Trump's 'massive' U.S.-UK trade deal faces big hurdles

webfact

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

Sell street food, no problem, just make sure all your waste water etc gets poured into the nearest drain or gutter, adds to the aroma.

????????

The UK doesn't need this unregulated behaviour. 

The UK is cold and boring. One reason there are so many UK expats in Thailand.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The only people with any impact on the outcome of the UK/US trade ‘negotiations’ are the people doing the negotiations, non of whom are members of TVF, Remainers or Brexit Naysayers.

I understand and agree with the TVF bit, but the other two caviats,

how do you go about ensuring that?

the work is done by a bunch of civil servants - not politicians

43 minutes ago, transam said:

Doesn't matter when I travelled, you said the UK is boring, so, tell me why, I mean you have been out of the UK for 32 years and you can say it is boring, tell all...

I've made my points regarding this topic loads of times in other posts and it's irrelevant to this thread but to sum up:

UK is overregulated, cost of setting up a new business is prohibitive. There are so many laws covering every aspect of life.

I had to leave my flat because the authorities said my flat did not have enough natural light, I was happy there! Big Brother.

Daily street life is boring. No vendors, markets are few and and far between. Compare this to the bustling street life of Thailand.

I was in the UK in April. The shop at the London railway station had no cashier, just a machine. Shopping is not just a financial transaction, it's a social experience too, a chat here and there, especially when you're a regular customer. I don't think exchanging small talk with the machine would have elicited any response.

The inhospitable weather means people are forced to spend a lot of their time inside behind closed windows and doors. Isolation.

There is so much loneliness the government had to set a strategy to deal with it. public benches, for example where those who sit there can talk freely to strangers!

Don't get me wrong, I love English people. i've still got good friends there. but living there from November to April? Na!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-launches-governments-first-loneliness-strategy

• Like 1

Mnuchin and Kudlow: Hey, Donald, you've got to give the British what they want on this deal. It'll cement a trade bloc against China and maybe the EU.

Trump: No. Never. I love Tim Apple. Google is my friend. And Zuckerberg is helping me with my reelection. I'll never let those UKers apply a digital tax on my friends!

Kudlow: But Donald. If you give in and give the Brits what they want, you could get an extra 750 to 1000 points on the DOW!!!

Trump: Duh, yep, yep, yep. Duh, okay. Send it through!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, bannork said:

I've made my points regarding this topic loads of times in other posts and it's irrelevant to this thread but to sum up:

UK is overregulated, cost of setting up a new business is prohibitive. There are so many laws covering every aspect of life.

I had to leave my flat because the authorities said my flat did not have enough natural light, I was happy there! Big Brother.

Daily street life is boring. No vendors, markets are few and and far between. Compare this to the bustling street life of Thailand.

I was in the UK in April. The shop at the London railway station had no cashier, just a machine. Shopping is not just a financial transaction, it's a social experience too, a chat here and there, especially when you're a regular customer. I don't think exchanging small talk with the machine would have elicited any response.

The inhospitable weather means people are forced to spend a lot of their time inside behind closed windows and doors. Isolation.

There is so much loneliness the government had to set a strategy to deal with it. public benches, for example where those who sit there can talk freely to strangers!

Don't get me wrong, I love English people. i've still got good friends there. but living there from November to April? Na!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-launches-governments-first-loneliness-strategy

You still haven't told me how the UK is boring...????.....Just a load of personal not likes..

Plus, you seem to think the UK is the only place with a winter, in fact the UK winters are way better than many countries, but I suppose those countries are boring too, eh...????

45 minutes ago, bannork said:

And that 15 month old link starts "Prime Minister Theresa May launches Government’s first loneliness strategy."

That woman was relieved of her premiership and we now have the Bullingdon Boy in charge who is reversing a lot of her plans.

9 hours ago, bannork said:

The 'special relationship' will sour and the UK will have to go back to the EU, begging to be let in, the silly fools.

why don't the remainers just quit all the UK will crawl back to EU etc. etc. etc.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, transam said:

You still haven't told me how the UK is boring...????.....Just a load of personal not likes..

Plus, you seem to think the UK is the only place with a winter, in fact the UK winters are way better than many countries, but I suppose those countries are boring too, eh...????

There is no street life compared to Thailand. Walk down a high street in the UK, housewives pushing prams against the wind, old people struggling with their shopping. Dullllllllll. Where are the vendors? Where are the stalls?

There are too many laws- can't paint your house this colour, can't take a hot drink on a coach, coach can't stop a few yards from the bus stop.Borrrrrrring.

Dull grey skies, not even any decent snow. Drizzle. Drip, drip.

Personally I would avoid any country with a winter.

So when are you moving back Trans? Back to funsville. Surely you should be there on Friday to celebrate the UK's wake?

Edited by bannork

9 hours ago, webfact said:

the Trump administration threatened to tax foreign car imports, which could hit British-made Jaguar, Land Rover,

While these cars are manufactured by British labour, isn't the carmaker Tata Motors of India?

So in effect wouldn't Trump be starting a trade war with India?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bannork said:

There is no street life compared to Thailand. Walk down a high street in the UK, housewives pushing prams against the wind, old people struggling with their shopping. Dullllllllll. Where are the vendors? Where are the stalls?

There are too many laws- can't paint your house this colour, can't take a hot drink on a coach, coach can't stop a few yards from the bus stop.Borrrrrrring.

Dull grey skies, not even any decent snow. Drizzle. Drip, drip.

Personally I would avoid any country with a winter.

So when are you moving back Trans? Back to funsville. Surely you should be there on Friday to celebrate the UK's wake?

I reckon the UK is well rid of you. 

????????????

Edited by roo860

38 minutes ago, steve187 said:

why don't the remainers just quit all the UK will crawl back to EU etc. etc. etc.

I think what we're experiencing is simply the consequence of a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face and inability to admit being wrong. MInd you, these are the same people who were dead certain that the people of UK would stop Brexit.

It's simply a game of grasping the next straw.

• Like 2

There never has been a 'special relationship' that the media imagines. Each country has its own agenda.

Just a question... British made or British owned auto producers. The UK produces cars, but most of the companies are foreign owned.

But then, the number of auto makers in the UK is reducing, as Honda are closing their Swindon facility.

9 hours ago, Tug said:

I’m sad to see the U.K. in such a poor bargaining position when dealing with trump my advice would be to wait for change in 2020 if possible or offer Donald some shiney gong to stoke his ego otherwise he will try to extort your country

As amusing as your post is I think it is not far off of the mark. Surely best to wait until Trump is gone and then try and broker a deal that is acceptable to the UK. At the moment Trump will just see the UK as being in weak position and screw us as hard as he can.  It then depends on how desperate Johnson is to sign, at least, some sort of trade deal no matter how bad. 

21 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

While these cars are manufactured by British labour, isn't the carmaker Tata Motors of India?

Not started. Expanding:

Trump doubles down on trade war with India

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/trump-doubles-down-on-trade-war-with-india/2019/06/27/9bc4a64c-98a1-11e9-a027-c571fd3d394d_story.html

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

India can always move their car production to a country or group of countries, which have more power during trade negotiations and where their manufacturing interests are better protected than in the UK. 

The irony of this is, those countries are such as Poland and Bulgaria. 

• Like 2