Pattaya: Fake news! No truth to online rumors that coronavirus cases found in resort

webfact

Pattaya: Fake news! No truth to online rumors that coronavirus cases found in resort

2pm.jpg

Thai caption: Don't believe the rumors

Picture: Channel 7

The Banglamung district chief and Pattaya area health officials have reacted swiftly to online rumors about the coronavirus being found in the city. 

Channel 7 reported that the public and tourists were spooked after reports of a Bang Lamung ambulance being sterilized after carrying three people with the virus and also other reports of people with the virus in the Pattaya area. 

District chief Amnat Charoensri said there was no one in the area with the virus. Checks had been made since 10th January and the public could be confident.

He said that they would continue to be very vigilant. 

Local health official Somphon Jittireuangkiat confirmed that the online posts were not true and that a picture of a health worker in a full protective body suit was just a preventative measure. 

There was also no truth to the rumor that hospital staff had initiated the posts, he said. 

Source: Channel 7

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-28
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Considering the thousands and thousands of Chinese travellers going around the world everyday, it seems the possibilities of running into an infected person are somewhere between zero and not-a-chance-in-hell.
Maybe less than that.

Maybe so, but I will be staying away from 7/11's and Family Marts in Central Pattaya, until this passes, because if you were to run into an infected Chinese person here, that's where it would be.  ????

18 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Maybe so, but I will be staying away from 7/11's and Family Marts in Central Pattaya, until this passes, because if you were to run into an infected Chinese person here, that's where it would be.  ????

According to the Wuhan Nurse on YouTube, there are 90,000 infections across China. There's a very high chance that infected Chinese tourist are arriving in Thailand.

#BringoutyourDead. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Considering the thousands and thousands of Chinese travellers going around the world everyday, it seems the possibilities of running into an infected person are somewhere between zero and not-a-chance-in-hell.
Maybe less than that.

As Talking Heads said: Stop Making Sense.

I've been trying for almost a week. They didn't read in on Twitter or Facebook or some lurid tabloid so it won't be believed, and I'm in China.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The majority of the Chinese tourists going to Thailand (or anywhere else) are not coming from the infected areas so the chances are slim that many of them are carrying the virus.

In fact, of the known (8) cases in Thailand so far, 7 were Chinese tourists that came from Wuhan and one was a Thai woman who had returned from a visit to Wuhan. Most of the Chinese tourists coming to Thailand are not from Wuhan. Thinking they all come from the same place would be like saying the most of the expats in Thailand all come from Little ShagMySister in the Moors (not far from Draycott in the Moors I think).

And of those 8 cases, I believe 5 have tested clean (having fully recovered) and the other 3 are simply under observation. Once they've recovered they won't be infectious and probably will be immune to that virus in the future. 
Though the virus tends to mutate (quickly) and they could become infected with a different strain of the same virus in the future.

Just like the flu virus which mutates constantly which is why people have to get flu shots each year. But the shots they normally give are created on what the doctors think is the most prevalent strain of the season's new flu viruses.
That is why some people still get the flu even though they got a flu shot. 

For example, in Canada doctors may decide that it looks like the XY339 strain will be the biggest threat this year based on testing in Quebec and Ontario so they make the vaccines (flu shots) based on that. Basically they ignore all other strains that may have shown up in the testing and go for the one they think will be the biggest threat.

You get your shot and think you are safe, but you're in Vancouver and get exposed to the YX933 strain that 50 planeloads of people from Hong Kong, Taiwan and Manila brought with them. You get the flu and are upset because the shot didn't work. (And then next year it's the opposite and you still end up getting a flu because you got a shot meant to counter the prevalent strain on the West Coast and then run into one person who came from the East Coast and just happened to be sick with a different variant.)

I gave up on getting flu shots when I was in Canada and in the 20+ years since then I think I've been sick 3 times and 2 of those times was in Afghanistan.

