Ban Pakard... Trouble with valid Non-Imm O visa during border run... 2000 baht added "fee" to receive stamp

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Odd that, as he sold me one in 2009 for retirement, and I stayed here until June 2010 on it.

what paperwork did you have to supply with your application?

Was it your first application at Birmingham?

Edited by john terry1001

5 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

what paperwork did you have to supply with your application?

A completed application form stating my reason to visit as 'travel around Thailand', my passport, a photo and a cheque for 125 pounds. (120 pounds for the VISA, 5 pounds for next day return post). I might be a little out with the amounts, it was a long time ago.

I'd applied and received a Tourist VISA from him 4-6 weeks earlier (which was my first trip to Thailand).

Only went back to the UK for a week to dump all my belongings, and say goodbye to my 4 kids.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

A completed application form stating my reason to visit as 'travel around Thailand', my passport, a photo and a cheque for 125 pounds. (120 pounds for the VISA, 5 pounds for next day return post). I might be a little out with the amounts, it was a long time ago.

I can't comment, I can only hazard a guess. Firstly, as you mention £5 postage I assume you didn't actually go into the consulate then, and can't say whether the person issuing the visa was English, his mother or a Thai diplomat from the London Thai Embassy.

5 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

I can't comment, I can only hazard a guess. Firstly, as you mention £5 postage I assume you didn't actually go into the consulate then, and can't say whether the person issuing the visa was English, his mother or a Thai diplomat from the London Thai Embassy.

You said you couldn't get a ME non-o retirement after 2005 from Birmingham, I showed you one dated 2009.

You no longer have any credibility in this thread, and have just joined my ignore list.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, thaistuff said:

I should add that yes, I had already paid the 2300 border run fare with my driver. That covers the Cambodian visa fee.

Haven't you read the many forummers experience in this forum? 

Border run days are over as Thai immigration is closing many loopholes for those who are trying to game the system. There were too many border runners staying long-term on tourist visa.

But I always thought a marriage extension is for a one year period, why is your 'marriage visa' a 90 day only? I'm confused.

Or is that really a tourist visa....

Edited by EricTh

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

But I always thought a marriage extension is for a one year period, why is your 'marriage visa' a 90 day only? I'm confused.

Are you talking about an extension of stay based on marriage or a non O marriage visa? The non O visa based on marriage can either be a SE, valid for 90 days which only allows one single entry into Thailand or  ME which is valid for one year and allows multiple entries during that year .....but... each entry into Thailand cannot exceed 90 days. So, even with a ME non O visa you must do a border run every 90 days.

An extension of stay based on marriage allows you to remain in Thailand for one year without having to leave the country, but you must still report your current address to your local immigration office every 90 days.

• Like 2

So anybody with a brain knows that Cambodia and Malaysia border are a problem, but still go there for visa run ? you just deserve your problems !

I have been to laos and myanmar for the last 10 years without any problem, but maybe I am too smart for the system ?

the 10 previous years I lived on tourist visa also.

Very funny that some MR know all here pretend to teach us what we can do or not with a non o visa hahaha

In a country where cheating is the rule, I am a lot better than the locals to "cheat" the system, and I am proud of it.

I have never been a doggy follower who obeys stupid rules, I let it to all obedient sexpats scare to lose the little things that they own after a hard life working hahahaha....

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

OP has 1 year Multi entry Non-o VISA to visit his wife, allows as many 90 day entries as you like in a year.

Learn the difference between a 'VISA' and an 'extension' then you won't be so confused.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

Guess what genius. The 1 year extension of stay does not mean you are allowed to live in Thailand.

The one-year extension of temporary stay allows the foreigner to stay (Thai: อยู่) in Thailand for that period and to be alive, ie live, during that entire period.

For the marriage extension I write "live with my Thai wife" on the line "Reason for extension" on the application form for the extension.

11 hours ago, johnmell said:

Must be quite a big revenue source from these one year visas.5,000 baht in Savannakhet and 200 USD in Ho Chi Minh City, plus 1,900 baht for any 60 day extensions, as opposed to 1,900 baht for one year extension.

Your forgetting tying up 400k in a bank account. But that doesn't fit your post really does it

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only for 2 months out of the year. There is also a option to prove 40k baht of income.

