entire false fee operations to cease if a post went viral. 

Problem is it goes all the way up

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Problem is it goes all the way up

Wouldn't that be a good thing? The higher ups would be shown they can't mess with these silly illegal fees they impose, and they would instruct officers as such. 

Edited by sucit

2 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

There is a general shift coming to all land borders which will become evident this year. Particularly in the application at the borders and the issuing of these ME Non O visas in Embassy's and consulates.

yes, but it does not relate to the "marriage" types of Non-O's.  Indeed, the Thai Embassy of Washington DC and all consulates inside the USA have by now discontinued issuing the Non-Imm-O  visa Single and Multi Entry for applicants under the "retirement" purpose

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You're not being very honest about the costs now, are you?

1,900bht for the extension, 2,500bht for the re-entry permit, lost interest on the 800,000bht in a Thai bank (let's say 5%). (ignore the bank costs, photocopies, etc as trivial). Dare I mention the compulsory insurance?

So 1,900 + 2,500 + 40,000 = 44,500bht lasts 1 year

i pay 1900 THB for the yearly extension, 1000 THB for a single re entry permit, and the 800K+ in my Thai bank account earn around 2600 THB interest each year.

This amount wouldn't earn me ANY interest on any bank in my home country.

So i am down to 300 THB in costs, means I get my yearly extension for almost free. 

The 800K+ are good for an emergency, can easily be withdrawn and will fall to my Thai partner in case of my demise

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

yes, but it does not relate to the "marriage" types of Non-O's.  Indeed, the Thai Embassy of Washington DC and all consulates inside the USA have by now discontinued issuing the Non-Imm-O  visa Single and Multi Entry for applicants under the "retirement" purpose

That was done about two years ago or more. Only the honorary consulates had been issuing them for being 50 or over for retirement before then. They must not been doing enough OA visas so cut off the non-o visas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

That was done about two years ago or more. Only the honorary consulates had been issuing them for being 50 or over for retirement before then. They must not been doing enough OA visas so cut off the non-o visas.

i discovered this morning that the consulate in Los Angeles does not issue the Non-O visa for retirement purpose any more. Haven't checked other consulates websites, yet, hoever I think the find would be the same

1 hour ago, jimn said:

Now I have no proof just an opinion, but I fully expect the multi entry Non O to be ceased at some point. 

Exactly! No proof and only an opinion. That as well as you expect something to happen. ????????????

By the way. You also very gracefully avoided to confront your biggest mistake in your earlier post:

12 hours ago, jimn said:

I agree that your treatment is appalling however the guy does have a point. Doing a border bounce every 90 days although legal is not what its designed for. If you are living here full time, you really should be on an extension of stay based on marriage.

At the same time you are using the words "designed for" here, you also used "it allows for" in another post. That´s purely fantastic. Start to present facts instead of dreams and beliefs as well as misleading information.

This is the fact: A Non-0 ME is issued with a valid until date one year after it has been granted. You must leave the country every 90 days or extend your 90 days with another 60 days at an immigration office and then leave the country. As it is valid for 1 year you can then re-enter and stay in Thailand for almost a total period of 17 months excluding travelling out and in every 90 or 150 days. That´s what it allows for and that is in fact the design of this specific type of visa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sucit said:

I think it is very difficult for us to figure out exactly what a non o me was designed for, unless you were a fly on the wall back in the day when the thais came up with the concept.

Seem to recall it was exactly the same to obtain many years ago as the single Non-Imm-O, other than the cost. 

5 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

A multi entry visa allows someone to leave and come back its not meant as replacement to 90 day reporting. It allow someone to travel, home or otherwise, who is living in Thailand with a longterm type O.

Guess what genius. The 1 year extension of stay does not mean you are allowed to live in Thailand.

• Like 1

I would avoid all Cambodian land boarders and stick with Laos as I been doing 90 day in and out on my Non O for 4 straight years using Mukdahan-Savanakhet boarder and never once questioned, quick one minute entry stamp and your back in Thailand.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Around early 2000's he was told to tighten up and insist on having a copy of all relevant documents for the correct visa and, by about 2004-5 he was told he could only issue non O's for the correct categories (marriage, families, etc) with 'retirees' being refused non O's and having to apply for O-A visas.

Odd that, as he sold me one in 2009 for retirement, and I stayed here until June 2010 on it, then I got married and purchased my first marriage extension.

2009.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1