Trump's 'massive' U.S.-UK trade deal faces big hurdles

webfact

21 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

There never has been a 'special relationship' that the media imagines. Each country has its own agenda.

Just a question... British made or British owned auto producers. The UK produces cars, but most of the companies are foreign owned.

But then, the number of auto makers in the UK is reducing, as Honda are closing their Swindon facility.

I wonder when other manufacturers start to move their assets, factory production lines, automation robots, tools etc. to EU countries. 

These companies have until end of this year to move the assets without having to pay import taxes to the EU. Well, perhaps EU countries can waive those taxes, in case the companies move whole factories even after the transition period? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jany123 said:

Hopefully Britain will get a star on the flag and representation in Washington... no tax without representation, an all that ????

One thing I've never understood about the early American settlers is why they called their new settlements after towns in the old country- New York, Birmingham, Bristol, Hull etc. I wonder if there is a Goole or Scunthorpe.

Whether they left Europe because of religious persecution or in the hope of a better life, why constantly remind themselves of the very place they had left? 

A new land, a new life. surely a new name?

4 hours ago, transam said:

Boring is an individuals perception of virtually anything. So, up to you if you find the UK boring eh...???? 

i thought 'up to you' (tone falling on the last syllable) was an expression that had been patented by Thai ladies married to farang men, usually in response to the man doubting some explanation by his wife as to her recent whereabouts, etc.

4 hours ago, transam said:

Boring is an individuals perception of virtually anything. So, up to you if you find the UK boring eh...???? 

Ask yourself this question: Why would anyone want to move to live in UK?

You'll get lots of ideas like 'good salary', 'job security', 'good education', 'NHS!!!'. 

After you filter out all of those answers inside of your mind, which are all boring, what you end up with? 

images (18).jpeg

10 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I wonder if the people of the UK are actually aware of the level of contamination and adulteration of US food products? Under EU regulations the UK was party to the ban on the use of  or import of food containing a  variety of known or suspect chemicals. US  citizens  may believe in the FDA  but 85% of processed foods produced in the US contain GMO's which the FDA does not require any safety testing on !

Good luck then to the UK if they are so willing to be reverse colonized  by the US.

UK citizens can make up their own minds on what to eat and what not to eat. If they object to food products from the US they won't buy them. 

And I think some 5 million UK citizens visit the US each year.  Do you think they all take packed lunches with them to avoid eating the local food? 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, bannork said:

I wouldn't be seen dead in Pattaya unless the hearse had done a 600 km detour.

It's all going to end in tears for the 'oven made', ' 30 free trade deals ready to sign the day after we leave the EU'.

And now the Japanese have said no trade deal with the UK until the trade deals between the UK and EU are settled first.

Get back to the EU, boys.

I believe the UK and Japan are actually seeking a more ambitious trade deal than the EU / Japan EPA. And furthermore: 

1. The government is seeking continuity for our existing EU trade agreements as we leave the European Union 

2. UK trade with countries party to trade agreements with which we are seeking continuity accounted for £146.6 billion or 11.1% of UK’s total trade (goods and services) in 2018.

3. Agreements have now been signed with countries that account for 74.6% of the UK’s trade in 2018 with countries with which we are seeking continuity. 

4. This means we have already secured continuity on £109.4 billion of UK trade. That has moved from £40.9 billion since March.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-trade-agreement-continuity-statistics-and-analysis/uk-trade-with-trade-agreement-continuity-tac-countries-statistical-ad-hoc-release

14 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I believe the UK and Japan are actually seeking a more ambitious trade deal than the EU / Japan EPA. And furthermore: 

1. The government is seeking continuity for our existing EU trade agreements as we leave the European Union 

2. UK trade with countries party to trade agreements with which we are seeking continuity accounted for £146.6 billion or 11.1% of UK’s total trade (goods and services) in 2018.

3. Agreements have now been signed with countries that account for 74.6% of the UK’s trade in 2018 with countries with which we are seeking continuity. 

4. This means we have already secured continuity on £109.4 billion of UK trade. That has moved from £40.9 billion since March.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-trade-agreement-continuity-statistics-and-analysis/uk-trade-with-trade-agreement-continuity-tac-countries-statistical-ad-hoc-release

Your numbers seems to be all over the place. I'm not going to debug those numbers, but simple google search gave this.

I guess you mean that UK has now secured 74.6% of her trade, which includes the transition period of 2020 with EU?

How much trade is secured 11 months from now, when transition period with EU ends, in 2021?

92660780_ScreenShot2020-01-28at20_35_54.png.c96c57fced945f55e9294a9fdb8eb988.png

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN02815

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Maybe ask the 2.7 million EU citizens who have applied for Settled Status in the UK? 

The question was: Is UK boring. Not whether some immigrants saw beneficial for them to live in the UK and make money, to be returned back to their home countries later on.

24 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The government is seeking continuity for our existing EU trade agreements as we leave the European Union - The EU have stated repeatedly, once you are out of the Union you cannot expect the same benefits. Otherwise, why join? There has to be benefits to joining a club, and there has to be rules. 

Common sense innit?

Look at the amount of UK trade with the EU.

We need them far more than they need us. The UK will have to bend. Already there is talk of surrendering UK fishing rights to the EU in exchange for access to the EU for UK services.

Fishermen sold down the North Sea.

Uk trade wit the world.jpg

Edited by bannork

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

image.png.300b3706396a9b0adc3ff32006f02574.pnghttps://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-trade-agreement-continuity-statistics-and-analysis/uk-trade-with-trade-agreement-continuity-tac-countries-statistical-ad-hoc-release

1 hour ago, TheDark said:

You'll get lots of ideas like 'good salary', 'job security', 'good education', 'NHS!!!'. 

