Scottish Settlement Visa - the better, cheaper alternative

OK, so it's only a SNP wish to have devolved immigration powers and likely to fall on Boris's cloth ears. However, the undeniably better quality of life north of the border is the stuff of legend and probably close to the core of many a Sassenach's wish for Scotland just to go away.

"Nicola Sturgeon has called for Scotland to have its own visa and immigration strategy to deal with the country’s falling birth rate and the impacts of Brexit. ... Holyrood would scrap the hefty application fees, salary threshold and employer sponsorship required by the Home Office, she said. This regional model is already used by Canadian provinces and Australian states."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/27/nicola-sturgeon-calls-for-scotland-own-immigration-powers-brexit

"Come on doon, the water's lovely!"

Having lived in Scotland for 10 years i can confirm it can rain every day, sideways rain, umbrellas don't last long. There is a reason the Scots are so white. Not a place to be in the winter when it gets dark at 3.30pm. Children have to take Vit D supplements because of the lack of sun light

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Having lived in Scotland for 10 years i can confirm it can rain every day, sideways rain, umbrellas don't last long. There is a reason the Scots are so white. Not a place to be in the winter when it gets dark at 3.30pm. Children have to take Vit D supplements because of the lack of sun light

Aye, Dundee is an awfy sad wee place. You should have gotten out bit more.

Check out Tanera Mor if you have a chance. It's in the Summer Isles (now there's a clue!)

The natural Scots palor is peely wally or 'pale blue' as Billy Connolly famously advised.

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

"Nicola Sturgeon has called for Scotland to have its own visa and immigration strategy to deal with the country’s falling birth rate

Maybe if they started to wear something warm under the kilt the birth rate might increase.

(Yes, I know, there's nothing worn under the kilt - It's all in perfect working order)

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Aye, Dundee is an awfy sad wee place. You should have gotten out bit more.

Check out Tanera Mor if you have a chance. It's in the Summer Isles (now there's a clue!)

The natural Scots palor is peely wally or 'pale blue' as Billy Connolly famously advised.

Yes scumdee, only visited on business and got out quick. Certainly some nice places in Scotland but it's the weather, just admit it

4 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Maybe if they started to wear something warm under the kilt the birth rate might increase.

(Yes, I know, there's nothing worn under the kilt - It's all in perfect working order)

Good points well made there, thanks. But aren't there also similar risks associated with overcooking the eggs?

The scientists among us (you know who you are) can jump in here with their solutions, keeping in mind that said solution definitely shouldn't be clear.

Which brings us round to the other probable cause(s) of the Jockinese's alleged declining birth rate; maybe they simply aren't doing it enough? Before the advent of television, the propensity to do what we could to keep warm on long, cold and dark winter nights (and shorter, cold and dark summer ones) prevailed. Indeed, NL's mum came from a brood of (about) 15 whose births were firmly wedged in the media-challenged, good old days between the World Wars. Her father (my grandfather), a farmer who was obviously a bit more prolific at breeding than the cows he herded (please note: cows, not sheep) claimed, albeit unscientifically, that the tipping point for highland birth rate decline can be precisely defined to the date when the BBC opened their 'black-and-white' television station at Rosemarkie in 1957. Whew! I guess I just made it, eh? Absolutely no hope after the ITV's similar erection nearby a few years later.

Or, if they are doing it, maybe they're not doing it properly? That's maybe where the subtle bedroom seduction skills of the Latin or the exotic pre-coitus rubbing and maneuvering of the southern Asiatic needs to be imported to bolster the increasingly less attractive or effective nuance of the traditional keepie-up, aka 'knee-trembler' up against the back wall of the hen house... with your wee brother acting as look out?

I'm sure this has been the main thrust of Miss Sturgeon's Scottish immigration research rather than some flustered straw clutching at the last vestiges of the Remain argument.

Archived