Also remember, these kinds of viruses will usually have little effect on the average, healthy person besides the usual flu symptoms, even if you aren't in great shape.
The ones that are most affected tend to be the elderly, the very young and those with pre-existing ailments like lung cancer or an autoimmune disease. (That is why 5 of the 8 people identified in Thailand as being infected have already been cleared and gone home.)

Also remember that in order to get infected you'd literally have to be next to someone who is already infected and is coughing or sneezing close enough to you that you could inhale some of the (very) tiny droplets released by their coughing/sneezing or get them in your eyes (or an open wound of some kind). If you are getting jiggy with someone who's infected I'm guessing that would do it as well !
I think in the cases where they've identified an infected person who was on a plane, they are just checking everyone that was within 2 rows of that person, not the whole plane.

Some experts think this will be contained within weeks. Also consider that of the thousands of cases in China (4,515 at latest count) there have only been 106 deaths so far as most of the people infected make full recoveries.
From an article I just read:
"Official data suggested that most of the previous victims were between the ages of 65 and 80. Previously a 48-year-old woman with diabetes was the youngest reported fatality. The oldest were two 88-year-old men."

The youngest victim (so far) was a 36 year old male but they haven't mentioned if he had an underlying condition (like AIDS) that may have affected him.

It seems that there are only a total of about 45 cases identified outside of China (so far) as well in 13 different countries and in every case, the people infected were either from Wuhan or had recently visited there. 

Maybe less than that.

With respect, the chances of being infected are significantly higher than you state.

If a Tourist picks up the infection on the day of departure from China, and there is an incubation period of between 1 and 14 days, potentially that Tourist could have been all over the Country of Thailand on their 2 weeks vacation, and only show any signs of infection upon return to their Home Country.

Just 1 Tourist may have caused the infection to be spread to Hundreds of people in 14 days.

Airport Workers, Bus Drivers, Hotel Staff, Shop Workers Etc Etc Etc the list goes on and on.

And all of these people could then potentially spread the Virus to persons they are in contact with.

What you have is a Pyramid effect that just goes out of control if not managed correctly in time.

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The majority of the Chinese tourists going to Thailand (or anywhere else) are not coming from the infected areas so the chances are slim that many of them are carrying the virus.

In fact, of the known (8) cases in Thailand so far, 7 were Chinese tourists that came from Wuhan and one was a Thai woman who had returned from a visit to Wuhan. Most of the Chinese tourists coming to Thailand are not from Wuhan. Thinking they all come from the same place would be like saying the most of the expats in Thailand all come from Little ShagMySister in the Moors (not far from Draycott in the Moors I think).

And of those 8 cases, I believe 5 have tested clean (having fully recovered) and the other 3 are simply under observation. Once they've recovered they won't be infectious and probably will be immune to that virus in the future. 
Though the virus tends to mutate (quickly) and they could become infected with a different strain of the same virus in the future.

Just like the flu virus which mutates constantly which is why people have to get flu shots each year. But the shots they normally give are created on what the doctors think is the most prevalent strain of the season's new flu viruses.
That is why some people still get the flu even though they got a flu shot. 

For example, in Canada doctors may decide that it looks like the XY339 strain will be the biggest threat this year based on testing in Quebec and Ontario so they make the vaccines (flu shots) based on that. Basically they ignore all other strains that may have shown up in the testing and go for the one they think will be the biggest threat.

You get your shot and think you are safe, but you're in Vancouver and get exposed to the YX933 strain that 50 planeloads of people from Hong Kong, Taiwan and Manila brought with them. You get the flu and are upset because the shot didn't work. (And then next year it's the opposite and you still end up getting a flu because you got a shot meant to counter the prevalent strain on the West Coast and then run into one person who came from the East Coast and just happened to be sick with a different variant.)

I gave up on getting flu shots when I was in Canada and in the 20+ years since then I think I've been sick 3 times and 2 of those times was in Afghanistan.

Also remember, these kinds of viruses will usually have little effect on the average, healthy person besides the usual flu symptoms, even if you aren't in great shape.
The ones that are most affected tend to be the elderly, the very young and those with pre-existing ailments like lung cancer or an autoimmune disease. (That is why 5 of the 8 people identified in Thailand as being infected have already been cleared and gone home.)