3 or 4 months in Chiang mai, as you need it in the bank 2 months before you apply, and they don't let you take it out until after your passport is stamped with the new extension.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jimn said:

Thank you for your confrontational post in an amicable discussion I was having with the OP. As it happens I disagree with your comments. The Non O based on marriage is not designed for someone living in Thailand with his wife and family. The clue here is that it cannot be obtained within but only outside Thailand. It is designed for someone visiting the wife and family not living here full time, I think the OP is aware of that. The correct way to live here with wife and family full time is an extension of stay based on marriage. Now I have no proof just an opinion, but I fully expect the multi entry Non O to be ceased at some point. 

Why should it be ceased? As others have stated it gives multi entries of up to 90 days each during its validity. For someone who does not live in Thailand but has family here and visits frequently it seems to be the perfect and quite correct vehicle. Border bouncing the same day, even if everyone including Thai immigration has been turning a blind eye to it for decades is not what it is for. But the OP being asked to cough up 2000 baht off the books for that blind eye is indeed a flagrant case of tea money to make it happen. The OP should have been allowed to do it, as he was, but warned never again.

A night or two out is not very hard. For example an EU Schengen visas can also allow multi entries but but once you have used up 90 days you cannot return for a further 90 days to any EU country. That is hard!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Refusing visas and entries to the kingdom isn't restricting spouses from seeing each other.

The Thai is free to leave and stay with their spouse in another country.

Why should a Thai person have to leave their own country; sell their home; pull their children out of school to see their husband and live together.

You might want to read Article 16 of the UN Declaration of Rights to which Thailand is a signatory and review the Thai Constitution.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

Are you talking about an extension of stay based on marriage or a non O marriage visa? The non O visa based on marriage can either be a SE, valid for 90 days which only allows one single entry into Thailand or  ME which is valid for one year and allows multiple entries during that year .....but... each entry into Thailand cannot exceed 90 days. So, even with a ME non O visa you must do a border run every 90 days.

An extension of stay based on marriage allows you to remain in Thailand for one year without having to leave the country, but you must still report your current address to your local immigration office every 90 days.

Wow! I didn't know there are 3 types of visas based on marriage, I've always thought there is only one type.

So the first two are actually called marriage visa and not tourist visa?

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Why should a Thai person have to leave their own country; sell their home; pull their children out of school to see their husband and live together.

You might want to read Article 16 of the UN Declaration of Rights to which Thailand is a signatory and review the Thai Constitution.

A  bit overboard and an hysterical reaction to something that can be easily resolved by using an extension of stay.

The O/P said he didn't feel like getting an annual extension. I doubt that getting an extension of stay, which is used by most farang with Thai spouses, is so onerous that it will merit a special session of the UN for human rights violation.

The choice to do multi entry visas for years is his. He may feel inconvenienced if he did extensions of stay, but it doesn't oblige anyone to sell houses or to deny children an education or any of the nonsense you mentioned.

Edited by Suradit69

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Wow! I didn't know there are 3 types of visas based on marriage, I've always thought there is only one type.

So the first two are actually called marriage visa and not tourist visa?

It just goes to show that you thought wrong. There are 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa which is only valid for 90 days from date of application and then you can apply for an extension based on retirement or based on marriage then there is the Non-Imm "O" multi entry marriage visa which is valid for 1 year from date of application

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

It just goes to show that you thought wrong. There are 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa which is only valid for 90 days from date of application and then you can apply for an extension based on retirement or based on marriage then there is the Non-Imm "O" multi entry marriage visa which is valid for 1 year from date of application

Let me guess.

There is no financial requirement for non-O multiple entry visa other than the 1900 baht fee.

Whereas a 1 year extension would require applicant to deposit 400,000 baht in the bank.

That's why the OP didn't choose the second option???

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Let me guess.

There is no financial requirement for non-O multiple entry visa other than the 1900 baht fee.

Whereas a 1 year extension would require applicant to deposit 400,000 baht in the bank.

That's why the OP didn't choose the second option???

5000 baht at Savannakhet

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I was always a bit confused why having a O visa, people were still making 90 day border runs. I just assumed they could and would do one year extensions, similar to O visa holders that do retirement extensions but don't make 90 day border runs.  Reading some of the posts above, I think I now understand.

Loads of people on ME 90 days Non-O Visas doesn't meet the requirements for a Non-O Visa with annual extensions.