Phnom Penh’s ranking in World Crime Index not encouraging

geovalin

The ranking of Cambodia’s capital in the World Crime Index has worsened from last year.

This year, Phnom Penh achieved a Crime Index Score of 53.77, ranking it as the 278th Safest City in the World. In 2019, Phnom Penh ranked 228th globally after registering a score 53.25. This means that the level of crime in Phnom Penh has gone up since the last survey was conducted. The rankings were released by Numbeo, a respected, Serbia-based global database. The rankings are based on public perceptions.

The 2020 ranking covers 374 major cities around the world. Last year, only 319 cities were included in the survey. Despite its dismal ranking, Phnom Penh, Cambodia’s largest city, is still considered much safer than many cities in the United States, including Memphis, Baltimore, Detroit, Albuquerque, St Louis, Milwaukee, Oakland and New Orleans.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50684420/phnom-penhs-ranking-in-world-crime-index-not-encouraging

My first trip to PP, a guy on a m/c tried to snatch my phone about 20 minutes after I got off the bus.

Lucky for me my grip was stronger than his.

Lesson learned, don't stand near the edge of the road.

Haven't seen any other crime there, but several of my pals had encountered the snatchers.

Edited by BritManToo

Early 90s as untac moved out the place was totally chill. The streets at night were literally empty save for the few barang punters and hookers heading out to the clubs. 8pm dead quiet all about town.

Khmer were deathly afraid of ghosts.

That all wore off mid 96.

Edited by Number 6

13 hours ago, geovalin said:

The rankings are based on public perceptions.

More tourist , more perceptions . 

That and the fact that some people invite theft with the stupid things they do . Selfies from TukTuks with expensive phones  is irresistible to some . 

38 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

And many posters declare they will move to the greener grass of Cambodia, laughably,Viet Nam, Laos or the Philippines

Shhhhh. 

They want to go. No problem.

They also complain about the thai government. Ok, Prayut no so popular.

But

Laos= communist

Vietnam= communist

cambodia = Hun sen

Phillipines= crazy guy

And....

A94D5B4F-F753-4477-B7BF-4F2FA94D8BFF.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Shhhhh. 

They want to go. No problem.

They also complain about the thai government. Ok, Prayut no so popular.

But

Laos= communist

Vietnam= communist

cambodia = Hun sen

Phillipines= crazy guy

And....

A94D5B4F-F753-4477-B7BF-4F2FA94D8BFF.jpeg

You don't get it do you, foreigners who leaving Thailand don't go to work there it makes

it cheaper for foreigners to live there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It is merely based-on "perception" of safety, not actual crime stats.  More people are visiting Cambodia so more perceptions are being logged.

Types of crimes are not distinguished so being scammed with a bar bill is considered the same as being razored by a thief or your wallet.  

I'd rathered be scammed in PP than shot in J-burg.

Edited by Iron Tongue
Spelling

The public might perceive a greater threat due to the greater number of Chang vested foreigners escaping the draconian immigration rules of Thailand. I never felt threatened in PP, but the night life area felt a bit sinister, with a need to keep your wits about you. I recall a nice upmarket street with a few decent cafes, and lots of high end cars, a half decent shopping mall, and people pissing on the street.

23 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

I once witnessed a PP traffic dispute that was settled quite amicably!  Two cars were stopped when they faced each other down a narrow street.  Both drivers jumped out and I thought they were going to yell at each other for 30 minutes.  Instead, one guy lifted his shirt to show of his holstered pistol.  Immediately, the other guy gets in his car and backs down the street to make way.  Very amicable indeed!

I've seen this in Thighland. Guy on bike U-turns in front of traffic - as did everyone else, including me as right alongside him - Honda Jazz with window wound down took umbrage and admonished guy on bike. Guy on bike (all while still riding merrily) very coolly simply lifted jacked to display Rambo knife, to which Jazz wound up window and sped off. Stiley!