Also remember that in order to get infected you'd literally have to be next to someone who is already infected and is coughing or sneezing close enough to you that you could inhale some of the (very) tiny droplets released by their coughing/sneezing or get them in your eyes (or an open wound of some kind). If you are getting jiggy with someone who's infected I'm guessing that would do it as well !
I think in the cases where they've identified an infected person who was on a plane, they are just checking everyone that was within 2 rows of that person, not the whole plane.

Some experts think this will be contained within weeks. Also consider that of the thousands of cases in China (4,515 at latest count) there have only been 106 deaths so far as most of the people infected make full recoveries.
From an article I just read:
"Official data suggested that most of the previous victims were between the ages of 65 and 80. Previously a 48-year-old woman with diabetes was the youngest reported fatality. The oldest were two 88-year-old men."

The youngest victim (so far) was a 36 year old male but they haven't mentioned if he had an underlying condition (like AIDS) that may have affected him.

It seems that there are only a total of about 45 cases identified outside of China (so far) as well in 13 different countries and in every case, the people infected were either from Wuhan or had recently visited there. 

Maybe less than that.

Sorry but your post is almost irresponsible.

You / we don't know anything about the virus. Please study all the articles in the press and stop sitting in front of the screen and believe and make your recommendations just concerning the statistics.

In whuan the hospitals running out of everything incl. test kits and staff. Many people are send home without testing. So how you think how accurate are those numbers?? Death certificates stating "pneumonia" as nobody have the time to check whether this is the virus or something else.

Additionally now nearly every news channel in the developed world tells that the numbers are under reported.

So stop commenting on the blunt statistics. It is not a flu, how the sickness will process in each case is unknown.

So I would not take the risk as it is not worth to take it.

I rather stuck to my capabilities to evaluate not to some  numbers which are not really trustworthy.

15 hours ago, Kerryd said:

In fact, of the known (8) cases in Thailand so far, 7 were Chinese tourists that came from Wuhan and one was a Thai woman who had returned from a visit to Wuhan.

All of whom flew on a plane with a hundred+ others. 

17 hours ago, hansnl said:

Like any government in any other country will initially do!

We are talking about Thailand???? It is thaivisa.com

Why try & bring other country's into it????

Are you trying to justify what this Government is doing to Thailand and its people???

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Haecksler said:

Please study all the articles in the press

You believe all that you read in the "press" ????

I thought there was more realisation that they were in the business of influencing, not informing, common misconception though, as most people are sheep ????

20 hours ago, Haecksler said:

Sorry but your post is almost irresponsible.

You / we don't know anything about the virus. Please study all the articles in the press and stop sitting in front of the screen and believe and make your recommendations just concerning the statistics.

In whuan the hospitals running out of everything incl. test kits and staff. Many people are send home without testing. So how you think how accurate are those numbers?? Death certificates stating "pneumonia" as nobody have the time to check whether this is the virus or something else.

Additionally now nearly every news channel in the developed world tells that the numbers are under reported.

So stop commenting on the blunt statistics. It is not a flu, how the sickness will process in each case is unknown.

So I would not take the risk as it is not worth to take it.

I rather stuck to my capabilities to evaluate not to some  numbers which are not really trustworthy.

You  certainly don't know anything that's happening in China. You think they're going to build a thousand bed hospital in Wuhan in six days and then stand and admire it?

But seeing as you like to get your information from a rabid press corps who are not just trying sell clicks, oh no siree, here's some more for you:

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/01/bill-sardi/your-chance-of-developing-symptoms-or-dying-from-the-menacing-coronavirus-that-now-threatens-global-human-populations-is-0-0000017482-symptoms-0-0000001137-death/

Your chance of developing symptoms or dying from the menacing coronavirus that now threatens global human populations is:

0.0000017482% Symptoms

0.0000001137% Death

Now, I've got this winged horse for sale...... ????