Prosecutors explain why no murder charge yet filed in Billy’s disappearance

webfact

Prosecutors explain why no murder charge yet filed in Billy’s disappearance

Billy-BW1.jpg

The widow of missing Karen rights activist Porlajee “Billy” Rakchongcharoen today appealed to the attorney-general for justice, after the Office of Special Cases clarified why it had dropped all charges, except one for malfeasance, against former Kaeng Krachan national park chief Chaiwat Limlikhit-akson and three other ex-park officials.

At a press conference, held at the Office of the Attorney-General today, Mr. Prayut Petchkhun, special prosecutor and deputy spokesman for the OAG, said that the evidence from the Department of Special Investigation was insufficient to substantiate all except the malfeasance charge.

Eight charges were filed against Mr. Chaiwat and his subordinates, namely Boontaen Busarakham, Thanaseth, or Paithoon Chaemthet, and Krissanong Chitthet.  They include premediated murder with an attempt to cover up the offence, illegal detention intended to deprive other people of physical freedom, robbery, coercion and concealment of the murder.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/prosecutors-explain-why-no-murder-charge-yet-filed-in-billys-disappearance/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

after the Office of Special Cases clarified why it had dropped all charges, except one for malfeasance

Yep, this is going to be the classical 500 baht fine at the end.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, canopy said:

Although the bone fragments found in a burned oil drum in the river near the Kaeng Krachan Bridge matched DNA samples from Billy’s mother, the special prosecutors ruled that this did not prove the bone fragments belonged to Billy.

Really?

Is DNA the focal point of this investigation? I wonder what the 2 Burmese (Myanmar) lads on death row must be thinking!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This is disgusting. In fact it makes me sick and yet there are people on here constantly defending Thailand's current regime and attack like a pack of rabid soi dogs anyone who criticises anything Thai. This whole episode is why people will always look down on Thailand as nothing more than a 3rd world country. So sad and to my fellow expats who support or are of the above elk I really do pity you and your moral compuss is in real need of adjustment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fingers crossed, but not holding my breath:

The Department of Special Investigation will consider, within a month, whether to challenge the prosecutors’ decision to drop all but one of the charges against former Kaeng Krachan national park officials in connection with the disappearance and suspected murder of Karen rights activist Porlajee “Billy” Rakchongcharoen.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/dsi-to-take-a-month-deciding-whether-to-challenge-prosecutor-on-billys-case/

On 1/28/2020 at 6:13 AM, Somtamnication said:

No charges because higher ups do not want them. Very simple answer.

Interesting to note that the case against the former senior police officer, former PTP politician, who was involved in the very odd death of his millionaire 'friend" in a car crash, in which he the driver was unhurt; and involved in seemingly fraudulent share transfers to young women, one of whom was pregnant by him despite his swearing not to know her; was also dropped by the local prosecutors office.

Seems the prosecutors are very thorough in their scrutiny of evidence presented by the investigators !! 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Scot123 said:

This is disgusting. In fact it makes me sick and yet there are people on here constantly defending Thailand's current regime and attack like a pack of rabid soi dogs anyone who criticises anything Thai. This whole episode is why people will always look down on Thailand as nothing more than a 3rd world country. So sad and to my fellow expats who support or are of the above elk I really do pity you and your moral compuss is in real need of adjustment. 

Are you suggesting this happened since 2014? Or that there were no such things happening before that date?

Wake up - it's always been the same and always will be.

• Confused 1

For the domestic audience this plays fine. Karen are not regarded as Thai however many generations they have been in the Kingdom and this was a jumped up Karen who dared to challenge senior government officials and complain about their cruel mistreatment of his people. 

The only minority group that gets respect in Thailand are the Chinese because they have money.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 6:56 AM, canopy said:

Although the bone fragments found in a burned oil drum in the river near the Kaeng Krachan Bridge matched DNA samples from Billy’s mother, the special prosecutors ruled that this did not prove the bone fragments belonged to Billy.

Really?

Burning bodies in oil drums was always Thailand's traditional way of dealing with dissidents.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2019/09/05/opinion-thailands-burnt-drum-killings-then-and-now/

Lots of interesting reading to be found on "Red drum killings".

http://asiaprovocateur.blogspot.com/2014/06/roasting-people-alive-thai-armys-red.html

Edited by BritManToo