After you filter out all of those answers inside of your mind, which are all boring, what you end up with? 

images (18).jpeg

I would have been funnier if the note read "Five Pundits"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zydeco said:

Why are the people in the UK worried? Trump folds on everything. Surrendered to Mexico and Canada. Surrendered to Japan. Surrendered to Germany on auto tariffs earlier. Surrendered to China. He'll surrender to you, too.

Where there is a wig , there is a way...

Edited by elliss

1 hour ago, bannork said:

The government is seeking continuity for our existing EU trade agreements as we leave the European Union - The EU have stated repeatedly, once you are out of the Union you cannot expect the same benefits. Otherwise, why join? There has to be benefits to joining a club, and there has to be rules. 

Common sense innit?

We need them far more than they need us. The UK will have to bend. Already there is talk of surrendering UK fishing rights to the EU in exchange for access to the EU for UK services.

I was referring to the trade deals we had via the EU, not with the EU

Common sense innit?

My point is, we have managed to make agreements with most of those countries with whom we had trade deals via the EU already. A trade deal with the EU will be made too. It's in both parties' interests. 

Already there is talk of surrendering UK fishing rights to the EU in exchange for access to the EU for UK services.

Talk from the pessimists maybe, and posturing from the opposition. We haven't even started negotiations with the EU, so these predictions are pointless. 

Do you not think the EU want access to London's huge global financial services sector? 

6 hours ago, bannork said:

I've made my points regarding this topic loads of times in other posts and it's irrelevant to this thread but to sum up:

UK is overregulated, cost of setting up a new business is prohibitive. There are so many laws covering every aspect of life.

I had to leave my flat because the authorities said my flat did not have enough natural light, I was happy there! Big Brother.

Daily street life is boring. No vendors, markets are few and and far between. Compare this to the bustling street life of Thailand.

I was in the UK in April. The shop at the London railway station had no cashier, just a machine. Shopping is not just a financial transaction, it's a social experience too, a chat here and there, especially when you're a regular customer. I don't think exchanging small talk with the machine would have elicited any response.

The inhospitable weather means people are forced to spend a lot of their time inside behind closed windows and doors. Isolation.

There is so much loneliness the government had to set a strategy to deal with it. public benches, for example where those who sit there can talk freely to strangers!

Don't get me wrong, I love English people. i've still got good friends there. but living there from November to April? Na!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-launches-governments-first-loneliness-strategy

The UK is not boring, it is certain people that are boring. Life is what you make it, constantly running down your country is very boring. If you want entertainment delivered to your door, it won't happen, sometimes you need to find amusement yourself. 

8 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Do you not think the EU want access to London's huge global financial services sector? 

Perhaps you could educate me and others of this?

What is the benefit for EU to have access to London's financial sector? I though the benefit of the access was the other way around. 

12 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Perhaps you could educate me and others of this?

What is the benefit for EU to have access to London's financial sector? I though the benefit of the access was the other way around. 

London is second only to New York as a global financial hub.  London had been the number one exporter of financial services for decades, but NY took over recently due to uncertainty over Brexit. That uncertainty is now dissipating. 

Of course, London will want EU entities to have continued access to it's services, but more importantly the EU is not going to deprive it's member states of access to London's financial services. 

25 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

London is second only to New York as a global financial hub.  London had been the number one exporter of financial services for decades, but NY took over recently due to uncertainty over Brexit. That uncertainty is now dissipating. 

Of course, London will want EU entities to have continued access to it's services, but more importantly the EU is not going to deprive it's member states of access to London's financial services. 

Yes, London is the number 2 in the world for financial services. City makes a lot of money for UK.

Now explain to me, why EU would want UK service sector to have access to EU's internal financial sector, when it can simply omit the functions and offer the services and the profits itself.

London used it's status as being part of the EU for it's benefit. There were and there still is no restrictions for London to access EU markets. This very special status and access changes after 11 months for there is going to be pure no-deal Brexit. 

1a13b493-7a88-4153-b9df-73a78c598b66.png.cdc8db3fcb66c9ab66ca1823acb106f6.png

Graph source: https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN02815

Edited by TheDark

1 hour ago, TheDark said:

Yes, London is the number 2 in the world for financial services. City makes a lot of money for UK.

Now explain to me, why EU would want UK service sector to have access to EU's internal financial sector, when it can simply omit the functions and offer the services and the profits itself.

London used it's status as being part of the EU for it's benefit. There were and there still is no restrictions for London to access EU markets. This very special status and access changes after 11 months for there is going to be pure no-deal Brexit. 

1a13b493-7a88-4153-b9df-73a78c598b66.png.cdc8db3fcb66c9ab66ca1823acb106f6.png

Graph source: https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN02815

London, New York and Hong Kong are and have historically been the 3 main financial hubs, for many reasons (not because of the EU). That will not change. 

I don't really understand what you're asking. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheDark said:

images (18).jpeg

You can play Bridge if you want, you can shove a V8 in a Morris Marina, you can bet on the horses or play Bingo, in fact in the UK, the place is full of stuff for a non-boring life, in my long UK life I most certainly got involved with non-boring stuff... ????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Talk from the pessimists maybe, and posturing from the opposition. We haven't even started negotiations with the EU, so these predictions are pointless. 

Actually, you've got it in reverse. The question should be, do not you think London's huge global financial service sector wants access to the EU? Keep in mind that the most of the major players in the London sector are actually owned by American firms.

• Haha 1